July 7-11, 2008

Toups

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my business, when economic times get hard, managers stick around longer (even if they are dolts).

Why? Because recruiting, incentivizing and hiring a new person takes MONEY. Lots of it. It is often cheaper in the short term to stick with the devil you know.

I thing the P&G stability is not what it should be (i.e., a principled choice for stable leadership, to help provide confidence and equilibrium in the foundation), but is corporate cheapness because they can't afford what it would take to hire someone new.

Which makes me think CJ and JP have contracts for life, more or less; EW and DK and Lucky Gold too.

• Members

Interestingly, the shares (as opposed to the ratings) are the same as they were last week (except for OLTL, which increased from a 6 to a 7 share). What this means is that more people were watching daytime programming overall last week, but each soap still attained only the same percentage of that available audience as they had the week before (except OLTL).

Not a good sign for daytime.

• Members

It's really odd to me that ABC hasn't released a press release yet. They didn't last week, but I assumed that was because of the July 4th holiday being part of the ratings for that particular week.....but if they don't release one by tomorrow, I'm going to start to wonder.

For years, all three networks released daytime ratings press releases: CBS would emphasize households, since that's where they did best; NBC would focus on women 18-34, since that was their successful demo; and ABC always did women 18-49. But CBS completely stopped their daytime ratings releases back in 2003, and hasn't done one since. NBC stopped a year later. ABC has continued until now, but if I don't see a release by tomorrow, I'm going to assume maybe they've given it up, as well.

If so, that will be the only daypart on the networks (including morning, evening news, primetime, and late night) that not one networks trumpets any kind of success to advertisers.

That would definitely be a very bad sign.

Archived