NEW HOME FOR DAYS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Somerset and Port Charles ran for like 7 years. If a DAYS spin-off got that, it would be a HUGE success these days. Also, on a network like SOAPnet or DirecTV they won't expect high ratings. If GH: Night Shift is a hit (and they're spin-off the other soaps), it's not outrageous to think DAYS could have a successful spin-off.

• Members

Somerset and Port Charles ran for like 7 years. If a DAYS spin-off got that, it would be a HUGE success these days. Also, on a network like SOAPnet or DirecTV they won't expect high ratings. If GH: Night Shift is a hit (and they're spin-off the other soaps), it's not outrageous to think DAYS could have a successful spin-off.

• Members

Days has to get it together and fast in order to continue. The problem is the daytime audience is too busy to sit down and invest in soaps like they use to. The world moves at a fast pace now, and I for one, can't sit down and watch every single day. Not only has the American audience changed, but soaps have changed trying to fight for the smaller piece of pie that is left by changing times and audiences.

Network TV is down thanks to cable television shows that are gaining steam. I mean even pay networks have hit gold with "Weeds" and "The Soprano's".

The audience simply isn't there, so the soaps fight it out. Producers and Network execs have changed the soaps to appeal to the audience, but the changes have left the few of us left devoted to the soaps disenchanted. Days is a shaddow of it's former self. The character development has stunk for years.

Sheri Anderson was the last writer we had that understood how to develop characters. Remember how she had Lucas as just this punk kid with a dead father, and gradually built up to this big Horton showdown where it was reavealed Laura's suicide attempt twenty years ago was caused by this. It was a twenty year mystery solved for viewers, and helped us accept a new young character on the canvas. We soap fans are tough on new characters getting screen time, so she developed new characters by building on old story, and showcasing characters we love. Reilly was co-writing, but that was a Sheri move. The showdown brought Days up to #3 in the ratings that week.

Days got so desperate to be young and hip that it's nearly pushed history completely aside.

TO The POINT: sorry for my rant.....Days will probably die in 2009. It won't go to the CW, cause it can't afford it....ABC would probably make room, if Corday sold. Thats no dice, and it wouldn't be fair to ABC viewers. CBS will not take it on. Sony may try to offer the network a deal, and would no doubt love to have both it's soaps on one network, but they won't bite. Days is costly. A costly show with under three million viewers isn't desirable. I hate it, but this time I can't blame the networks. Soapnet can't afford it. Direct TV would dismantle it and make it a farce.

Days will probably die in 2009. Just let it die with dignity and the best writing and production values possible. Make Salem a place we love and recognize again. I want to enjoy this last year, and break my neck to leave the office everyday at 12:50 PM so I won't miss a minute. Since it's going out, just let it be Days again.

• Members

Days will not die, how many times has we been through this with days. it wont die, u watch, i will be the last one laughing lol. How do u know the CW can't afford days, they could afford it if they get rid of almost all there shows except one tree hill. CW would kick some ass if One tree hill and Days of our lives was there only shows.

• Members

Probably because it's not about other shows and their viewers. I would hate to see any show go, especially Days, but if there's hope somewhere else then I say go for it. Even those of us who love the show know there are plenty of characters and storylines that can go to make a tighter, more profitable ship. Nostalgia is something we all have for many things but, does everything have to stay as is or will you accept a stripped down version of the show?

• Members

StephanieLover, I try to respect you.....but speaking directly, The CW series "One Tree Hill" comes on once (at the most twice) a week. "Days" is a daytime drama that comes on five times a week. It comes on during the day, not at night when the moon is out and the stars are shining bright. Day....Night. There's a difference. The CW would have to cut the cast drastically to get days and support it. The show may have four regular sets left at the most. The heart of the cast that you dislike so much would have to go, but MOST of us who love and watch the show would never watch it in that state. It would be pointless.

I don't think it would ever happen. Why would CW pick it up when they can't even keep their primetime together? I mean they need to organize that first, right?

I would HATE for Days to go. I've watched it prtobably much longer than you've been alive. BUT, being older, and wiser to the way this industry works, there is very little hope.

If it does live, it would be stripped of everything that makes it unique. It would be a shell of it's former self, and a sad reminder of what it has been. If thats the case, I'd rather see it go than let it come to that. I love the show too much to watch it suffer like that.

• Members

IA with you here. NBC has to stop straddling the fense and say if they want Days or not. This is silly. The show, creatively, is on an upswing (and will be doing better when the vets are pushed), but the network is cutting it's own throat by treating it this way now. In the past, yes, I could see it, because the show was horrible. But now.....damn.

It truly does make you shake your head.

• Members

I agree completely. It seems so much better with Ed Scott at the helm. If only they had made a move like this back in 2003....We would have a real shot. John's funeral was the best compliation of episodes I've seen on this show in a decade, but we are facing the end despite a creative rebound....SAD.

Archived