Michael Logan: Emmy Shockers Ahead?

Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

From the April 28, 2008 issue of TV Guide...

EMMY SHOCKERS AHEAD?

Nominations for the 35th annual Daytime Emmys will be announced live on The View April 30, and I'm expecting some ghastly nods due to an expanded system that has allowed 143 actors on the ballot (a third more than last year). Never mind that most of 'em shouldn't be permitted anywhere near an Emmy, that's give or take two dozen in each of the acting categories! Several judges tell me they couldn't view that much footage (each actor submits two episodes) and voted without seeing all the work. Some chose not to vote at all. Plus, there's the usual nonsense: Several lead players, most egregiously All My Children's Alicia Minshew (Kendall), are hogging spots on the supporting list. And some of the best work isn't on the ballot. Where's General Hospital's Kelly Monaco (Sam)? Guiding Light's Beth Ehlers (Harley)? Without them, it's not a fair fight. And get this—the TV academy has decided to drop the follow-up round of voting after the nominees are announced. The winners will already be known based on this screwy preliminary vote and kept quiet until the awards are passed out June 20. What will happen? Let's hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alicia Minshew is NOT a supporting actress is a lead actress everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

However i can't say much when one of my alltime faves won a younger actress Emmy after carrying the show on her back for 2 years.

Guess i can't blame AM for wanting to win a Emmy!

• Members

It would be virtually impossible for Minshew to garner a lead nomination. They almost always go to established, respected, iconic older actresses, even if their screen time and story prominence don't merit inclusion in the lead category (Jeanne Cooper, Erika Slezak, Susan Lucci). Minshew has a much better chance in the supporting category, although she did essentially carry the show last year. I'm not a huge fan of Minshew's, but she just might get a supporting nod this year.

• Members

I hope not. I do not think she is a good enough dramatic actress to win in the Supporting category. More over she is on enough as it is and if she wins this will further encourage the writers and producers to keep her on EVERY single day of the week.

• Members

I think the lead actress category seems to be more reserved for the older actresses. It seems the supporting actress category is the only place the younger actress who probably is more lead stands a chance. I agree with what Logan said about supporting actress, but I don't think he's actually identifying the problem. Maybe some of these actresses deserve lifetime achievement awards and not best actress awards.

In regard to the rest of his article, It seems like the rules for the Emmys make the awards more of a joke each year.

Archived