The Politics Thread

• Members

CNN gave Trump daily access to free campaign promotion beginning some time around the summer in 2015.  Both Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon took turns at interviewing him daily and basically brushing off his rhetoric by presenting him as some sort of friend.  In so doing, they normalized his words and gave him some degree of credibility.  Maybe they saw it as a harmless way to get ratings since they probably didn't think he'd get elected but giving him all that airtime to spout off certainly helped him reach more people than had they not.  I don't think they started to show concern until it was too late to dismiss him.  CNN got the ball rolling and the other cable news networks just followed.

Their viewers might appreciate not being subjected to the daily lies and distortion of reality served up by Kellyanne Conway and Sean Spicer.  He's generally abrasive and easily irritated and she is unable and/or unwilling to answer a question.  She can't seem to even answer a "yes" or "no" question.  Everything has to be twisted into some tale of the media not appreciating and recognizing the greatness of Trump or some false equivalency used to try to excuse Trump's actions. 

Actually all three of them (Priebus, Conway and Spicer) are a waste of time.  They all try to spin everyone along in some intentionally convoluted web that has nothing to do with whatever the topic is.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's still incredible to me how Teen Vogue, of ALL publications, has stepped up since the election.  Don't get me wrong, I applaud their work.  But it's just so bizarre.

Next thing you know, Black Hair Monthly's gonna blow the lid off Trump's plan for martial law in predominantly African-American communities.

Edited by Khan

• Members

CNN has been empty and pandering for many years. I think Ted Turner has even said as much. I remember tuning in for their Iraq invasion coverage in 2003 and quickly noticing it was nothing more than Aaron Brown taking off his glasses 500 times to show us how Serious and Important the matter was. No mention of actual issues. Then there was their coverage of the BLM protests and the conflict with cops, which amounted to Don Lemon saying the place must stink of weed. 

I will never praise any of the cable news outlets or most of the press for ever stumbling onto any truth. Too little too late. The only reason they say a peep is because Trump doesn't pat them on the head the way W and McCain often did. And they are doing absolutely nothing to help anyone at this point. They are just doing what they do best - putter in impotent self-important outrage while waiting for the next shiny object.

• Members

I'm based in Melbourne, Australia, and I was fortunate enough to have visited the US for the first time in August last year when I went to Seattle to see a couple of friends up there. Even then, immigration going through LAX was akin to being interrogated for first degree murder.

And I'm glad it was Seattle I got to experience for my first US visit, as it is honestly one of the most socially progressive cities in the USA from what I have read. With Trump's election, I can firmly say that I will not be going back to the USA anytime soon, particularly while he is President.

• Members

File this under the growing list of people who didn't pay attention to Trump's words, either didn't believe what he was going to do (despite him campaigning on this issue) or didn't think it would affect them, therefore didn't care.

Now their relatives are going to stuffer due to the stupidity of their own family members.

Family of Syrians Deported From Philadelphia Voted for Donald Trump

• Members

This is so upsetting - it's just awful. And again it shows how many won't listen to what someone says. They will always think it doesn't apply to them. It does. And if it doesn't today, it will tomorrow. 

Anyway, if you want a palate cleanser, this is an interesting piece on the feud between ex-British PM Cameron and the editor of the Daily Mail, which likely helped push the tides toward Brexit.

(I can't help wondering how relieved Cameron must now be to be out of there after the way Theresa May has to embarrass herself with our dear leader)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38816692

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It's sad but we've got to resist the urge to help people who voted against their own interests. It's tough for us on the left because empathy is a core value but too many people simply aren't motivated by empathy or hope or the idea that we are "stronger together." They are motivated by selfishness, fear and only learn through pain.