Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have seem some random episodes where Draper and April discuss moving to Oakdale. What was that all about?
I am obsessed with late 70's-1980 episodes. Such a "grown up", modern soap. Friends, co-workers, couples, crime, mystery and of course Raven living her life unapologetically like a man.

• Members

Somerset was also mentioned on The Edge of Night.

Before the Another World spin-off series began airing, Laurie Ann Karr was being kept there (in Somerset) while the syndicate may have been a danger to the Karr family.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Is there anyway to find out if TEON was screened in other countries, aside from Canada, in the 60s and 70s?

If it was shown in other countries, would there not potentially be video copies of these episodes in vaults in some broadcasting archives in another country? I would have thought if the show had been sold internationally the episodes would have had to be copied onto videotape and sent to the overseas broadcaster to screen.

I realise I am probably grasping at straws but it frustrates me that so much of this show has been lost.

• Members

I have never seen any evidence that Edge of Night aired in overseas territories.

Certainly not in Australia where other P&G shows (AW,SFT, ATWT) aired in the 70's.

Did EON air in Hawaii? How did that work in the 60's/70's? before satellite transmission?

• Members

Thank you for that. Looks like the pre-1979 episodes were only shown in Canada. So if any tapes exist of pre-1979 episodes would have to be sitting in a vault somewhere in a broadcast archive in Canada? Or were the episodes transmitted by satellite to Canada?

Thanks, If the episodes were screened in the late 80s they would most likely be the episodes from 1979 onwards. EON was also screened in South Africa in the late 90s/early 00s when the satellite channel DSTv had a devoted Soap channel. That's how I managed to see some of the 1981 Sky/Raven episodes.

• Members

Isn't remarkable given this discourse about EON playing in other countries that the actors, writers, and musicians made nothing from those replays?  I mean, think about it, if EON was a primetime show, like Dallas, the writers would get foreign residuals, but WGA did not require foreign residuals for daytime soap writers until decades after EON was cancelled.

Edited by j swift

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Larry Hagman acknowledging his soap roots in a 1965 article promoting 'I Dream of Jeannie'

...Though practically all of Hagman's astronaut exploits will be on stock footage, he went through some of the testing real astronauts go through. "I'm 33 and I thought I was going downhill," he said with a note of awe in his voice. "But some of them are over 40. I can't do half the things they can, but on my side of the ledger, I bring 17 years of experience as an actor to the series. And the best experience I ever had was putting in a couple of years on a daytime soap opera Edge of Night.

We did 30 pages a day, so when we're asked to do 10 pages a day in Hollywood and I learn it, they're all terribly impressed."