Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

Sylph

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Touch My Body" is a song co-written by American singer Mariah Carey, Cri$tyle and Terius "The-Dream" Nash for Carey's 11th studio album, E=MC². It is the first single off E=MC². It was produced by Carey and Tricky Stewart.

style>

Critical receptionReviews of the song by critics have been generally positive. Billboard was quite positive, saying that "this sensual jam is 100% Mariah, packed with satisfying harmonic layers and hooky background 'oh's,' supersonic verses and a chorus as catchy as a winter sniffle", and Blender stated that it was a "pop genius making genius pop". Bill Lamb from About.com also gave "Touch My Body" a positive review, giving it 4 out of 5 stars, stating that the single "is simple, sexy elegance from one of the most enduring of pop stars".[13] Newsday also named it as the "Song of the Week", commenting that it was "the best opening single she's had since "Heartbreaker".Some critics were less positive. Slant Magazine's Sal Cinquemani said that the single "isn't exactly filled with combustible energy and it lacks the full-throttle belting that accompanied the Return of the Voice three years ago, but it features all of the characteristics one expects from a latter-day Mariah track". Website Urban Review stated that although the song had that "Mariah feel" to it, it was "underwhelm[ing]". Rolling Stone gave it 3.5 stars in its March 6, 2008 issue, as they felt that "this hyperdirty single [has] Mariah's storied vocal range...blunted in favor of generic, higly digitized heavy breathing, [but it is] a spare, slick track composed mostly of synths and finger snaps".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Members

I don't like it and I haven't cared for anything she's released in like a decade. All she does is recycle the same old s-h-i-t over and over again. Oh, why doesn't she use her full voice anymore? The whispering singing crap she does is so annoying. She's always been a "I'll do whatever is popular at the moment" artist, but this song is really generic, even for her.

• Members

:lol: I knew you would write this! I knew it!

No one is claiming that this song is an Earth-shattering, ground-breaking achievement. There are other people that do that sort of things.

MC is someone you can rely to deliever corny ballads, summery songs with effective hooks. In your words "all she does is recycle the same old s-h-i-t." Sure, who cares? She still sells millions of records world-wide, and that's all she cares about that.

And yes, her voice is damaged and bleached ever since Glitter, I believe. Goodbye F sharp/G sharp above (soprano) high C. But she didn't just lose the range — even that what's left of it is shaky and rusty.

• Members

She doesn't even do good ballads anymore IMO. All she does is the run of the mill mid-tempo R&B [!@#$%^&*]. Her material this decade has generally lacked a good melodic hook, something much of her 90's material had. I don't care how much she sells, at the end of the day, that's not going to make me like her music any better. Effective hooks? Her lyrics are as generic as her overall production, talk about dumbing down your music to reach commercial success. Though, she is really into herself, I've never seen an artist like her who likes to brag about how many #1 singles she's had and how many albums she's sold.

Her voice has been on a steady decline since the late 90's, the whispering singing crap really grates my nerves.

I don't look for a "Earth-shattering, ground-breaking achievement," I look for something that takes what is deemed mainstream and adds a spin to it. She doesn't do that for me, nothing stands out about what she does, so many other people do the same.

• Members

To me "corny" doesn't equal good. And that's how I described her recent output. I also started a topic on that kind of songs. Do you really believe that a song like, say, My All would achieve the same success and timelessness had it been released yesterday? I don't think so. No one is composing that kind of thing anymore. I told you recently — sometimes you just love things you know are not "good", whatever that means...

As for hook, I meant melodically. I know that her lyrics always sucked. At least to me.

She and her outrageous pinkness and sweetness is what's so silly and entertaining to me. Add to that overly tight jeans, whistle register and awful album titles - and I laugh all day just thinking about it.

I'm not saying that the fact that she's selling material should make you love her — it just means that she won't change course even though the critics are throwing stones at her as long as she's achieving quadruple platinum status. Although, as I wrote above, this song is getting favourable reviews. So far.

You're never going to get it. That's not why she's here. I don't care that it doesn't stand out. It's "sunny, flirty, and syncopated just the way Mimi likes it" and that's enough for me.

If I want a spin to mainstream, I listen to other people.

• Members

LOL! Are you saying you like her for all the wrong reasons, Sylphy?

You're right, her lyrics have always generally been deplorable. She writes from the point of view of a 15 year old school girl who has a crush on the boy who sits next to her in science class.

My All is "timeless".....oh dear.

I think, and this is just my opinion. The only consistent album she's ever had was her debut album back in 1990. Yes, it was too polished in some respects, but to date, it's probably her best received album critically and to me as well.

• Members

YES!

Well, yeah, to me it is. And I no many people, musically educated and not, who think so too. If that is a kind of argument. That song never grows old. And it's not my favourite Mariah song.

Vision of Love? What's your favourite Mimi song? :P

• Members

Her debut album was self-titled and that was back when she seemed like a sane person, of course Tommy Mottola had a lot to do with that.

Favourite song? Eh, Vision of Love is up there, Someday, Dreamlover, Prisoner, and a few of the remixes for The Roof are up there.

I don't get your "My All" argument, in the grand scheme of things, it's not one of her most memorable hits and doesn't get enough recurrent airplay as many of her older hits

• Members

Vision of Love question was supposed to mean "the album that contained Vision of Love". :P  And what - now she's insane? :lol:

:mellow:

OK, I'm confused. Everything I say turns out misinterpreted. I said if you can consider the fact that many musician and non-musicians I know, as well as a lot of people I don't, think that My All is a very good song — then it might be called timeless. For some it is, for some it's not. I know it's contradictory... But I'm so tired I don't even know what I'm writing...

Archived