April 7-11, 2008

Toups

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This would make some sense to me if GH's ratings were higher than they were last year or the year before but they were at 2.8 around the same time in 2006 and went down to 2.6 in 2007. The normal decline for a one year period seems to be about .1-.2. They went all the way down to 2.1 which was a pretty big tumble and now they're back to what seems to be their norm for 2008 which is still .3 of last year. I don't see how this can be equated to the mob raising ratings when the mob has been on GH for years.

If you find it funny that people think that nowadays viewers are looking for romance, I have to say I think it's funny that you think people are tuning in for amateur mob hour on GH. I don't have an issue with the mob as long as it's in context of their relationships. The mob exists on GH as a matter of convenience and people are probably used to them, although some take issue with the dark tone of the show. To me they're a bunch of one note characters who say "my life is dangerous" too many times to be taken seriously. It's dangerous and????

Since the mob is raising ratings then GH should be increasing each year instead of declining and it's not.

• Members

The reason why ATWT's numbers have flattened.....TOO MUCH KATIE AGAIN!!! The first time Jean P. and Co. featured her 24/7 the ratings tanked. Again it looks like Jean P. is back and Katie is back full force with everyone around her as props. And again low ratings. There was a better balance of storylines with the scabs writing for ATWT. Until Katie gets backburned again ATWT ratings will continue to suffer. Katie can not carry the show. Plain and simple!!

• Members

they use the word."my life is to dangerous" allot because it's a true fact. given how many times mobsters put out hits on Sonny/Jason..well their loved ones either almost got killed in the process. or shot. think about all the times violence inhabited port charles. every single minute a love interest for Sonny/Jason were a target due to mob activities. i think it's safe to say it should be taken seriously. the thing is. the mob on GH is unpredictable. you never know who will get shot or shot at. a shootout can occur at anytime. that's the beauty of the GH mob.

• Members

Even if you were talking about real people I couldn't relate to this since I hope real mobsters aren't one dimensional like this. I didn't watch The Sopranos but I bet some effort went into watching the show. Even though this is daytime tv and not prime time, the writing could be on par with effort. The only area in which they should have to lag is production value but at any given time a writer could produce a script that would be ready for prime time, if they cared to.

Now since this is basically lazy writing, that is why the repetition of danger, danger, danger exists. The mob is not unpredictable on GH because the writing on GH is far from unpredictable. The only people who don't know who's going to get shot are the ones who don't ever peak in the soap rags while they're at the store.

Anyway, my initial response to you was really about the ratings and I have no desire to turn this thread into a debate on the quality of GH's writing. The bottom line is that the increase in ratings does not represent the success of mob stories when the ratings were way below average and normal performance in the first place. That's all I have to say on this subject.

Archived