When would TEON & SFT been cancelled

Max

• Members

That's interesting.

I agree that the show may have stayed on a long time. The ABC stories, at least in the clips I've seen, are still very strong. Very good acting and writing and production values. At least the Slesar years. The later stuff seems weaker, Lee Sheldon and more focus on new characters, but I guess the show was almost over then anyway right?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks saynotoursoap I've heard the stuff about Nicholson long ago probably on Wost or something.

I find it funny that P&G's no-competition rule which caused the 1972 line-up changes for CBS was ignored just a few years later and especially in the 80s and 90s when AW and ATWT were competing against each other.

• Members

wow thanks for sharing this information. I was always baffled by the fact that CBS ran syndicated or reruns at the 4pm time period instead of moving Edge to that time period. IMO, I don't think Edge would have been canceled at all and may still be on the air today if CBS was able to keep it at 4pm. I also think that if ABC moved all of it's soaps back starting at 11am (RH, LOV, AMC, OLTL, GH, Edge) and ended at 4pm, Edge would still be on ABC too.

By the way, any thoughts on SFT? I still think that if it didn't move to NBC, Capitol would have never aired and SFT would have ended in 1987.

• Members

IIRC I believe during the Corrington era on SFT the idea of expanding it to an hour was entertained briefly, probably before Bell finally gave into expanding Y&R into an hour. The Corringtons had managed to stabilize SFT after suffering ratings drops thanks to competition from Ryan's Hope as well as add more modern soap elements to the show. Unfortunately it was not to be.

Archived