Jane Espenson visits the set of an unknown daytime drama!

• Members

I didn't appreciate Season Six until the second and third viewings on DVD. When it was airing, I had a lot of problems with it, but watching it back to back, it made a lot more sense.

Season Seven starts off great, and "Conversations With Dead People" is still a BRILLIANT episode. Sadly, it all goes downhill from there.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The big complaint was it was too dark (I loved the darkness)--and many blamed Marti Noxon as she had a larger role as showrunner while Joss was busy with other projects--the fact that Season 7 was all over the map and it was parlty due to Marti's extended, longer than planned maternity leave, says something though.

And yumm, naked spike :D

• Members

I love the darkness (and naked Spike), but my big problem with Season Seven was the middle section where EVERY EPISODE ended the same way - Buffy giving a rousing speech to the Slayerettes about how difficult "the war" was going to be. I kept wondering: When the hell are we getting to the actual war?! Once we got to Nathan Fillion and Faith in the final five episodes, I thought the show was back on track. And I did enjoy the finale (except Anya's "blink-and-you-miss-it" death)

• Members

Ah, Jane. I think she was on the GH set, too.

And I do think that she'd be wasted on a soap because, as she said, a writer's voice would have to be contained and the writer would have to write in the vein of the character and his/her history. Not saying that Jane can't do this. But I'd rather see her let loose than be sorta in a choke-hold of history. Soaps need writers who've had or who know like the back of their hand the history with the show. New bloods should stick to primetime, IMO.

As for Buffy's seasons, I personally like Season 5 the best because each episode was written so carefully and deliberately to culminate towards Buffy's death. Each of the seasons preceding and following it were pretty much written episode by episode with the writers sorta feeling out each episode until the finale. But season 5, with Joss et. al. thinking the WB was going to cancel it, wrote each and every detail to foreshadow and fit into her sacrifice and death. Dawn's introduction, Buffy's mom's death, Riley abandoning her, Buffy facing a blonde, intelligent goddess as an archenemy (herself, in a sense), who shapeshifts into a cute doctor (a variation of the men she's had relationships with up until that season), and Buffy being the ultimate tragic hero. She even references how she sacrificed her love for Angel in season 2 and surpasses that by sacrificing herself. There are so many endings that lead to the perfect death.

What really gets me about this season are the really little things, specifically the brief moment in the middle of the season "Blood Ties," when Buffy and Dawn become blood sisters, which is the only reason why Buffy was able to sacrifice herself in the finale. Simply genius.

I really wish Buffy ended with that season. Season 6 (despite the legendary status of "Once More with Feeling," was subpar simply because the pacing was all wrong. There should've been more focus on Willow becoming evil but it was done way too late and there's not enough suspense in the end for it to be as tragic as Angel's descent in season 2 and even Faith's descent in season 3. Season 7 was a mess because the producers, I've read, were put in a bind because the networks wanted the writers to undo the overarching storylines and go with the single episode, one-two punch ish. So, again, by the time Nathan comes on 5 episodes near the end, he's not as effective. I think the First was a great idea conceptually but it seemed that because there were so many new writers at that time (another drawback of Season 7), that they couldn't mold it as a baddie in the luxuriously complicated way Buffy's veteran writers did.

My favorite episode, still, is "Becoming (Part 2)." Timeless.

• Members

off topic convo of this thread- I *loved* the wb! popular, roswell, buffy 1-3, angel, smallville, gilmore girls, reba, what i like about you, 7th heaven, everwood, one tree hill, dawsons creek, and sooo much more. and i loved the promo's, esp in the late 90's/early 00's on the backlot where they would mix everyone up from diff shows together. 'Oh What A Night' ... loved it.

Buffy was only good seasons 2-3. Season 1 was saved by Sarah & Chrisma bringing it. But after season 3, the show went to hell. And got worse and worse as time went on. It did get good again for a quick minute when Willow lost Tara and Anya was at her best - but it didnt last long. And really, how many tiems did buffy die? because after the first time i didnt care anymore and by midway into season 3 i wanted her dead. Angel was a much better show, but that season peaked at 3. and season 5 of angel is up there in the all time worst tv show seasons.

• Members

To add my thoughts on Buffy's seasons---I loved each of them in their own way. The first one was different than the others, but I still loved it. The second one was amazing, with a thrilling finale and overall great villains. The third season sums up the high school stuff and brings yet another batch of amazing episodes. It all started to change in Season 4, but even then I was happy with the show. It's college, so things have to start changing. Season 5 was also quite amazing. Season 6 was hated by many, but for me it was okay. I can't judge anyone, especially Buffy, and I have no idea how I'd react if I had been dragged down back to Earth after being on Heaven. It's got to hurt. So no wonder how many things happened then. And by the time Willow became evil, the season was yet another great one. Season 7 was a bit of a change, but yet again it was great. Sure, things were done in a different way, but overall I was satisfied. Buffy just can't disappoint me. Just no way.

• Members

Well, I was gonna add my 2 cents worth, which would've dispelled the whole, "It's B&B" thing, but now you're saying they tape 4 days a week, so this'll probably cement that idea. I know for a (99.9%) fact that B&B tape 2 eps a day. So this would mean that they tape an hour worth of material 3 days, and two hours worth on the fourth day. Of course, they may just carry it over and stick to the 2 eps a day rota, but assuming that they still have the same length of holiday time, then I'm inclined to believe that they double up on the fourth day. Does this make sense? If so, it still could be B&B.

I remember The OC! Can't say I was really engrossed with it. I watched the first season, then stopped, then tuned in for Alex, then returned for the final 4 eps. I used to love Sandy and Kirsten, Julie, Ryan... and that damn theme tune, by Phantom Planet.

And Sylph, I can't believe that Ben Mackenzie was divo-ish - He just never seemed the type, unlike the rest of them.

• Members

Aww, really JP? I *LOVE* Angel: Season Five! I still watch it and find something new every time I see it. The overall themes of "selling out" in your late twenties with your job, your friends, your lifestyle, etc.... I thought the metaphor was genius.

Ah well. To each his own. :)

• Members

OLTL tries to get ahead enough to be able to shoot 4 days a week in the summer, and usually accomplishes it, but it's not a rule. AMC might take off a couple of Fridays during the summer, but for the most part, they do 5 days. At least for the NYC ABC shows, it all depends on how far you are ahead in taping.

Because of the lack of studio space at OLTL, their set changes occur overnight

• Members

I have all Joss's shows on DVD and will watch Angel and Buffy over and over again. Unfortunately, I didn't love Firefly as much the second time seeing it and am glad it was cancelled because it paved the way to the totally awesome Serenity!!!

• Members
It was 1.03 - "The Gamble".

I like Jane, she did save Battlestar a little bit with this first half of season four. I used to loooove BG and I do hope she will get the ending right.

It's nice to see someone from primetime praising daytime. It's not a every day thing really.

Archived