NEW HOME FOR DAYS

• Members

2009 is right around the corner, and the question is will NBC let go of longest running showon the network... "DAYS" - as you can see over the years NBC cancel one great show after another, Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach, Another World, and most recently passions - but thanks to Direct TV - some of us can still catch passions - SO if NBC would to let go DAYS; do you think another Network will save the show, and which network would you like to see days on and why... ABC, CBS, or would you be happy if Soapnet take it over complete?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A half hour show would not be a bad idea... and focusing on the key characters - B&B have been doing very well; the producer/writers would have to be very smart / and careful of how they handle the cut... hopeful it will not come to this, and NBC will keep the show... all will be depend of how will the show do in 2008...

• Members

There is no way to save DAYS, but a spin-off is a VERY smart idea. Fans need to organize, promote the idea and let the people involved with the show know. I could see SOAPnet or DirecTV picking up a cheaper, half-hour (or even an hour) new soap with a couple DAYS cast members shacked up in a new town. You could take Lucas and Sami, or Shawn and Belle, or Bo & Hope, that cancelled Marlena spin-off is a good idea as well.

If anything, I expect they'll try and save DAYS via massive budget cuts (ala PSNS) and it just won't work.

• Members

A spin-off on a smaller network would have lower ratings expectations, so it could work. The only other real option is slashing the budget which wouldn't work for this type of show. Of course if ABC can't rebound and cancel a soap, maybe it would be replaced with DAYS. Still too early to tell.

• Members

NBC has a controlling interest in Passions, which is what they don't have in Days. They tried to find Passions a new home, simply because they make a bigger profit out of it, since they have ownership in it.

Days' production costs are higher than any other soap, which is going to be the primary factor why another network won't even consider taking on the show. Also, when you add to that the financial problems, horrible ratings, and the fact that soaps that switch networks tend to lose over half their audience, it isn't likely that another network, at least one of the big networks, will ever pick up the show.

• Members

You've totally nailed all of the problems facing DAYS in changing broadcasters. The show, simply put, has become cost prohibitive. Sony wants to keep it on the air because it makes so much money overseas, so never say never, but I think DAYS faces major problems. ABC would want ownership which it isn't going to get. Compared to GL or ATWT, DAYS is just too expensive and right now the ratings are so comparable that it just wouldn't make sense to ditch either of those soaps in favour of DAYS. And really, all things have to come to an end at some point, DAYS is a husk of its former self. Unless the situation changes dramatically in 2008 I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 20 2007, 10:05 PM)
There is no way to save DAYS, but a spin-off is a VERY smart idea. Fans need to organize, promote the idea and let the people involved with the show know. I could see SOAPnet or DirecTV picking up a cheaper, half-hour (or even an hour) new soap with a couple DAYS cast members shacked up in a new town. You could take Lucas and Sami, or Shawn and Belle, or Bo & Hope, that cancelled Marlena spin-off is a good idea as well.

If anything, I expect they'll try and save DAYS via massive budget cuts (ala PSNS) and it just won't work.

I agree - a spin would be lovely - and interesting to see - with SAMI in the frontline - thing can be very interesting...

• Members

I agree - a spin would be lovely - and interesting to see - with SAMI in the frontline - thing can be very interesting...

• Members

Hmmm...spinoff? Even if it is shorter, co-owned by NBC...I don't know.

"The City" didn't save "Loving". "Port Charles" (not a replacement spinoff, but still) didn't get the eyeballs that its' sister soap GH did (although I realize there were also timeslot and clearance issues).

Soapnet proclaimed Night Shift a hit...but who knows? Even in its' heyday, Eileen Fulton's ATWT spinoff on CBS in the 1950s ("Our Private World") was not a hit.

AW's two big spinoffs (Somerset, Texas) were not hits.

I can't think of a single spinoff that ever succeeded commercially. Am I missing one?

• Members

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here but I really think Days is a goner. In order to move to ABC or CBS, they would have to cancel one of their soaps to make room for it and I don't want to see that happen, not even for Days. That would not be fair to the fans of those shows.

As someone pointed out, NBC has a vested interest in Passions, that's why it ended up being moved. They do not own Days.

At his PA in Illiniois, Drake Hogestyn was quoted as saying that NBC has been taking steps to dismantle Days, confirming what we already knew: NBC is no longer interested in it.

Because of it's high licensing fees, I don't see how Soapnet will be able to afford it.

So what's left and most importantly, will the show even be given a chance to find a new home?

• Members

I don't want DAYS knocked down to 30 minutes. It wouldn't last at 30 minutes IMHO. SoapNet might take it. I think CBS might take it as well, with them canceling GL or PRICE IS RIGHT for it. I don't see ABC taking it. All of thier soaps are higher in the ratings. I wouldn't care if ABC canceled AMC in a way, but I would rather see AMC go back to being a great soap. Another possibility is ABC canceling THE VIEW, but doubt that, or maybe FOX, USA or LIFETIME taking DAYS.

Archived