Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's so bizarre how soaps keep cropping up in the coverage of this surreal election:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/nyregion/trump-won-the-election-but-3-manhattan-buildings-will-lose-his-name.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

"Linda Gottlieb, a resident who started the petition, was elated. 'We won,' Ms. Gottlieb, a film and television producer, said. 'We used the power of protest to say that we don’t have to accept the spread of the man’s influence into our very homes. To me, it feels like a cleansing of the place where I live.'”

I'm glad to see Trump's "brand" already becoming a liability in business (not that it matters, as he's now guaranteed a pension that will be even further above and beyond the resources that most of us will have in our golden years, after he and the congressional Republicans get through with Social Security and Medicare).  But I couldn't imagine wanting to live in a Trump building at any point since he started slapping his name on things, based on the reputation he's had for decades, and I think a lot of people are going to have to deal with a lot worse under a Trump presidency.  We all have to come to grieve/protest in our own way, though.

Per my earlier post, the obit said that Claire Labine passed away on Election Day, not a few days later as was earlier reported.  I choose to believe that she went to the polls and voted for a female president, came home to take a nap, and passed peacefully in her sleep before any returns came in.

• Members

According to Andrea Mitchell, the Trump team has requested for Trump's son in law Jared Kushner to have top secret clearance. Mitchell also noted that there was no precedent for this.

I think I'm done. I cannot take any more of this. This is crazy and I need to preserve my mental health.

• Members

He's also behind a purge of anyone with Christie ties, it seems. This has alarmed Republicans who played go-along-to-get-along with Trump because they thought that it would lead to people like Mike Rogers being in major national security roles. Rogers has now been dumped. 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/politics/mikes-rogers-leaves-trump-transition-team/index.html

I actually do wonder if we'll see some Republican Senate opposition to some of his choices for the Cabinet. 

Soaps really need voices like hers today. I guess she is still out there fighting. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm relieved that President Obama is going to stay involved in politics and help people organize.  We really have no idea what exactly is coming for us, we just know that this is one of the most dangerous periods in American history. If Trump and his ilk manage to intimidate and control the press we'll know we are really screwed in a way that may go past the next four years.

• Members

Michael Tracey (late of Vice News, fired for doxxing Lena Dunham last week) has now fully embraced his role as Breitbart/Trump propagandist.

This is why I can never fully trust or agree with the online left. Because the ideologues on both sides are never far apart.

• Members

Trump Transition in Chaos was the headline I saw when I tuned into CBS This Morning. Already a steaming sh*tshow. Great job, America!

@Juliajms Yeah, I read some time ago that President Obama will be working with former Attorney General Eric H. Holder on redistricting issues- something that badly needs to be tackled as Republicans have been 'running the table' and manipulating gerrymandering to scoop up seats for the GOP during midterm elections-- now using that same tactic in the general (along with flat-out voter suppression).

I want Obama as far away from as Trump and his cabal as possible.

Obama now has to soothe skeptical Europeans around the globe about the USA being a reliable diplomatic partner but even he had to admit that they have to guard against a "crude" sort of nationalism based on ethnicism, tribalism.

Shame that Obama had to begin his administration trying to rebuild trust around the world after the Bush years, now he has to calm and soothe nerves about what's to come with a Trump administration.

And 6 Southern states are having wildfires which made me think of James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time.

• Members

I have friends and associates who still live in NYC and they are complaining about the disruption that so much security and helicopters are causing. Usually this type of madness is reserved for the annual convening of the U.N. in September.

I have seen on the regional news (as I'm technically still in the NYC tri-state area) that residents and business owners located near Trump buildings are complaining about the total disruption to their way of life and that it is expected to last until January and possibly beyond that. Some merchants are complaining about a loss of business as their establishments have now become harder to get to.

• Members

So a lot of the people arrested in the Portland riot didn't even bother to vote.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/more-than-half-of-arrested-anti-trump-protesters-didnt-vote/351964445

This is why I'm not going to be out protesting. These people will show up and tear [!@#$%^&*] up in the street but they won't vote so I'm perfectly happy to let them be the cannon fodder because at the end of the day, it's all just theater to them.