Days: TV Guide confirms ************* is back

• Members

Well that pretty much confirmed what I thought about the story. I was pretty sure I smelled a rat, and there was a rat.

Now the big question is what they will do with John. Amnesia? The Pawn story all over again?? How long before he and Marlena are able to connect on the level they were at before??? If done correctly it could be a good story.

I stress "if done correctly" because now we know who's writing during the strike. <_<

The saving grace from this is maybe Dena will never have WGA membership again because of it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've thought his firing was a stunt all along. So I'm not at all surprised and the second Stefano mentioned having a "houseguest" I knew it would be John.

But I'm also VERY wary that Dena Higley is again head-writing DAYS while Sheffer is on strike. UGHHHHHH.

You can also tell Dena's influence, IMO. She's clearly a Lumi lover (thus Dattilo stays), never wrote for Billie (Pinson out), somewhat wrote for Lexie (Jones back), Roman and Kate are being used a lot more recently (she loved Kaman), rumors have John Aniston back (she wrote for Victor) ... maybe I'm stretching but still ...

• Members

She may not write the best stories, but at least Dena writes for the older characters and puts them in stories with other characters. I think when the strike is over, Dena and Hogan could perhaps be a great match. They have the potential to cancel out each other's negative points. Dena's always had a problem executing her ideas in an interesting way, so maybe Hogan could be a positive influence. The other option, however, is that the negative points of each writer totally takes over the positives.

• Members

I suspected John wasn't dead when Corday paid for Drake's trip to Australia and back to promote Days over there...right after John was killed off here. Money-crunching execs aren't usually that generous with stars they've given the ax.

I still don't understand what's going on with Higley. Is Sheffer's bible already out...or is she simply tweaking the storylines from the standpoint of script or breakdowns? I don't see her crossing that picket line as a good move for her writing future...even if it does help Corday and Scott right now. Once the strike is settled, will Days still keep her as co-headwriter on the show?

Loretta

• Members

I still can't get over how horrible Higley's first run was. I remember how strong the show was under Brash and Cwigly, and how quickly it fell once Higley started writing her version of Days. I, for one, hope she is shortlived. I really can't see her doing all that great after the way she wrote for Days, then OLTL.

• Members

True, very true. Without Higley's patheits era, Days would have been strong enough to refuse JER. It was under Higley that the show fell to a 2.4 for the first time. I think Langan put the first nail in the shows coffin, and Higley cam along a few years later and drove it in. JER may be a hack, but Higley did worse (IMO)

As far as Drake coming back....... I'm glad but I agree that the timing seems rushed and almost appears to be driven by panic. It's like the execs are saying "Quickly, lets do this storyline amd see if it moves the ratings." People want this, but I think we wanted to see Marlena take on Stefano first, and maybe even try to move on. I think it would have been great for November sweeps, but this Feb? Too Quick. The storyline is under developed right now, so I think the big surge that the show could have attained by bringing Drake back will be lost. It may see a point bump, but right now there is nothing at stake with his return. Marlena has accomplished nothing. There's not much going on with Belle, and the show seems to be at the same point it was when he left.

A good soap return from the dead should upset the applecart, not be a mere plotpoint. When there is nothing major coming from the return besides the return, you can bet ratings won't be going up...JMO.

• Members

I've been thinking about this and I agree. As bad as Highley is, she KNOWS the show. She's worked on it for years. She gives the writing staff more of a connection to the show, which is a trait many of you have been criticizing Hogan for months now. In turn, Hogan brings his experience to the table. He may not be the best HW ever (and he isn't--by far), but in this current daytime environment, he IS the best. Under his tenure, the day-to-day writing has been truly entertaining, even if the overall story tends to meander. His execution is better. Highley could give more stories tying to DAYS history and the "legacy" characters, while Sheffer has enough bite (along with his flock of writers) to give those stories some pizaz.

• Members

Well, it´s not like Sheffer had anything planned for Billie. If there is nothing for her in his outlines, there is no reason why the show should pay her till atleast May, but probably even more, basically for nothing. And I don´t see anything wrong at bringing back Lexie and I will love to see Viktor again.

As for Sheffer, let´s face it, he was awfull and done literally nothing positive for the show till Ed Scott and his team started producing the show. We will probably never know how much of it was Corday and/or Wyman, but at the beginning of summer Sheffer swore the story from now on is his own. And it sucked. Using the most expensive and popular characters basically as narrators in a story almost nobody cares off, that was the most idiotic decision ever. Even Corday seemed to be really angry. There were only two stories on the show, EJami and Touch the Sky, and both majorly unpopular and featuring the wrong characters. Plus, there are a lot of rumours he left the show in the hands of Meg Kelly because his schedule was full with the Wanna be soapstar reality show. What HW lets the show in hands of his assistant at the time when the show is clearly in a crysis and needs a lot of work?

Anyway, I believe an EP and HW works on stories together. And I don´t see any reason why wouldn´t Ed Scott control and supervise Dena Highley the same way he managed to set right Sheffer.

• Members

Jane, I never meant to imply that I was upset at either Lexie or Victor returning and being used. I love them and am glad they are returning. I was just simply pointing out Dena's possible influence.

When did Dena start? Technically?

And I do think the idea of Dena/Hogan is a good idea, actually. I think they could benefit each other big time.

Archived