Massive, Across the Board Paycuts at ABC Daytime?!

• Members

I think B&B and Y&R are the best shows to work on in daytime. Even if those actors were asked to take reduced salaries, I highly doubt we would be talking 40-50% paycuts. More like no raises or 10% paycuts... They have nice studios in Los Angeles, nice dressing rooms...

As for OLTL- I would honestly get rid of RSW or make him recurring. I would ditch the entire McBain family... There are so many obvious ways to reduce the costs. Sleazak and Woods are the only two actors even close to a million per year.. Strasser took a massive paycut to return years ago and I doubt she is even near $450,000

And on that note.. HOW DOES OLTL have this huge casting budget? They seem to have no problem getting anyone they want back on the show! Where do they cut costs? The show looks outstanding and is the only ABC soap that is pretty to look at.

I have to give them credit!

If actors like Slezak. Lucci, ect are offered a 40% paycut- I think they can afford to take it financially. These actors obviously invested well and are set for life.. and its not like they would take it as a personal insult considering the state of daytime and in a much larger sense, the world in general.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B&B and Y&R operate like old Hollywood...the stars are dressed well, the dressing rooms are spacious and receive room service (seriously), the flowers are real, the acting coaches are on set (thank you PR!)...it's all about keeping morale up and everyone happy.

OLTL does manage to LOOK decent given it's budget. It looks much better than GH and AMC, GH looking the worst I believe.

I think the Lucci's and Slezak's are fine with a pay cut, they knew it was coming and after decades of making serious cash they have all invested and saved so it won't be a big shock. It's the Strasser's who will be angry, already not making what they used to and now having their salaries cut again...expect some people to walk. If they do, good luck to them, it's a cold world out there.

• Members

Plus given Strasser's tendency to bitch on her hotline anytime she's unhappy about anything, I don't see TPTB being all that interested in placating her. I think she's standing firmly at the intersection of Suck it Up Avenue and Don't Piss Us Off Boulevard. And she's not alone.

• Members

LMAO!!!

All I know is,I hope BW knocks that Jess/Brody pairing out of the park...As for Natalie, she'll be scheming in no time. Most likely against her sister- pumping up the Jess/Natalie Buchanan fan wars. But if all else fails, just get Marcie to take one of those babies.

• Members

I suspect Marcie will be gone within the next six months. Kathy Brier has options outside of OLTL. She on my "list" of soap actors that I look forward to seeing at the theatre. I've gotten to see REG and Kerry Butler (both were fab!). I'm still working on Tim Stickney, Kathy Brier and of course Darnell and Debbie when, and if, they decide to do theatre again.

• Members

Bill Bell was like Aaron Spelling in that it was all about the details. From scripts to skirts these guys knew that BOTH really mattered (totally just stole that sentence from Joan Collins' memorial to Spelling at the Emmys)...

The reason Y&R has always had fresh cut flowers is Lee Phillip Bell's brother, Russ, owns an upscale floral shop in Chicago and sends Y&R fresh flowers each week at cost. That said, at cost is still an expense. The Bells don't care mind you, they realize you have to spend money to make money. When they faced a budgeting problem in the early days of B&B when it came time to build the Forrester mansion set, Bill and Lee paid for it out of their own pocketbooks.

Oh and a quick note: LML thought the floral arrangements on Y&R were 'wasteful' and tried to limit their use drastically.

• Members

And she probably would have insisted upon organic flowers, if there is such a thing, when she used them.

I have been accused of being shallow when I say, of GL, that looks MATTER. The visual appeal is the "hook" that helps draw you into the story. This is not a one-time thing. Eventually, the look of a show also makes it feel like "home" if it is maintained.

While many primetime shows have signature "looks", most of daytime doesn't. I have appreciated that Y&R (and, to a lesser extent, B&B) has tried to maintain that feeling of "home". It is even better that the "home" is luxurious, sumptuous, and a place I therefore like to spend a little time.

If you cannot attract young viewers because they think soaps are cheesy and uncool...then making them LOOK cheesy is not going to help your cause.

Archived