OLTL: Michael Logan's Rant about Carlivati

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show wasn't on fire, it was wrapping up DH's old s/l's- and quite disconnected. It wasn't bad, but it was not on fire. Christmas had a few magic moments. But all sweeps up until May were bad- writer's strike or not. Gary Tomlin is the one who rocked up the show and lit a match....before that we were going to be treated to more paternity reveals.

The show was good for a month and a half- without showcasing half the cast- (Mendorra group missing). And was quite intriguing thanks to Ramsey....but I can't say it would have been on fire without the help of some good hype.

• Members

I hope Ron has learned a very important lesson from Mendorra. Don't just bring a character back because you (or the fans) want to see him/her return. The story is the #1 consideration before bringing ANYONE back. There has to be a good story behind the return or you might as well forget it.

McTavish learned this lesson when she brought back Quint and Nola to GL. Peter Brash and Paula Cwikly learned this when they brought Billie back to DAYS and when James Reilly/Hogan Sheffer brought back Steve and Kayla.

• Administrator

He is the still best HW out of the 8. Hopefully he can see his mistakes and go back to the pre-strike storytelling.

Two months of "okay" stuff doesn't take away what he did from Sept 07 to mid Feb 08 and then May/June 08.

I haven't lost faith just yet.

• Members

I haven't completely lost faith yet, but there are days now that I fast forward thru most everything: John McBain and Blari; Marcie and Michael; Antonio and Talia; Antonio and anyone; Cristian and anyone; Clint and Nora. The only parts I look forward to are Tina, Tess, Rex, Todd and Marty, Roxy, Charlie, and Dorian. Clint's scheme to find Langston's long-lost uncle and bring him to Llanview sounds absolutely boring; keeping Natalie in a glass room thru sweeps (I'm guessing here, this is not a spoiler) sounds painful, and Rex's upcomng scenes with Colin McIver sound dumb.

The spring stories that worked that they should have stuck with: the BE Takeover was pretty cool; I'd like to see the Buchanans fight to get the company back from Dorian. I would like to see Dorian realize she's in over her head and needs help--maybe from Jared, Lindsey, or RJ? would love to see Addie pitch in as a receptionist.

I liked Ramsey and was sorry they killed him off; Todd was terrified of him, which was a great reason to keep Ramsey on board.

The Marty storyline is playing out nicely now, tho it got off to an awfully slow start. I can't wait for Marty to regain her memories

Thank god Tina's out of Mendora, but that little dog she's running around with has served its purpose. Leave it in the background or have it run away. (I'm sure tess could figure out a few interesting ways to ditch that dog) Not sure where Tess and Tina are heading, but I'll be glad to see Tina really reunite with Viki and mix it up with Bo and Todd and Dorian and Blair again.

I still hope Mitch Laurence turns out to be Rex's dad and he turns up alive (I know, I know.... for the third time...) and wreaks havoc with Viki, Roxy, Dorian, mabye Cassie?, and Jessica and Natalie... Mitch would probably approve of Tess

Carlo brainwashing Cristian again? That I could do without

Viki, come home!

• Members

I disagree. One must also judge a product by context. We can act like soaps are not under enormous corporate control, but that would be...ostrich like.

Week after week, Toups reminds us that OLTL is tops in a very young demographic (the former Passions demographic). I scarcely think that is an accident. Many of us feel this is a silly audience to pursue (because they will be fickle, not like the old days). Nonetheless, this is clearly a direct consequence of the camp.

I am not saying that the "camp" is not part of Carlivati's creative vision....but I also don't doubt that the "homage to the 80s" and the "make it high camp" mandates also came from above.

But let's look at it from a whole different perspective. Let's say the camp IS Carlivati's creative vision...AT LEAST HE HAS ONE!!!

If I have eight rosebushes, standing in a rown, I am going to lavish particular attention to the one with the greatest signs of strength and the nicest blooms. It may not be perfect...but I've got to nurture the good in what I have.

Archived