The Politics Thread

• Members

Ahhh, Alpha... you are making it more palatable for me!! Of course, I'm still not sold on the idea. I mean, as long as we (especially here in California) are failing to so much as teach remedial math and English, I think it's ridiculous to throw something else on to an already messy plate. With failing schools and detached students, particularly in low-income areas, community service would be a farce.

Now, I'm not saying that such programs don't do some good. I just question the practicality of it all. But getting back to at-risk youth and the more economically-depressed areas, I have seen through my work how involving at-risk youth in community service programs helps THEM... but this is basically a self-worth thing. Every child needs to feel valued and such service gives them that, along with mentoring on some level. But these are very young children. By the time they reach middle school, you're really done and there isn't too much you can do to deter their course. You can try... you can sink money into program after program for middle and high school age kids, and it just doesn't work because the issues with those kids begin and end at home. I've always thought it to be ridiculous that some think that the 6 to 7 hours a kid is at school can have more of an impact on them than the seventeen plus hours a weekday they are at home at potentially with negative influences. Riiiiiight....

Anways, you're awesome Alpha... You're making me think harder about these things. :)

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm about to applaud President Obama TWICE in one day... Yes, I'm feeling well... :)

President Obama's most liberal supporters say they are dismayed and disgusted because this administration is invoking the "state secrets" privilege -- just as former President George W. Bush did -- to shield eavesdropping programs from public exposure.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100da...-secrecy-rules/

Another good call, Mr. President. Sometimes, extraordinary actions must be taken to protect the citizens of our country! I don't know if the proponents of "Change" are as thrilled with this bit of "status quo", but I'm am. Protecting America shouldn't be a partisan issue.

• Members

Not so fast, Roman.

WASHINGTON -- Retail sales fell unexpectedly in March, delivering a setback to hopes that the economy's steep slide could be bottoming out.

The Commerce Department said Tuesday that retail sales dipped 1.1 percent in March. It was the biggest decline in three months and a much weaker showing than the 0.3 percent increase that analysts expected.

A big drop in auto sales led the overall slump in demand. Sales also plunged at clothing stores, appliance outlets and furniture stores.

Just because Obama says things are looking better doesn't just make it so... no matter how hard he wishes his policies are the answer...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/14...pectedly-march/

• Members

But you know some of these inner city programs are the hook for a lot of at risk kids. No you don't make an impact on all, but you do make an impact. Some times it is the smallest impact that you see. I work with at risk special needs students (consider it a double whammy). You learn to measure your success in tiny increments. And they are successes. I feel if you reach a student on any level, you have a modicum of success. A lot of these programs are the bridges to the trust and security some students lack at home. Anyway, that has been my experience in the educational setting that I work in. Sometimes little things do make a difference

• Members

Thanks, UCLAN. Numbers are numbers... there is no news organization, bias or otherwise, that would cook up government numbers like that. I'm sorry the news isn't so good... But it is the news that IS on the story. Perhaps FOX is every bit on right leaning as CNN and MSNBC are left leaning... but all of them report this type of stuff accurately and fairly.

• Members

Unfortunately, I think things will get worse before they get better. People aren't spending money; they're not buying big ticket items. I know the incentives are there, but the money isn't in our pockets. And if you have any money, your saving or spending very wisely. I think our economic recovery will be slow and we will be hearing both upward and downward stories for a long time.

• Members

Here is an interesting, kind of related story, UCLAN, and I would be interested in your take on this...

My wife and I had a bit of a disagreement last night. Our son is 14 and a freshman in high school. He announced last night that he wanted to take three boxes of tissue to class as his algebra teacher was looking for donations. Apparently the school doesn't provide tissue. For each box of tissue brought in by a student, that student received 10 extra credit points. My immediate reaction was "Hell no!!" A better grade for tissue? Then I was a little irritated that the school didn't provide tissue... then I got more irritated that some teachers aren't teacher but, rather, taking classroom time to bitch about the budget issue.

