DAYS: Ed Scott FIRED! Gary Tomlin HIRED!

• Members

I don't think it contains any gaffes. I've seen much plainer, shorter press releases about changes in personnel! With P&G soaps, and their long history of Friday firings when someone else was already in the wings, you could easily tell who they really were going to miss & actually were leaving the door open for and the terse so-and-so is gone, thanks, the end. :P I just think we're very focused on it.

I don't like the underwear or its contents that well, so I'll pass, thanks though. B)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Patrick Erwin and Snark have GREAT entries on the convoluted mess of this whole thing.

Patrick says, in part:

Snark then comments on Patrick :). He says, in part:

Great insights. And they lead me to a question.

Josh Griffith IS Fi-Core. Gary Tomlin IS Fi-Core. Would they REALLY be in trouble if they monkeyed with the scripts? Aren't they ALLOWED to write? Or does the job description trump even the union membership? This is a serious information request on my part.

• Members

No, they wouldn't be allowed to write unless they were hired as writers. Then, yes, they'd be able to write. That they went Fi-Core from the WGA during the WGA writers' strike has no bearing on their being able to do their jobs as producers. Producers do not write.

And, as to the other comments, what's different about what went on during the strike versus not during the strike is pretty apparent, at least to me.

To some it may inform the issue if they think that Dena is hypocritical because she scabbed & then went Fi-Core when forced to, but it has nothing to do with Gary Tomlin working as a producer at a new job & show.

To me the biggest thing about all of this is that, whereas we knew some things about who was scabbing & moreso who had scabbed during the long acrimonious strike at the end of the 80s, we didn't know-know if you take my meaning.

Earlier you were saying that producers altering something in the writing has gone on all over forever.

I don't think it's true that producers have rewritten the Writing Team's scripts as a matter of course. In extreme cases, sure there have been producers with other writers rewriting scripts that haven't been shot yet, until the wee hours, because the HW in charge of them, forcing people to write crap, has just been fired. Then, yes, that's a bit odd since people know that so-and-so has left the building & that many scripts are already in the pipeline, and that those episodes will appear with the regular credits unchanged. I suppose in a case like that a writer could insist that those episodes not appear with their name on them. But, that happens, it really does, but it is a case in extremis. If a new HW has already been hired, then they are in there, with the team re-write effort. If not, there is no one but the EP and the team of writers.

There are other examples, for just one example, let's say an EP had always thought they could write & is between HWs and simply cannot approve any of the people they're given as new HW candidates, and tries to climb into the Writer's Room for as long as they can keep that vacancy going. That's not an emergency; that's manipulation of the system.

But, this, for people to be hired & fired & moving from one show to another without regard to what happened at their last job, yes, that's gone on forever. I mean, sure, they have a legacy at their last job that won't be erased but it's not a reason that would prevent them from being hired elsewhere.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 19 2008, 08:48 PM)
No, they wouldn't be allowed to write unless they were hired as writers. Then, yes, they'd be able to write. That they went Fi-Core from the WGA during the WGA writers' strike has no bearing on their being able to do their jobs as producers. Producers do not write.

<stuff deleted for space>

Thank you for this thoughtful answer.

• Members

I've enjoyed DOOL lately, but I'm very very disappointed that it has become home of the scabs. I guess as producer, at least Tomlin isn't technically being rewarded for his scab work, but he's still a scab and so is Higley.

I also liked Ed Scott's work, and believe Higley needs a firm hand at EP. However, really, Corday should have put a stop to Scott's practices before the WGA had to step in. the fact that OLTL rewards scabs and had to be forced to stop Ed Scott (hell save him from himself), says a lot about the management of that show IMO.

• Members

I'm really interested in seeing if Tomlin will pull some innovative things with DAYS. He tried live week, and a host of special themed episodes on OLTL. I wonder if that approach would work on DAYS.

In many ways he's a better fit for DAYS than Scott ever was. Scott is a very traditional producer, and DAYS has been a quirky show for years, it's had traditional elements, but its quirky/out there nature was always apparent. I don't think that's Scott's forte, and it's definitely Tomlin's.

• Members

Compared to some of the Days actors? The OLTL cast was damn near perfection! LOL!

I feel like Days is SLIGHTLY on an upswing, mainly because Marnie Saitta is the female Mark Teschner (in my mind) but nobody knows it.

The weird thing about Days is that the majority of the cast WERE good actors once - but years of garbage made them all slackers. Dee Hall? Was AMAZING as Marlena in the 70's. I'd love to have that actress back playing the role, instead of the one we have now.

Same with Reckell and Alfonso... dont' get me wrong. I'm not saying they're Michael Zaslow or anything. But they NEVER phoned it in like this back then.

And I love Drake for his charisma and his familiarity... but let's face it. The guy's a baseball player. End of story. :D

• Members

Not to debate semantics,. but "core cast" and "talented cast" are two different things.

Y&R WorldTurner was referring just to talent. When you look at GL and GH, they both have extremely TALENTED actors in their cast... who are being wasted.

Other than a small handful of actors, Days and B&B both have pretty weak casts at the moment in the talent department.

I don't want to speak for Y&R World Turner, but I think that's what he meant.

• Members

Exactly what I meant.

And I think from my opinion and probably from a technical standpoint, the actors that both GH and GL showcase are miles ahead in the talent department than those showcased on DAYS or B&B usually. However, it's also true that GH and GL have been much more successful in the casting department than both DAYS and B&B over the past few years.

DAYS' casting has obviously gotten better recently, but they tend to stick their recent additions in poorly developed roles.

Archived