EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Loved Monday and Tuesday's episodes... everything with Janine and Carol was so incredibly well done. When everyone was confronting Janine for not telling them about Whitney, you had the sense that these were real people fighting--Janine was trying to stay calm, relieve the tension... it wasn't just characters yelling insults at each other. And loved how they did that whole thing with Carol praying and showing Lauren and Janine searching.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't really care about Whitney, but I thought this was very good. This is an example of what websoaps should be. In ten minutes you had a story packed in with solid acting and writing and you want to see what will happen next.

I hope we get to see more of that other girl who was at the party. I cared about her instantly. She reminds me of Nicola Stapleton (Mandy on EE years and years ago - most recently on Hollyoaks Later) and Tina O'Brien, Sarah on Corrie, before they made Sarah into a stupid bimbo and Tina O'Brien gave up any attempt at acting.

• Members

I hope they keep that girl as well, Carl. I've never disliked Whitney, having only been watching since June 2010, but until now I was just indifferent. As soon as she moved into Janine's, I began to pay more attention. This story is just solid so far. The special really made me feel like I was there, dirty and trapped. I think I'm taking a shower before bed tonight.

• Members

Here's my response to this week on EastEnders, which I posted on another board, so excuse the laziness! ;)

I adored Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday's episodes. Very good stuff involving the Lauren/Janine/Whitney, with the Brannings thrown in.

The Brannings are pure gold these days, I love the dysfunction between them.

I don't find Jay and Abi that bad, actually I find it kind of cute. Which by the way, can't be said about the stuff with Tiffany, the cutesy kid stuff is just about getting on my nerves now. That kid is given too much airtime for my taste.

Janine is awesome, especially in Thursday's episode. I love the fact that she didn't back down from Rob!

I agree, there's potential there, and I think the show needs to add onto it's female cast.

The actor that plays Rob is incredibly convincing playing this menacing character, I'm glad the show casted him in the role. Every scene he was in, I was in utter puzzlement as to what dastardly deed he'd do next.

• Members

I'm watching parts of Bianca's '99 exit again. Bianca was so determined to not end up like Carol, but that's exactly what happened with the million children by different fathers and the poverty.

Hard to believe Bianca and Carol left on such a depressing note and stopped talking for almost a decade, and of course, the goodbye scene with Ricky as Julia's Theme plays always gets me.

<object width="480" height="270"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xah450?theme=none"></param><param'>http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xah450?theme=none"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xah450?theme=none" width="480" height="270" wmode="direct" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xah450_eastenders-bianca-s-exit-10-09-99_shortfilms" target="_blank">EastEnders - Bianca's Exit (10/09/99)</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Ryanlcfc2" target="_blank">Ryanlcfc2</a></i>

• Members

This is a fantastic set of scenes. It is very brave to have a happy, longtime couple break up through their own mistakes and realizations, and not someone dying at the last minute. You wouldn't have this today.

The scenes with Carol and Bianca are so raw and I like that they don't really make up. I was annoyed that when Carol returned, the show had them make up after only a few episodes, when this drama could have gone on for months, at the least.

Bianca is not Carol, but Santer ripped off Carol's story and gave it to Bianca. While my disappointment in Bianca's return (a lot of shouting and stupid class conflicts that made her seem like a brain dead chav, complete with extraneous, fake cutesy kids) went away eventually, and I can see that her return turned out better than, say, poor Kat, I still think Santer and DTC had no real idea of who Bianca was. She is a very thoughtful and quiet woman, and also, as damaged as she is, capable of moments of great strength. She doesn't have the self-loathing which Carol has always had. It took Carol coming back to show viewers just how special Bianca's character is.