Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

What is it you dislike about Peters? Is he another anti-Hillary stooge?

Not even surprised that "evangelical" "leaders" are all in for abusers. Franklin Graham makes me sick, and Ralph Reed is someone who has already tried and failed at anything worth noticing.

• Members

Jeremy Peters had a very reviled piece about the poor misunderstood Trump voters who dig in deeper because of mean liberals which he angrily defended to Slate (to the same interviewer who just buried Ian Buruma at the NY Review of Books, among others). I raged about it months ago.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

That is so appalling, DD.  I don't know what to say, except I'm sorry that you (and other women) had to endure that nightmare.

Unfortunately, they do.  Another perfect example of people deliberately misinterpreting scripture -- "submitting," in that context, is definitely not what evangelicals say it means -- to support their own, butthead beliefs.

Edited by Khan

• Members

It was a weird off-putting interview. She seemed scornful of having to conduct the interviews in the first place and did and said everything possible to make me feel ill at ease.  Needless to say, I didn't get the job, I think my disdainful facial expression was a dead giveaway.  Speaking of dead...

I recently found out that the man who was the director of the organization died. TBH, I had no words of condolence but I do wonder whether that woman (his gatekeeper and god-knows-what else) is able to reflect on her behavior in the era of #MeToo. 

It seemed as if this particular woman had drunk the Kool-Aid and was drunk with the little bit of authority that she was able to wield as a gatekeeper.  

• Members

This just makes me roll my eyes.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/23/democrats-michelle-obama-trump-837499

Clegg called Michelle Obama “almost a perfect public figure,” and recalled in “We go high” a “gorgeous speech that really spoke to me in the moment.” But he added that “I think [Michelle] Obama would be the very first person to acknowledge … that what we faced in 2007 and 2008 was a wildly different world, and a wildly different media environment.” 

How soon many forget that Michelle Obama was not in a wildly different world or media environment in 2008 - she was viciously attacked by the right wing as hating America, and even allegedly liberal media pumped out magazine covers featuring her as gun-toting and militant. It's just that many on the left simply didn't care, as they also cared very little about anything said about her over the next 8 years (including repeated slams against her and her daughters like being compared to apes and monkeys), because they were too busy going on about what a disappointment she'd been and how she was supposed to use her First Lady role to march in the streets.

Her speech was about how she had to survive as First Lady, and beyond that, how black women generally have to survive in the world. Her speech wasn't meant to be a guidebook for people who never had a lot of respect for her in the first place. 

The truth is that many people in the 2016 election did attack Trump  - it's just that it wasn't enough. Yelling about Trump and what Trump was going to do just made the conversation even more about him and did nothing to make people less anxious about Hillary.

If their strategy is still nothing more than yelling about Trump, they will be in the same position in 2020 that they were in 2016. 

• Members

I can't agree we will be in the same place in 2018 and 2020. There are the willfully-blind cult members. True. But let us remember Trump was elected by more than his base because folks figured he was a businessman (who turned out to be Mr. Six Bankruptcies) and would "shake up" Washington. They believed his BS about draining the swamp as said outsider.

Instead, take a look around: Accused rapist as Supreme Court nominee - with the GOP's knowledge, insider after insider pleading guilty in court or making pleas for numerous illegal acts, and Trump is in the crosshairs. I believe the base cannot be converted. The rest? I think differently. With the Kavanaugh mess, you can bet your behind the GOP is not only angry about their puppet being in jeopardy, Kav and/or Trump, take your pick. But, outside the cult of GOP and religion, many, MANY woman are likely to vote - and the GOP knows it will not bode well for them.

Yes, people actually HAVE TO vote. But primaries and special elections have shown Dem enthusiasm that has not been seen in years. And I think the current mess with Kavanaugh, police shooting unarmed black men in their own homes, and all other forms of "WTF?" involving our current "leadership" are energizing the left, which is why many ARE finally waking the hell up. It's long overdue.

And, as an aside, look at Texas and the almost frenzy for Beto O'Rourke. Will he win? I have no idea. But it isn't for lack of energy or trying. If Texas is even CLOSE to going blue, you know people are just sick and tired of the whole mess and want to put a check on it or stop it altogether.

The left has more than "attack Trump" to work with here, and it's all thanks to the scum suckers of the GOP.

• Members

I'm with Wendy.

We have to fight and be loud. People want it and need it. Do we need more than that - absolutely. Otherwise you're just Bernie Sanders or scammers like the Krassenstein brothers. But anger is now necessary. I can't tell you how glad I am my immigrant grandparents are dead and didn't live through some of this vile shít in the last two years - Grandpa had enough trouble tolerating Bush.

• Members

I wasn't talking about 2018, I was talking about 2020, when Trump is on the ballot, but I do think that the same women who turned out to vote for him when he repeatedly attacked the physical appearance of women, insulted them by talking about menstrual bleeding, bragged on tape about "grabbing 'em by the !@#$%^&*]," will come out again this time, as he made it very clear who he was and how he felt about women in that campaign. 

I don't have any faith in the public, so I am just going to wait and see and expect the worst, as I did in 2016, but my main comments were about the article, which seemed to just be about how Democrats feel if they yell really really loud about Trump (the same thing they did two years ago, when it didn't work), then they will win.