Does Brian Frons Love Daytime

• Members

I'm going to sit and wait for R Sinclair to rip this post apart. Because... to prove that Amanda L. Beall-zebub sucks giga-time you just need to hear the dialogue GH has and to read all the never-ending praise it receives constantly and deservedly on this board and many others from "teens" and others.

Every single one of those scriptwriters, including Tracey who went on to write for AMC, is just - excellent. Even Karren Harris and Elizabeth Korte, both of whom Sinclair can't stand, I believe... Korte for her "mob-love and Elizabeth-hate", if I remember correctly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Part of the problem is the lack of strong women.

Who wants to watch Erica prance around in cocktail dresses all the time?

Who wants to watch Brooke sleep with anything with two legs?

Who wants to watch Nikki beg to be humiliated for affection?

Who wants to watch Laura drool on her hospital gown in an asylum?

• Members

Frons even said "The audience has to be trained". He clearly doesn't think much of his audience if he feels that way.

He's also said stupid stuff like people don't want to see a fat middle aged woman on soaps. He was talking about Laura Spencer on GH......

IMO he's what's wrong with daytime

• Members

Daytime MUST evolve, or it's going to die.

I prefer the older stuff; I am in geek heaven over the reruns showing on AOL and HULU (never thought I'd see some of that stuff ever again, and if they ever get around to showing classic stuff from GL and Y&R, my head may seriously explode from joy...)

That said, daytime as it stands right now is really painful (with a VERY few exceptions, and that rarely lasts for any longer than a few weeks to a few months.)

People LOVE serialized storytelling, we have seen primetime totally embrace the concept, and the coveted young adult demo sucks up serialized novels and whatnot like a sponge. So it SHOULD be a no-brainer that soaps engage people.

But they don't because they are trapped in writing and production that appears very, very, very dated and unappealing. Even to those of us who love the genre, there's often times where we can see that soaps have actually morphed into a self-parody.

I used to proudly tell folks how daytime was given a bad wrap and how Agnes Nixon taught thousands of women about pap smears and breast cancer etc, etc, but that stuff simply doesn't happen anymore. We've got networks that greenlight shows like Passions and storylines about time travel and clones and the constant cycle of evil twins and back-from-the-dead. All those things that soaps tried to rise above in the 80s and 90s have now become standard fare.

Daytime is so far away from the cultural zeitgeist that a rebirth would be impossible at this point. Soaps, as we know them, need to die with whatever dignity they can at this point, go away for a few years and come back full force with creative voices and fresh ideas.

• Members

I love hearing the actors on GH especially talking about their show and how romance drives soaps. Putting OLTL aside, no soaps are more devoid of actual romance than GH and AMC. They are the most romantically challenged soaps out of all of them. And when I watched the GH promo with Vincent Pastore in it, no romance just guns and mob. Tells me that's how ABC is packaging their shows and maybe the younger viewers don't care as much about romance, family drama, and love as they do about action, violence, sex, and one night stands. Maybe Frons is onto something here.

• Members

"Marcy came onto the show last fall and is played by Kathy Brier, a marvelous actress, who is now going into Hairspray on Broadway. She has an incredible voice and is not beautiful, is overweight." -- Brian Frons

<_<

• Members

IMO Brian loves Daytime but everything has to go HIS way!

Look on AMC he has hired HACK writers. Megan McTavish back in 2003 and then B&E in 2007. These writers are horrible. Also he loves the Rylee paring. Most AMC do NOT want that.

On OLTL its a bit tricky. It seems like he is letting Ron write and do his job. But hes made many unneeded comments to certian actors/actresses....

Hes killing GH by keeping JFP and Guza. With then GH will NEVER be the same.

Archived