AMC: Annie & Adam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can we please stop being so near sighted? Why must we couple every female and male character up? Can't we have Annie and Adam be partners in crime ONLY? The minute you romantically couple two characters, they go the predictable route of not being who we enjoy them to be, but rather being couples in peril, couples in angst, couples in tragedy.

Adam and Annie work because they're both two people with a similar agenda. That's ALL.

There is more than "romantic" chemistry between two actors that can and should be explored without the automatic: "HEY! LET'S TOTALLY RUIN THEM BY HAVING THEM FALL IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER!"

That's what destroyed Adam and Liza. They were two characters who both operated from the same agenda... the minute they became a legitimate couple, Liza was watered down, turned into a Martin-wannabe, and tried her best to castrate Adam at every turn. It ruined what made them work. It ruined their chemistry.

To paraphrase Regine Hunter from the 1993-1997 sitcom Living Single, you can't sleep with your best friend and think things will be the same, "It's like the birth canal -- once you go through, you can never go back."

• Members

So, since we're on the subject of Adam's wives...

Who was your favorite?

They were (if I recall correctly):

-Althea (off-screen)

-Erica (x2)

-Brooke

-Dixie

-Natalie

-Gloria

-Liza (x3)

-Arlene

-Krystal

I think Brooke would have to be my favorite.

But the marriage to Arlene was hilarious. Loved her drunk ass falling into the wedding cake. :lol: We need that lush back. Love her.

• Members

Brooke by far. I also loved him with Arlene bc that was hilarious and it kept her on the show long term (well longer than the few short weeks she was doing before). After them would probably be Erica.

My least favorite were definetly Gloria, Liza and Krystal takes the cake for being the absolute worst

• Members

Erica and Brooke are Adam's only true matches in terms of marriage.

I enjoyed Liza and Adam in the initial stages as well but love was lost once they truly became a married couple. Liza and Adam were definitely equals early on.

• Members

I agree about Liza and Adam's chemistry being ruined when it turned to "love". So if they stay on the agenda track, can Adam and Annie still be a power marriage until Annie makes a Chandler heir and then tries to kill Adam or ship him off to the Sanitarium to cash in on the Chandler estate?

Loved the suggestion of Skye coming to battle Annie as well.

As for Adam's wives.....

Brooke was a good match for him, IMO, because she was his moral polar opposite. She balanced him.

Erica was no pushover and gave as good as she got.

Liza was his business equal and outmaneuvered him with the best.

Personally the Arlene character was a favorite of mine, so I loved seeing her scheme before and while married to him. Remember when she actually got pregnant with him, but lost the baby, so she schemed with Vanessa Bennett and framed Liza for her miscarriage? I love Arlene, she is such a trashy, boozy, wounded woman, and really the ONLY reason I'd want Hayley back on the canvas... to reintroduce Arlene.

Gloria I really didn't like. Didn't she start out as Stuart's love interest and cheat on him with Adam? And then Alec tried to steal Gloria from Adam? I liked Alec McIntyre being positioned as an Adam rival for years. Trying to steal Gloria, sleeping with Arlene, marrying his daughter Hayley. I'd take ALEC back on AMC in a heartbeat! And they could REALLY be sticking it to Guiding Light by nabbing the MUCH demanded Grant Aleksander and having him on canvas with the stolen Ehlers, Goldin, and Irizarry! Imagine that?!

Dixie was "meh" for Adam. Better for Tad.

Krystal, by no means, is this love of Adam's life that TPTB keep portraying her as, but it seems the only way to keep the Krystal character viable, to have her torn between Adam and Tad, because the Adam/Tad rivalry is the true nerve center of that story.

And I don't remember Natalie and Adam, but I would have loved to have seen it because Kate Collins is another fave of mine. I was actually hoping when Adam was using Janet Green a couple of years back, that they were going to end up married so I could see Adam with that nutty Janet for a wife..... Adam just needs to keep getting married.

• Members

I believe that's how Hayley was revealed as Adam's daughter, while Natalie was married to Adam. Also I remember Natalie redecorated the Chandler Mansion to that gawd awful pink mess. And then Natalie and Hayley flew to the Dominican Republic to get a quickie divorce, and then while down there Hayley was kidnapped by those two buffoons because she was assumed to be an heiress.

• Members

I actually really liked the Adam/Gloria/Stuart triangle. That was the first time that I really appreciated David Canary's acting. I think for me, the character of Adam has always been sort of blah. Yeah, he's a shrew businessman and manipulative father, but so what. I never really found him interesting until this particular storyline.

Also, I think that Teresa Blake grew so much as an actress during this time. I actually thought she deserved an Emmy nomination

Archived