The Politics Thread

• Members

Agree with all that you have said, UCLAN, however I still don't think it should be a mandatory requirement for graduation. Offer an incentive to entice them to engage in some form of community service, but don't force it. Forcing people to do things against their will never works... Do you believe, UCLAN, that free will is overrated?

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL!! Thanks, Greg... but I'm in a fairly decent enough mood. I am enjoying the debate here... UCLAN and even Roman have been great to chat with these days, whether or not we all agree on something. It's just nice to have intelligent conversation about issues with cool people... haven't done this in a good while!

I actually want Obama to succeed and turn things around. The world is a scary, uncertain place right now and I'll frankly take positive results from anyone, even a Democrat! ;) And I'm missed chatting with you, dude! I look forward to catching up via email... Lots of stuff to talk about...

• Members

No. Why don't you actually find something from one of the sites you go to, instead of responding like this and coming up with nothing.........if you have any site to get this from, or are you just making this bullshit up, you know, like you usually do? LOL!

Edited by Roman

• Members

Ah, now that's a good question. How free is our free will? Well, I think we have the ability to make a choice, but that choice is shaped by so many parameters. Laws, social conventions, what would my family say, what would Jesus do? All of that affects the chioces we make.

In regards to grad requirements. We already "force" so much on our students. In the past 20+ years, the number of credits required for graduation has risen from 160 to 230. LAUSD is even thinking of adding 10 more. How many of our students are even interested in courses offered in H?. They take them cause they have to. Could this be one of the reasons our dropout rates are so high? Our kids just aren't into school. I believe we need to go to a model like one in England where students can attend a vocational or trade school to prepare them for a job.

• Members

Ahh, yes, we agree about that. I also work in education, though not directly with students. My son is a freshman in high school so I have a front row seat right now in what he is doing at that level, while my nieces are both in elementary school. Most of the electives offered are time-fillers and time-wasters...

But back to what we were previously discussing... Do you feel that free will should be disregarded and mandatory community service be pushed forth as a graduation requirement? Do you feel kids would put their heart and soul into something they didn't wish to be involved in?

• Members

I had previously stated to Greg that the world was not happy with President Obama. I guess I'll offer this for Roman, who demands that I provide links to the "bullshit" that I'm "making up".

"It is a meddling in the internal affairs of Europe. The EU is not Obama's plaything. ...He should accept Turkey as America's 51st state instead." --Bernd Posselt, European Parliament, Bavaria.

"There is no question that the US has a voice in NATO. But when it comes to membership in its own club, the EU decides by itself. We don't need any tutoring from abroad." --Markus Ferber, European Parliament Candidate

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe...00.html#ref=rss

One group that isn't angry with him currently, though, are Muslims. I'm relieved that they have cheered him for his comments that we are not at war with Islam. Oddly enough, Bush said that same thing repeatedly. I guess it isn't what is said... but who says it that matters. :D

• Members

Well, I am in agreement with the service learning requirement that LAUSD has in place. It's often done in conjunction with an academic class. I feel that students rise to the occasion when asked. Often they are not in favor of doing the deed, but usually respond positively when they become involved. I guess my experience is with minority lower economic students. I work in a non-public school. The majorty of the students are designated ED. These are students who usually are not aware of the different avenues of service that are open to them. Most are sometimes on the receiving end of someone else's charitable act. Sometimes we all are put in a position of doing something we don't want to doand sometimes we experience joy and satisfaction that we couldn't imagine we would feel.

When you put it in terms of free will, then the answer gets a little gray. Look again at my first answer. Do we disregard free will in a lot of areas of our life? Is the community service requirement a means of teaching compassion and caring for our fellowman? Is that something that is sorely lacking these days?

• Members

"Bernd Posselt, a member of the European Parliament from Bavarian's conservative Christian Social Union (CSU)".

CONSERVATIVE CSU. You mean to tell me you can't find one source, that is not liberal OR CONSERVATIVE, that backs this BULLSHIT up?

Thank you, Brian, for proving my point. LOLOLOLOLOL!

European Parliament from Bavarian?! WTF is that?! LOLOLOLOL! That's like saying "well. Rush Limbaugh said therefor it's true!"

Edited by Roman

• Members

Hi UCLAN!

Absolutely, we are all put in positions of doing things we don't like... and sometimes it turns out well. Often, I must go places and deal with people through my work that is outside of my normal "safe zone" -- and I almost always thoroughly enjoy it. But I get paid to do it and generally it serves as a means to a work-related end. When dealing with the public, I make sure they are happy with my presence and involvement, and that they feel good about my being there (I'm trying really hard not to give away too much about what my work involves, so bear with me!) Again, though, it's my job. I signed up for it... fortunately, I love it. :)

But teaching compassion and caring for our fellow man... I agree that it is something that is sorely lacking these days... and it is parents and immediate family that must instill that in their children. Educators enough on our plates these days without that work falling into the classroom where the basics of education are lacking and some students underserved. UCLAN, I see what some may wish to accomplish by the community service requirement, but it isn't practical to burden educators with yet another graduation requirement while they barely have time to teach basics in class. Because we, as a society, sometimes adopt policies that clearly trample on the supposed "free" element of our society doesn't mean we should embrace still more policies that push us away from personal choice and free will. We should resist a move in that direction for obvious reasons.

If policymakers wish more involvement in community service from young people, then they must offer some incentives for that sort of involvement. Sure, give those who wish to participate additional credits for high school or college. Perhaps corporate funding in the form of scholarships. I would support that.

• Members

Roman, your narrow American definition of what conservatives and liberals stand for don't always translate into like policies around the world. Please broaden your horizons and understanding of things when discussing people, policy, and issues affecting the globe.

• Members

I am an assistant professor and service learning has been in place for well over a decade. I too see the value of service learning. It was one of the issues that Obama and McCain agree on during the campaign.

Moving on to a different topic, I'm reading the book "The Big Sort" now. It talks about how people are moving into politically homogenous communities. I find people's tendency now to only live around or pay attention to opinions that mirror their own very disturbing. We now have the Republican and Democratic news channels. I don't think it speaks well for our system of representation.

Edited by Jess

• Members

I don't call people names, Roman... nor do I imply things... I simply point out the obvious. :lol:

But as to the supposed meat of your most recent post... well, here is something more substantial from Britain:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/gerald_warner...ey_on_the_block

Barack Obama: President Pantywaist - new surrender monkey on the block

President Barack Obama has recently completed the most successful foreign policy tour since Napoleon's retreat from Moscow. You name it, he blew it. What was his big deal economic programme that he was determined to drive through the G20 summit? Another massive stimulus package, globally funded and co-ordinated. Did he achieve it? Not so as you'd notice.

It's a good article. You should read it so that you may keep up on less-restricted viewpoints -- as I said, broaden your horizons.

Edited by GoldenDogs