Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks. Well I'm glad they gave her some work, that was nice of them. I wonder why they didn't have her in a bigger role.

I'm glad that she was able to have a comeback a few years after this, as she was too beautiful and talented not to.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow. Charles Bateman was a GREAT CC. His reaction throughout that whole SL was spot-on. I grew to love Jed Allen and he absolutely embodied CC for me, but CB had chops, too.

And Lane Davies memorizing so much dialogue, some of it theatrical and overwrought, and delivering it perfectly. Judith McConnell was also great. We really took for granted back then just how good most soap actors could be.

And the theme tune and music between scene transitions -- awesome, thumping soap music.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd forgotten how nuts Gina was. Robin Mattson is fascinating here, just bizarre random insanity, especially when she gets that cigar.

Jed Allen cracks me up. Was this his usual performance?

That VCR going up so fast was like a Mr. Wizard lesson gone wrong.

• Members

I was watching another clip where everyone was nasty to Gina around Christmas. Who was Hayley, and who was Gina's sister? What happened to them? Hayley seemed like a bad actress and her sister seemed very wan.

Was Brandon born before SB started?

• Members

Brandon was born before SB aired, I believe in 1979 after Channing was shot.

Hayley was Gina's niece and Stacy Edwards was actually quite effective in the part. She could be very boring at times, but that's what the character called for. She was excellent when Hayley was raped and was surprisingly strong in her rivalries with Jane (Jane Sibbett) and Laken (Susan Marie Snyder). I liked the sweetness of Hayley's relationship with Ted- it's how Gina became fond of him (the only Capwell was) and that throughline continued until the show went off the air. Her death was certainly a sad one.

Summer Blake, Gina's sister, was killed off early on- I believe by the Carnation Killer, which turned out to be Peter Flint. Either that or the earthquake- not sure, as those were both before my time. The episode that hooked me in is when Gina (Linda Gibboney at the time) pulled the plug on CC's life support & framed Eden to take the fall.

I LOVED that Gina and the tape storyline. That tape drove story for quite a while- and to think that it was mainly thought up as a way to write Robin Wright off the show (temporarily) so she could film "The Princess Bride." Gina was such a great character, especially with Mattson in the part. She was tough, funny, vulnerable, and could be such a mean bitch. Hayley was sort of like her conciense & it took away from Gina's character when she was no longer there.

Start posting those SB articles & goodies you have Carl! LOL

• Members

Thanks for telling me more about Hayley.

I don't know a lot about those characters, or Ted. I didn't know he was on the show for 5 years. What did you think of him? Todd McKee had such a hot body but that's a lot of what I tend to remember about him. Did you like the recast?

So was that Gina's sister in the Christmas episode?

I will start on the articles tonight or tomorrow, although I might have overexagerrated, I'm not sure if I have a lot of great stuff.

• Members

That's Gina's daughter Lilly in the Christmas episode. At that time, she was known as "Lily Light" and was an evangelist conning Mason after Mary's death, taking advantage of his grief. She was later de-aged & brought back with Paula Irvine in the part in 1991. I actually really enjoyed Irvine's take on the role.

• Members

I was disappointed when Linda Gibboney left the role of Gina; I thought she was absolutely fantastic in it. However, Robin Mattson certainly made it her own. I also think Jed Allan was sheer perfection as CC, and his contributions to the show were and are greatly underrated. As is his past importance to DAYS, IMO.

• Members

I don't know if I can describe why I liked Linda Gibboney's performance, exactly. I think part of it was that angelic face of hers, with the big blue eyes, beaming at the awful things she was doing. There seemed to be an innocence to her at the same time she took great glee in manipulating the people around her. Robin Mattson was much harsher, I thought, though she was a better overall actress and had more chemistry with her screen partners. Don't get me wrong, I think Robin was great in the part. I don't know for sure whether Gibboney left or was fired, but I'd suspect the latter, given that Mattson was a much bigger soap name, with a much bigger fan following, from a show that aired directly opposite SB in most of the country.

• Members

Todd McKee was an excellent actor (as well as having a hot body). He had a lot of storyline with Laken and then Hayley in the first 2-3 years of the show, and then for whatever reason, he didn't have much to do his last 2 years. I thought SB did that a lot -- forgot about good actors and characters (Ted, Warren) and eventually wrote some of them off (Brick) in favor of characters that went nowhere. Todd and John Allen Nelson both left on their own accord, not sure about the actor who played Brick. Regardless, I thought Todd was great in the role of Ted - just wished they had used him more. He had good chemistry with Stacy Edwards (Hayley) and Julie Ronnie (1st Laken) and probably would have been good with the second Laken (Susan Marie Snyder), although they dropped her too right after they killed Hayley (maybe this was around the writers' strike? Seriously, what the heck were they thinking.). He also interacted really well with the Capwell siblings, especially Mason. I had stopped watching SB by the time they brought Ted #2 in. From what I've read, he was fine in the part, but McKee really defined the role.

• Members

Thanks for telling me all that. It's too bad they didn't keep him around. Was he like the baby of the family? Or was that Kelly?

I saw an old SOD with Susan Marie Snyder as Laken and she had frizzy blonde hair. It was such a shock. I always see her as Julie on ATWT.

I was going to ask if you agreed with what SOD said about Kelly being the most overexposed heroine of 1991.