My wife was like, "So what? Send some tissue." The boy was immediately defensive and argued with me that his science teacher paid $250 out of his own pocket for a projector bulb. Again, I was like, "What the hell? How do YOU know about your science teacher's personal finances?" With all the fiscal talk in class pushing aside lesson time, no wonder there isn't time for mandatory community service! :lol::lol:

The boy is taking a box of tissue as I finally just said, "Whatever, do what you want, but in the future, take your own damn tissue to school and let everyone else fend for themselves!" I told my wife later, I'd feel much better about it if he took a box of tissue in and told the teacher he didn't want 10 points for it. I think that's a bigger issue for me... bartering better grades for tissue. What next? Bonus points for toilet paper or tampons?

I know the budget crisis is making things tough for educators (as if they weren't already!), but come on... I think this is a bit ridiculous. As for the dude buying a projector bulb, I have money that says he'll get reimbursed for that because, budget crisis or not, if there is some old media that meets a California standard, the district WILL make sure that standard is met and the media viewed... Why a teacher is discussing his personal expenditures with students is beyond me. What next? Bitching about his alimony payments?

Anyways... would like your opinion on this one, given your proximity to students... :)

• Members

Well, I agree with your "take the tissue but no extra credit points." ( I think each student should be responsible for their own and choose to share if they want)In terms of budget and the projector; I would venture to say that the projector was the teacher's personal property. If not, I could see him/her having to buy the bulb and NOT get reimbursed. It's quite possible that the projector is a teaching aid choice by the teacher.There are some things that are considered non-essential and aren't included in school supplies. Tissue is one of them. Many teachers are in the position where they are purchasing supplies for their classroom, ie bulletin board materials, extra paper, pencils, incentives. (Notice all the educator discounts at Staples, Office Depot etc.) School districts can barely pay teacher's salaries. I work at a non-public school. School districts pay us a daily rate per student. We are responsible for purchasing our own curriculum (but we're mandated to use theirs), supplies, salaries, providing transportation etc. Even though the majority of our students would qualify for the Federal School lunch program, it is not available to us, so we provide lunch for our students. One SELPA is asking us to take a rate cut and our rates for 2009-2010 have been frozen by LAUSD. We do not provide tissue for out students. We did in the past, but there was too much waste.

My guess is that possibly your son's algebra class is full of student's with allergies or colds and they constantly have runny noses. They keep asking for tissue, so the teacher got on the soap box and gave the 411 on the issue. Thus he/she came up with the idea of tissue for extra credit points. I don't know of any school that provides tissue for students in this day. :D

• Members

Thanks UCLAN... Your opinion on this is valuable to me.

I had heard that LAUSD is enduring massive layoffs... I personally think we are paying to some degree for years of misuse of funds by school district administrators. Given my proximity to education, it probably isn't politically correct of me to say that, but I think the massive amounts of money shoveled at education the past many years has not yielded satisfactory results here in California. And the blame doesn't totally rest on No Child Left Behind -- when people lean too heavily on NCLB as the cause of all problems, they are being dishonest about things in our state. But that is to discuss another day...

We were at Mulholland Middle School about a year ago shooting some promotional stuff for California Streaming and saw some very good teachers doing very good work. Was quite impressive... but there was also a turkey or two in the bunch. For the most part, regardless of how much money is tossed at education, success or failure rests with good teachers and concerned parents.

As for bringing tissues for points... BIG MISTAKE. Heck, I'll just stop by and drop a $5 bill Mr. Math's way in exchange for 20 extra credit points... how's about that? LOL! Seriously, I really do believe attaching points to "goods" is ridiculously stupid. My son's success should be measured by the quality of his work, not how many goods he brings to class.

And returning to politics so as not to enrage Roman by straying too far off topic, I witnessed a tea party today during my lunch hour. There was a HUGE number of people amassed at a street corner and down the block downtown... people honking to cheer them on. I guess it's true.... there are actually other people who feel we're taxed a tad heavy, particularly here in the Tax and Regulation Capital of America. Ehhh... but we have a beautiful coastline. B)