EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Actually a lot does exist. The book I refer to goes back to 1955 and has all top ten shows for every month. The data is there, you just have to locate the source.

Get a copy of it if you are interested in such things as it is packed with info. Written by Jane Harbord and Jeff Wright.

The books says that from 1955 to 1961, only top ten lists exist. After that, top twenty is available.

Sources for the book:

Television Audience Measurement (TAM) 1955-1968

Audits of Great Britain (AGB) 1968-1981

AGB for British Audience Research Board (BARB) 1981-???

Hope this helps.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks!

So, I guess BARB started tracking ratings in the UK from 1981 onwards, that's nice to know. I've long considered paying for an online account with them (for research/pop cultural nostalgia).

Besides Corrie, did other continuing dramas/soaps rank high throughout the 60's and 70's, or was EastEnders really the first threat to Corrie's dominance?

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

In 1981 Crossroads came in at #18, but other than that EE was the first continuing drama to crack the top 20 since CS. CS was not always high up there. Sometimes it was as high as #2, other times #19. Depends on the year. In 1979 it did not even crack the top 20.

Through 1978, ITV had around 85% of the top 20 shows. In 1979, BBC had about 90%. After that it was more or less 50/50.

Would be cheaper just to buy the book if all you are interested in is earlier years.

• Members

More pictures/details on Sharon's return story, as well as a pic of the little boy playing Dennis, Jr.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2156204/SPOILER-ALERT-Letitia-Dean-returns-EastEnders-Sharon-Watts-calls-old-flame-Phil-Mitchell-help.html

I wonder if Sharon's been living in England for a while again and no one knew, but it would be strange that Ian never mentioned it, since they've apparently been in contact.

• Members

She still looks great. I was annoyed that they said she was voted out first on Strictly Come Dancing. She was there until the final four.

I wish Phil wasn't involved.

What do you think of Kat's story? It just seems to be the same bilge again and again.

• Members

I don't understand the point of Kat's story, especially if her mystery man is a Branning. Like Kat or one of the Branning needs another affair storyline. If this story were to work, I would hope they would use it as a mechanism to split Kat and Alfie up for good, or even just for an extended period.

I'm not too annoyed with Phil being involved, as he's the character Sharon shares the most history with on the show at the moment. He was always going to be involved in her return one way or another. I do think Sharon was one of the few people Phil ever genuinely loved and cared about.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

The sad part is Jessie said a few days ago that the old Kat would be back, and I felt happy, and then I thought to myself, "Wait for it." And sure enough, we get this crap.

I read some comments about how it's Sharon's fault that they killed off Kathy, and so on. I guess Sharon will be the new fan hate figure. I hope that it all goes well because I think Sharon is such a vital part of Eastenders. She may be their last chance.