The Politics Thread

• Members

I think Buttigieg's first poll boost was down to the media (and debates). When he fell in the polls earlier this year there wasn't much attempt at Politico to try to turn things around. I think his current boost is more down to being a more ideal candidate for Iowa (and possibly New Hampshire). The main story about his being gay that has gotten attention in recent months was about how black voters feel about his homosexuality and whether that affects his campaign, which got a lot of coverage from people who refute the idea as well as those who believe it. That issue ended up being free media for Harris, Castro, etc. 

Speaking of Harris and Castro, both have had major campaign shifts in recent months, yet only Harris got heavy coverage. I think there is some media bias against her, but I think another reason for the coverage is because she was meant to be a frontrunner. Many in the media pegged her as a very strong chance for a nominee when names were thrown around, her launch was highly covered as a moment to remember, her first debate got tons of coverage and it was seen as a game-changer for both her and Biden. She called herself a top-tier candidate (which she was). So that makes for a juicer, more dramatic story. It's a "what happened?" story, which gets clicks. There's no such narrative for Castro because he never happened in the first place, which is why he only gets coverage when he attacks other candidates. 

If she gets some good slams on Buttigieg today I could see her getting a comeback narrative, because that's also good press, and it keeps the game going. That's mainly what the media cares about. Even with Hillary, someone many in the media absolutely detested, they played mind games in the 2008 primary to keep things stretched out, helping her get more sympathy and have the comeback win in New Hampshire.

Edited by DRW50

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm all about looking at candidate's policies and Buttigeig, honestly, has some bad ones.

Are millionaires and billionaires really clamoring for free education for their children?? And guess what? Non-degree programs still charge tuition. Many of the people who go to trade schools still have to pay tuition.  It's not a question of "pathways", it's a question of being able to afford these programs and having your certification not be for a diploma mill but accepted as genuine proof of your training and professionalism.

• Members

Training is a buzzword that goes nowhere. This isn't the UK, but I remember Margaret Thatcher had heavily promoted training programs and much of the time they led to no jobs. There's still an idea of if you learn then you get what you deserve, but that isn't how society works. It hasn't worked in a very long time. 

People still get upset when they hear "free college" because they think it's undeserved, or they think it's a pipe dream. And for many of the candidates running this year, it likely is a pipe dream, but it doesn't have to be that way. 

• Members

l am not for free tuition - a tax has to come in somewhere and I already pay taxes for people to go to school K-12, and I don't have kids.  I'm not going to support more taxes, or relieving bank loans...I paid my way through and so can everyone else.  I didn't go to my "dream school" and kids today are all about having everything - guess what, you might not get everything you want or if you do then pay for it.  I went to a Community College for 2 years with verification my credits would transfer and then transferred in to a University.  Wasn't the one I would have liked but I graduated with a BS and owed no money.  So they need to learn you may not always get your "dream everything'...that''s life.  

• Members

For some students, even tuition at a community college is a struggle.  I don't like to oversimplify issues.  Whether you like it or not, the American taxpayers already paid for the bank bailouts and the farmers bailouts as well as the bailout of the auto industry.  The weight load of the student loan debt is in the trillions.  All that debt is not going to be paid off in full, that's reality.

As someone who attended and graduated from two schools that are considered "prestigious" and paid a high friggin' price for it (even with large scholarships), I can say that something has to be done about the cost of tuition. It is embarrassingly high. Everyone should be embarrassed by how high tuition is here. 

Even the U.K. with its attempts to charge tuition (they never charged in the past) at their universities don't come anywhere close to the tuition rates in the U.S. I've discussed this with friends and colleagues who went to uni in the U.K. and they think, like our healthcare system, that the U.S. has an immoral standard in terms of cost.

Is this Mike Pompeo news brand new??  I feel like it's been said before that he was resigning but I think his Senate run prospects are tanked after Sondland's testimony today.

• Members

Isn't this point basically a slam of Bernie's free college plan? He wants free state school tuition for everyone no matter their income.  It's a bit of a straw man argument when other candidates argue that millionaires and billionaires would get free tuition. Sure, they technically would, but how many of those people are sending their kids to state school? I guess it could be an issue at some of the Cali state schools.

I don't believe free state school tuition will happen any time soon in the anti intellectual atmosphere that now permeates our culture.  If it ever does there will to have to be better messaging to get the public behind it. How many people out there incorrectly think this plan includes private colleges? Quite a few from what I've seen.

• Members

Seems like that defeats the purpose of narrowing the income inequality gap.  I'm not sure what he's thinking, I guess he figures if he taxes the rich to the hilt, somehow it will all work out?  Sanders hasn't been very forthcoming in providing details so I can't really say what his plan truly is. I've stopped taking him seriously quite a number of years ago.

• Members

I'm with you on this. And do people not remember. Reagan cut federal funding to state public universities by something like 75%. So anyone who went to college before I think 1995(I think that was when the final federal funding cap was in place) was able to goto a state PUBLIC university at affordable rates.

I get the idea that people think these students should be looking at other options. But students should also be able to goto the public school of their choice. Also Many places including Chicago for example provide tuition free assistance to students that are within certain income brackets and maintain  reasonable(not super exceptional) GPA. Our governor here has talked about subsidizing community colleges funding for students that fall within similar categories, but then we also have a huge budget deficit the state is trying to work toward resolving.