Y&R: Significant Decline in Black Viewers?

• Members

I've always loved Y&R and I've loved it for many different reasons but Drucilla and Olivia were always home to me. It's so painful to tune into that show and not see them there. It's like a little piece of my heart is missing every time I watch. The selfish part of me wants Victoria Rowell to go back but the other part understands how upsetting it must be to give your very best and then be snubbed. She shouldn't have to go through that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really think it's a combination of thing, probably least of all race-related. Sure, the show has been duller than dirt, but it always had a loyal audience that stayed with it through thick and thin. And let's face it...Bell's Y&R was hardly ever the quickest-moving soap, but audience never went away, until now. People can talk about boring storylines, pointless characters, lack of black characters. Sure those factors might play a small role, but I think the single biggest issue is the "Price is Right" lead-in factor. Its numbers are down since Barker left. A steady show like Y&R, no matter how bad a state it's in, doesn't drop THAT precipitously unless there are external events at work.

• Members

Yeah, but it's a domino effect. A decline in Price is Right causes a decline in the local news, which causes a decline in Y&R, which causes a decline in B&B, etc. Sure, ATWT and particularly GL are tanking creatively, but I think their steep losses are more a result of the decline of the whole CBS daypart lineup. All the CBS soaps seem to be generally about .4/.5 down from where they were this time last year. I think just general audience erosion seen in every genre is also at play, but I think the TPIR factor is a biggie. Just my guess. Again, soaps don't normally drop that drastically, especially a show like Y&R with a traditionally intensely loyal audience, because of lackluster storylines or lack of black characters.

• Members

I will acknowledge that there was a sudden fall from about 4.0 to about 3.5 over the last couple of months. But, if you "zoom out", it is nothing particularly special. It is the same linear decline that has been going on for decades.

Since this recent decline really dates to MAB's head writing, and SPECIFICALLY to the ascendancy of Victor and Sabrina (which, by word of mouth is provoking a lot of DISGUST in long-term viewers), I think that is the culprit. It is over a year since Rowell left, and longer since Williams and Moore. Plus, when Rowell left in the past, the decline was not this precipitous. I think disgust is provoking the tune-out, and there are two key sources: (a) Victor-Sabrina, and (B) Gloria-Jeff. You have to REALLY turn off viewers to get them to tune out, and that (not boredom) is what is happening here.

Neither of these disgust-factors is specific to African American viewers. I would love to know the numbers, but I doubt this RECENT fall is disproportionately due to the persons of color in the audience.

• Members

Well as an African American I do remember back when I was really young how Y&R seemed to be the most diverse soap out there (when it came to AA's) just because it had a lot more black people than other soaps. I specifically remember how multiple scenes featured one person or another of color. Malcolm in 1 scene. Olivia in another. Neil in the 3rd. It was very interesting to me just because Daytime as a whole is NOT very diverse in terms of cast, etc.

However I won't say that the lack of those types of characters has turned me of the show. To put it short I'm just plain bored. Even Drucilla (who I've never been a huge fan of) with all her ranting and raving was more interesting than the snooze fest that is Neil and Karen or Devon. Even Lily really has nothing interesting going on. Its nothing against the actors but nothing seems to be happening and it sucks.

I'm also freaked out by Victor/Sabrina but thats the main reason I'm not watching as much as I used to.

I'd love to see Y&R bring back Olivia and Malcolm. Even Drucilla I'd welcome back. HOWEVER I think new blood should also be added to the canvas. The problem though is that people complain about newbies....

But in all seriousness the show can't revolve around the same core 4 black characters forever. Eventually they're gonna move on or die or something. Which is why they need to make more of an effort to get viewers/fans interested in new characters who may or may not be connected to the above mentioned characters...

• Members

Their scenes disgust me. You should see me falling all over myself to get to the remote when these two have a scene alone together.

Anyway, I'm excited about the addition of Devon's aunt (her name escapes me). I think she is going to spice things up in Neil's world.

• Members

My problem with most soaps dealing with their black characters is how they always put them in their own little storyline somewhere in a corner. where it doesn't effect the other characters that aren't black.

I know Y&R had black characters before Niel, Olivia, Malcolm, & Dru came. They probably just add on new black characters for the black characters they had already. then find away to write them off.

I don't know who came first. But I'm assuming Nathan was there already. He fall in love with Olivia. then I believe Niel came & had a crush on Olivia that's when they add Dru who had a crush on Neil. In which they add Malcolm who had a crush on Dru. Even when they add on other females for Nathan & Malcolm none of this effected the other characters but the black people who was involved in it.

AMC We got Angie & Jeese, Now we got Frankie & Randi. then Casandra & Dre. These people getting together isn't going to effect any other characters on this show. With Colby & Frankie this would give Adam something to do beside pining after Krystal. I believe people was saying Jake talk to Angie kind of bad. I'm hoping he sercetly likes her.

ATWT Bonnie suppose to bi racial but she can't get any love either. I thought they was going somewhere with her & Paul before they recast him. & once they recast him they act like they didn't even know each other. They recast her I'm still trying to figure tyhat one out because Holden end up fallingfor his cousin wife instead. See that's why I would have made Dallas & Casey gay like I said before this would have given the DA Tom & Police officer Margo a storyline plus start a scandal at the police station. now thatwhat you call a scandal.

OLTL the reason why I liked Evangeline is because they didn't stick her in just a black storyline. she had a black love then they moved her around to other things. they probably would have put her with RJ brother if he was around because soaps like to black people in their own little storylines.

My point is they might give their black characters storylines but it really don't effect the rest of the cast it becomes boring & maybe that's why some viewers like myself tune out.

• Members

As much as I want to blame Victor/Sabrina, the truth of the matter is there was basically no plot movement for like 2 months straight and that's why the ratings dropped all of a sudden.

• Members

On ABCD, yes.

On CBS, not so much.

How have The Hubbards NOT effected the rest of the canvas?

Jesse's the new police chief & already in the middle of stuff, Angie & Frankie have treated half of PV & Cassandra is BFF with Colby & Dre.

It's not like there's been an effort to segregate them from the rest of the cast.

She did before the writers recast the character to use her for a triangle that never happened.

No.

They just had her pursuing one bland white dude after another who she thought were better than her minority love interests.

Eh.

Forcing minority characters in interracial relationships to fit some absurd status quo isn't the solution.

• Members

I'm not just talking about interracial relationship. I'm talking about as a whole. Maybe I'll stop pulling for a interracial relationship if they do one right for a change.

Y&R I want Lily to finally date a black guy. See nothing interracial about it. I mean if she isn't going to come off like Dru can she be attracted to a black guy who act like Dru. The Winters in a shot of flavor in their diet.

Archived