KNOTS LANDING

• Members

I always wished they'd done more with the Ciji/Laura relationship - I know that they weren't interested in each other, that was just Richard's paranoia, but Cathy was so butch, I might have believed that character with Laura (I never believed her with any men...).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I almost feel as if the writers had intended to make Ciji and Laura a lesbian couple BECAUSE Richard made such a deal about it. (And really, who could blame him? I felt the overtones between the two women were strong and undeniable.) But CBS and/or Lorimar were just too skittish to let them go ahead with it.

• Members

IIRC, Constance McCashin or Lisa Hartman Black said in an interview how they joked about Ciji and Laura being lovers. Even to the point of turning their backs to the camera during one scene and then turning back around to reveal mustaches.

• Members

You have to remember this was 30 years ago - no flipping way. Even Dynasty copped out with Steven once the show became a hit - suddenly he's bi and basically straight, which was fine. (Part of it was the Al Corley somehow gave off sheer sexuality - all the way around; Coleman - not so much in any respect.)

It was kind of amazing how KL unwittingly killed off Ciji before they realized the ratings were moving up, up, up (and the demos were getting much better). KL, I believe, finished that season maybe in March or April? Anyway, the production cycle was way ahead and it wasn't until they realized they risked losing the entire young audience they gained. Lisa Hartman truly saved KL at a point when most of it's audience was very old.

I always loved that last shot of Ciji picture and then the cut to the dark ocean and her body on the beach. The irony is that when you look at the clip - it doesn't necessarily mean that she's dead! She could have been unconscious, etc. However, I did like all the twists with Cathy Geary (initials C.G. - KL writers' humor).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wonder if CBS saw where they were going and made them back off. It has been said many times that ABC was the instigator of making Steven "Less Gay" on Dynasty, It was just a matter of Esther knuckling under to pressure, and they lost Al Corley because of it. He saw the role as his chance to make television history, and when they wanted to water the character down, he wanted none of it. I think the chemistry between Laura and Ciji was VERY palpable, Connie and Lisa played that element to perfection.

Edited by alphanguy74

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Do you think the show was short-sighted turning Jill into a psycho? She was a pretty decent gray character that had friendships with Mack and Karen, a decent snark partner with Abby, and a built in rival in Paige given what happened to Peter. I think the Jill going psycho and trying to kill Val seemed out of left field for me, imho.

Plus, with the departure of key characters, I think she would have been a strong player in the later seasons.

• Members

I think Jill had already been going the psycho way for quite a while, so it didn't bother me too much, although I didn't think the ending of the story was that good (and it felt abruptly wrapped-up). I do wish they'd explored more of her relationship with Sumner.

Given her relationship and breakup with Ted Shackelford, I'm not sure if she would have stayed on the show anyway.