• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's a shame if talk of JvA not wanting an on-screen reminder that she was old enough to grown daughter was true, since I think Lucy should have joined Knots Landing. Even though Charlene was not the strongest actress, I certainly think she would have risen to the occasion when the script called for it.

The best time for her character to have joined would have been circa 1985, right after she remarried Mitch. They could have had Mitch transfer to a hospital close to Knots Landing and they could move there to start fresh. Not only would that have reinforced the original concept of the show, but having both of them on the show could have provided extra support/texture to Val's story, which would have been the twin story. I often wonder how different it would have been having Lucy there during that time frame, would Val have still gone crazy?

I would have loved to have seen Lucy and Abby tangle, that alone would have been a gold-mine for the writers. Plus, I could have seen Paige and Lucy becoming rivals especially when it comes to Mitch. I could also see Lucy working at Lotus Point as a hostess, or even doing public relations for the resort.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

And how, CarlD. Knots' season finale the previous year was the number 1 rated episode of the week, and overall, finished the season at #17. In the autumn of 1986, up against Cheers and Night Court on NBC, Knots had fallen to 43rd place within six weeks of the time change. Why CBS ever thought that move would work is imcomprehensible. At least they conceded defeat and quickly moved Knots back to 10pm, effectively reversing the ratings decline.

• Members

^ That does sound stupid of CBS. Perhaps they thought that KL would be strong enough to provide competition for CHEERS but it obviously put them in severe danger.

That's a funny promo though! They might as well have said, "we screwed up, please start watching again!" lol

• Members

That fall, CBS had a new medical drama Kay O'Brien starring Patricia Kalember. The net gave Kay O'Brien the Knots timeslot believing that women would choose KL over Cheers/Night Court on NBC and The Colbys on ABC. They did not trust a new series going up against that competition. KL and The Colbys basically split the female audience who watched soaps, while the remaining women, men, and kids all stayed with sitcoms on NBC. I recall many women complaining that the time period conflicted with them getting kids ready for bed and preparing things for the next morning. Kay O'Brien was an epic bomb. New viewers were not interested, and KL fans did not watch either as they blamed it for their soap's ratings decline.