Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

Sylph

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll never forget Hero, and then I found out that it was her who sang it, then I quit listening to it. :lol:

I just don't care for her. I don't know why to tell you the truth, but this video is cheesy. I'm sure it's meant for comedy, but it's BAD comedy.

Hey Sylph! You can put this video in the appalling music thread! :)

• Members

Apparently, this is a Mariah haters message board! :P  I don't know how she sells big if people despise her!

Noel, how can you all of a suddent start hating a song just because a certain person is singing it?

• Members

We get it already Mariah. You divorced your controlling husband Tommy and you are finally able to be a cleavage baring, generic little slut. You sent out the memo over a decade ago. You know, when you still made music that was, oh, whats the word, BEARABLE!

• Members

I really hate this song. It's very generic, lacks substance and lacks true.....vocal ability. Mariah hasn't made good music since maybe her "Butterfly" album. Since then it's all been downhill. The breathy, half-assed singing is not what I want to listen to. I want late 80's, early 90's Mariah. The Mariah that gave me chills when she sang.

She needs to put on some damn clothes too.

• Members

I'm not a Mariah fan really but I like her somewhat. I have to admit part of what I enjoy about her is how spacey she seems to be, more and more. One of my best friends though is a MASSIVE fan, so I took him to her concert last year in Vancouver--5th row floor seats thank you very much. It was fun, although it certainly wasn't on the performance/spectacle level of Madonna, or Kylie or a number of other live concerts I went to that same year (Pet Shop Boys, I could go on...). She sounded really great live though, after I had heard her voice was going, and I give her props for that and she sang Can't Let Go one of my fave songs by her so I had a blast...

But those clothes... She needs to hire people who will say NO to her when she asks if something looks good. Online, there's a hilarious pic of the original costume designs for her tour which are beautiful and what they looked like on her on the tour, which is... skanky. I hate people bugging Mariah about her weight or other superficial crap--she was at a good weight. BUT her "outfits" were hardly built to her advantage--it was like she took a nice evening gown and then cut holes at various parts--her stomach, etc, randomly. Or the infamous bikini type outfit (which must ainspired Britney for her MTV performance which Mariah seems to think is classed up by wearing a cape... LOL It made her look pudgy and ridiculous, but... Anyway like I said that campy bizarreness is, I admit, a huge part of the appeal to me so I laughed and enjoyed every minute (and not mean spiritedly I swear).

But yeah she's had some great music, and I think Touch My Body is a cute song--I don't mind if not every song of hers doesn't show off her full octave. That said, I hate the diva style of singing that she (and Whitney at her mos tover the top mid 90s period) helped popularize and American Idol isn't helping to desatiate. It sometimes has its place with a song, but often it's just not impressive to do endless runs showing the full range of your voice, etc, when it doesn't serve the song at all. I go for the Donna Summer school of diva-dom where, as Donna says (and she has IMHO at least as impressive a voice, and a more varried from full falsetto to full belt, than Mariah even without the dog whistle sounds), she approaches each song like you would a role on film or stage--find the character that works for it, etc--either a soft voice, a full belt, etc. But don't use EVERY song to show EVERYTHING you can do--especially when there are so many runs the audience might forget what the melody of the song even is (Miss Aguilera you're guilty of this too as much as I love your voice). Sometimes that's what I appreciate about the lesser voiced "Divas" like Madonna and my beloved Miss Minogue--they just sing the damn song as it was written to be sung :P (Everyone seemed to adore that version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow sung on American Idol a while back--by Kelli Pickler I think? I just wondered what happened to the gorgeous Harold Arlen melody).

(Oh my fave Mariah? I have a soft spot for Emotions--love the ballads especially Till the End of Time and Can't Let Go and the dance tracks--her first--by C+C Music Factory are great blasts of early 90s joy for me--reminds me of being 11 or so. I also, being a bit of a club whore right around 2000, love her dance remixes from then and have a number of the remix single cds--David Morales did her best ones and Mariah actually went back into the studios to do new vocals for him--a rarity for dance mixes. The Morales mixes of I Still believe and especially My All are still faves of mine--in their full 10 minute glory. But even on her more recent or flop albums you can find some great Mariah moments--among all the "rent a rapper" silliness, etc. Her bizarre choice to cover the hard rock power ballad Bringing on the Heartache for Glitter is *gorgeous* and I was disappointed but not surprised she ignored it during her tour).

Oh and that's another thing Mariah is guilty of--popularizing the rent-a-rapper approach to having a US hit that is still pervasive (I mean did a great pop song like Rhianna's Umbrella really need JayZ?? No...) Look at my Kylie thread for one of the most ridiculous examples of this (I never thought Kylie would sink so low for a US hit *cry*) and of course the current Madonna with Kanye West rapping on a track, etc, has me a bit meh.

• Members

The point people often make when talking about voice is that a person should have a huge range. That is so wrong!

I do not care if you can sing five octaves if you sing it horribly, unevenly, with shaky top notes and rusty bottom ones...

The voice should be even in all it's range. You don't have to sing florid coloratura passages, you just have to have good technique and breath control. And possibly unaspirated sound production. I love Cecilia Bartoli... But her aspiration bothers me. Big time.

:D

• Members

I think you also know what your voice is for. I don't expect the same kinda voice or vocal technique from a soprano as I would from someone like Madonna, or a stage singer like Bernadette Peters. I don't always wanna listen to the same thing just like I don't liek watching the same style of movie or only reading heavy lit.

Archived