EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Pat's last episode had some really great, character-defining moments. I especially loved everything with her and Janine, and with her and David.

Watching Pat slip away is so raw, realistic, and heartbreaking. Those scenes with Bianca in the kitchen where Pat was trying to make tea, or when she was trying to put on her lipstick were so devastating to watch. It's almost like watching a real family member trying to put on a brave face, when you know realistically, they'll never be able to make it work.

Everyone that needed to say their final goodbyes to her were there (with the exception of I guess Simon).

The Janine/Pat scenes were classic. Loved it. Everything that needed to be said was said. I loved how Janine rushed to Pat's room to see for herself when she realized that it wasn't an act, but Pat was really on her final stages of life. I loved how Pat told Janine that she reminded her of herself when shew was younger. That overhead shot of Janine laying on Pat as Pat was stroking her hair was beautiful. Such a nice resolution to what was one of the show's most complex relationships.

It's good that Pat and David found a resolution to their relationship as well. Through David, they were able to tap into more of Pat's history and backstory, especially given her wilder days and what a terrible mother she was.

I also loved the scenes between David and Carol in the rain when David wanted to leave again. They were nicely acted. It's fitting that David returned in the rain, as that's the way he left with Joe chasing after him.

Some nice little moments, like Ian still obviously uncomfortable around David and not able to look him in the eyes, or Whitney having to introduce herself to David, implying that she was very much still and outsider to that family dynamic were good to see. It also also nice to see them tie this into Tanya's cancer battle.

While I could have done without Derek hamming it up, Tiffany's annoying ass stage school cutesy routine, Whitney's whorish behaviour, and some stuff dragging, it didn't prevent me from enjoying the episode. It's a fitting end for a legend on the show.

I loved that they had the episode fade to black and had Pat's theme playing over the credits. I think this may the only time they ever faded to black without a duff duff, Julia's theme, or some standard song playing at that moment.

Pam gave it her all. This show won't be the same without her and Pat.

Goodbye Pat! sad.png

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I know I haven't posted in this thread before, but I thought now would be a fitting time to start. I have sporadically watched EastEnders throughout the years. It's not that I haven't wanted to be a regular viewer, but rather that I haven't found a reliable source to watch the show. One of the local stations here airs EastEnders but they're about 5 or so years behind. So while I enjoy watching that, it doesn't really allow me to discuss it with you all.

I was able to catch some of Pat's final days on the show, and I was really moved. The last scene with David really tugged at my heartstrings. I was very moved/haunted that her final words were "I don't want to die. I'm scared".

Overall, it was a well-handled death. It was done with a care and quality we would never see on US soaps anymore.

• Members

Pat's Revealed episode, which was good overall, but a bit too much focus on Frank and Peggy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2FGdcNtn7T8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TMQ0QXQK_PU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

That's one of the reasons I haven't watched the Revealed yet. I just don't care that much about Pat/Peggy, I always thought Pat was an afterthought in that friendship (and I don't believe Peggy would care about going to the funeral). Frank/Pat were legendary but I've already seen enough about them - that funeral episode for Frank was enough of a big self-reverential end. I've even heard people say Pat's last scene should have been a flashback of the bow tie - why?

Morgan's father and the new Lucy. I think a lot of people will hate the new Lucy, especially if she doesn't go around all the time raising an eyebrow and woodenly shouting her lines, like Melissa Suffield. I do think the photos are a bit strange - not sure why they made her so young.

http://www.digitalsp...e-pictures.html

http://www.digitalsp...n-pictures.html

I'm not sure what it says that as soon as I saw Morgan's father, my first thought was wondering who of Bianca, Carol, and Whitney will sleep with him first.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Nice thread, Carl.

It seems that people think the Brannings have taken over from the Mitchells as the main EE family. I tend to agree but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. It is true though that the family is built on sensationalism and it's almost as if they've unrealistically explored so many avenues already. To me the Brannings are one of the few good things Kirkwood has done in his era. Bringing in Cora and Rainie on a permanent basis has enriched story potential and it was badly needed. I also think Lauren's characterisation has been realistic. As a result of everything in her family life she's turned to drink. So I guess at least they've used those crappy, sensational stories for a purpose now. Abi is the weak link for me. It annoys me because even now I read on DS posters saying that it was unnecessary to re-cast Lauren but I totally disagree. Jacqueline Jossa has been a God send for the Branning family and Lauren actually feels like a character now whereas she didn't before. People have said that the first actress would have adequately played out the scenes supporting Lauren at the hospital through her cancer storyline, is that some sort of joke? Hopefully now they'll develop the Brannings in a more realistic way after how they've been storylined recently.

I still don't think Lucy needed to be re-cast though. Melissa Suffield wasn't an amazing actress but she was good enough and I think they should have allowed her time to develop as an actress simply because of her likeness to Cindy and believability in the role. That history meant it was worthwhile perhaps making Melissa to take an extended break from work and then re-instate her on the basis that she had to stop going out on the town underage. What is so wrong about that? Putting the BBC's reputation into disrepute? wink.png

• Members

The problem with Melissa was she probably was never going to develop in the role, because they always seemed to encourage her worst as an actress. I never cared that much about a resemblance to Cindy either, because it was nothing more than surface. Cindy wasn't going around smirking and sneering and woodenly barking her lines and being some big super villainess when she was a teenager.

• Members

Yes, BBC America ran classic episodes for a while. I taped some of them. I think they were in 1987 when they stopped. I loved those - it was the only chance I'd had at that time to see some of the show's best, like Sue Osman, Angie, Colin. When BBC America dropped that, around late 2000 or early 2001, I lost interest, as the main show itself was so full of Phil and Mel that I was sick of it.