Days: TV Guide confirms ************* is back

• Members

They mention this in the Days part of their "Worst of 2007" article:

Days of Our Lives PRETENDED to kill it's most popular character, John, played by Drake Hogestyn. Even the cast was fooled. But the Neilsens stayed flat, Hogestyn is now back at work and we're left to wondering: How the hell can we ever invest in Days again?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, Ryan.

No soap should've gotten best show. No one really stood out this year.

About Drake...rumors are swirling as to what happened but IMO Days needed this. I know the ratings were fine and I hate death being a mockery again but there is no one else to pair Marlena with. They have her independent for a bit but they would need someone for her eventually and Wayne is not coming back. Drake is a fan fave with a big fanbase and Days is already doing better in the ratings so with a good story and the vets on the frontburner with him the show could do well with this. The least of Days' worries right now is the critics because the show is fighting for survival and this is for the best.

• Members

im going to like this time that john will have to find out who he really is again, and have to fall in love with Marlena all over again, however maybe they could throw something in there to keep John from falling for marlena but someone else...someone say KRISTEN!???

• Members

Really people......did anyone truly think John was staying dead? When I character is killed off, I want some kind of confirmation like this: "Courtney does not figure into our plans, nor does any other character played by Alicia." responds head writer Bob Guza. "Her character is dead." ~SOW/May, 2006

I do think bringing him back so soon isn't a good idea, but it was originally part of Hogan's idea. Now if plans change b/c of the strike, that's no one's fault but Corday's and Higley's.

Hogan killing off one character and bringing him back (which was his plan from the beginning), is nothing like JER's killing people off.

• Members

I guess it goes back to Hogan's horrendous problem of pacing his stories. The guy never could do it at ATWT and now at Days. I have no problem with John coming back, but not so soon. This story should've been dragged out for at least six months with some subtle hints, which would build an even greater sense of suspense. It seems like since he died, they ignored it for few weeks and then went back to it with this mystery houseguest thing, who we obviously know is John. Bringing John back so soon kills any emotional impact that the overall story might have had. Whereas if they build this story up for months and we get a big John reveal or Marlena and John confrontation in April or for May sweeps it would be a better story and more emotionally compelling.

We should've have gotten a great mini-story for Marlena as well, one where she's still grieving, coming to terms with what happened, and finally where she seems to have moved on in the end a bit. Then after all of that, we get the big "John Is Alive" reveal. It would've made for a better and more logical story, and we haven't really gotten any of that yet.

• Members

It was a bit rushed but the show doesn't exactly have alot of time either. Hell, if ratings are low enough, NBC may pull it after the Olympics (I doubt it but still) so waiting that long to pull a big move may be too risky.

I always thought he was returning and Ryan is right, it's nothing like JER. However, that funeral and death felt real so who knows. I think Hogan did this, if it was planned, as a way to shake up J&M and actually give the vets a decent story because Days needs to do something to keep character and couples fresh with how long they have been on and together. With it's fanbases, it can't break them up anymore or do much in the way of realistic drama without people boycotting so they have to do what they can and things like this please them. It shouldn't but it does and it's why Days keeps going back to stuff like this. Choices are limited when you consider how long these characters and couples have been around and when you consider how the fanbases react to things.

Archived