Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Plus, our very own election should have taught us how unpredictable societies can be.  If you reread this thread in the days leading up to the election (which I cannot bring myself to do, we were so hopeful), you see that only you and Q thought Trump stood a real chance.  That makes me doubt that any of us know what to expect from the Germans or anyone else in the years to come.  I'll hope for the best, but Merkel won't be in charge forever. Once the nuclear cat is out of the bag it's out, no matter who is leading Germany or Europe.  Who among us thought we'd have to worry about someone as unstable as Trump having the US codes even two years ago?

• Members

I actually don't disagree with what he's saying and I am glad he acknowledges that you don't have to be all economics or all progressive values, you can espouse and message on both, and I agree that still the messaging is terrible for the party itself.  But I guess the struggle in individual races I don't see. I think Ossoff is doing well in Georgia because he is focusing on those issues that his district supports(note that Universal Health Care is not a major selling point there). I think the same thing applied to Thompson to a lessor degree in Kansas. And while I think the coalation that Obama started is the way to go, I wonder why the party can't come up with a list of 5 basic tenets that resonate with voters. Lord hire a good marketing company and do it. And stop trying to appeal to peoples heads and go for their hearts and make it simple. I hate to say dumb it down but dumb it down.

And someday a terrorist group is going to get a nuke once everyone has them and then we are done for.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I noticed that Turner retweeted an article from Matt Taibbi that pointedly chose not to mention that the Republican in Montana already had most of his vote banked before Election Day, I guess because that would have clashed with a narrative that was all about how terrible the Democrats are and how Hillary would still lose to DOnald today. 

I have a lot of issues with the Democratic Party and I do agree with Joe Biden to a point about middle-class issues (while there still is a middle class...), but the Russia controversies will take a lot of coverage whether Democrats talk about it or not. It's a serious issue, and I think many are speaking from a place of naivete as they still think Russia is on our side or is unfairly maligned. My main complaint is that I don't really believe any of these investigations will go anywhere, so I do wish we had more plans and more of a contrast, but many of those who are unhappy with the Russia focus aren't coming up with any better ideas. 

A lot of these special elections we just weren't going to win. The DNC likely wouldn't even have gotten involved if not for pressure, and I think in some cases they should have stuck to their guns. The heavy focus on these burns people out fast and crushes their spirit. 

• Members

Voter suppression isn't as "sexy" as Russian interference, I guess?

If we learned anything at all from "Mad Men," it's that advertising is what counts with the American public.  Find the right slogan and then sell the crap out of it.

• Members

Also America detests dealing honestly with issues of race and the way it is used to marginalize and disempower some. It brings into sharp relief the fact that the notion of being "post-racial" was a myth used to make folks feel better about the scourge of America's "Original Sin" and its legacy.

Discussing race and how it is used as a function to wield power while making others feel powerless/worthless over America's history honestly makes many people uncomfortable. Race was used as a tool to keep slavery going over centuries to build America's economic machinery.

People, to phrase Jack Nicholson "...can't handle the truth". 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

You had one job to do, Donny.  One. Job.  But, instead of just standing still, you acted, once again, like the asshat you are.

Man, I wish it was 2024 already.

And here's the irony: he was stone cold sober the entire time.

(Which makes me wonder...what would Trump be like if he WERE drunk?)

• Members

Trump is doing great work...for Russia.

His overturning Obama's recent policy shift toward Cuba means that the Cuban government will once again be in Russia's orbit, as they were in the 50 years prior. They will probably be quite receptive to Moscow's overtures, in the future.

Also, I'm reading this article that says that now that Italy is no longer within the U.S. sphere of influence, Russia is swooping in to fill the void.

With Italy No Longer in U.S. Focus, Russia Swoops to Fill the Void

Although this has nothing to do with Russia, it does have to do with Trump's seemingly innate ability to cause chaos in U.S. industries.  First the citrus industry, now another food industry.

Trump's delay of calorie-posting rule jolts restaurants

Edited by DramatistDreamer