DAYS: DEIDRE HALL INTERVIEW

• Members

a) Why should she, B) Why wouldn't she be proud of her friends? And DAYS does have a very underrated cast. And I don't mean overrated people like AS, TP or the like, I mean people like John Aniston, Kristian Alfonso, Peter Reckell, Martha Madison, James Reynolds... Wonderful actors who don't get their due.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If he liked Marlena, but didn't like John, he could break the couple up. If he liked Marlena, why wasn't she at the center for the fued that is centered around HER? There are no excuses and no I'm not basing my opinion on Hogan's writing for ATWT. He was miles better for ATWT, his stint as DAYS has been an absolute flop, IMO. You can't sit any writer on any show and expect it to work. Claire Labine is well respected, but flopped on OLTL and GL, it happens. DAYS needs to cut their losses and move on, IMO. Hogan will simply continue the show on his uneven and mediocre path until it's cancelled.

She could finally get that Emmy as well!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 8 2007, 05:38 PM)
If he liked Marlena, but didn't like John, he could break the couple up. If he liked Marlena, why wasn't she at the center for the fued that is centered around HER? There are no excuses and no I'm not basing my opinion on Hogan's writing for ATWT. He was miles better for ATWT, his stint as DAYS has been an absolute flop, IMO. You can't sit any writer on any show and expect it to work. Claire Labine is well respected, but flopped on OLTL and GL, it happens. DAYS needs to cut their losses and move on, IMO. Hogan will simply continue the show on his uneven and mediocre path until it's cancelled.

Corday's been trying to erase J&M from the show for years so, no, this is not on Hogan. That is why they were not a part of the feud until now. Hogan worked fine for the show until Corday got involved in January, benched the vets, etc. The show does not have time for a new writer and another transition. No one will sit through that and the ratings will tank even more then they would if Hogan was still here. Under Ed, things have improved so getting rid of Hogan would do nothing but cause more unneeded upheaval.

I would not wish LML on Deidre Hall. No way in hell.

• Members

Everything gets blamed on Corday, but I do think Hogan takes the majority of the blame for things that have happened during his time on DAYS. For starters, the majority of things DAYS fans complain about, he did at ATWT. Was Corday pulling double duty? I think all the talk about firing those actors due to budget cuts was a load of bollocks so fans wouldn't be upset. The overload of teens (played by models) and lack of vets: As the World Turns (2000-2005). He went on and on about how he loved Tom and Margo and he showed his love by never featuring the supercouple.

I don't understand how DAYS fans can so such loyalty to these writers. When JER was writing DAYS you could hardly say a bad thing about the show without being called a hater. Then when he was gone the DAYS fans suddenly echoed the naysayers comments. Soaps have gotten so bad because fans will accept just about anything before speaking up. I'm over that. I don't want a mediocre show (ATWT, DAYS), or one that's just plain bad (AMC, GH, Y&R, GL), I want consistant quality which only OLTL and B&B seem to be giving.

So say Hogan decides to leave and his co-head Dena Higley takes over...will DAYS still not have time for another transition? I don't think any soap should have to settle for less. When soaps were high rated and had time, they'd fire a headwriter as soon as they saw it wasn't working. This was a successful move for most soaps, which eventually found the right writer. Now that we have no time is not the time to give these crap writers endless chances. That sentiment is why Jean Passanante will get ATWT cancelled like she did it's spin-off AW and tried to do with AMC!

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 8 2007, 06:38 PM)

The backslash if he had broken them would have been ENORMOUS. At least when he died they were together. Also, John and Marlena have been IMO broken up WAY too many times. It would not be realistic for them to break up again like this.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 8 2007, 06:56 PM)
Everything gets blamed on Corday, but I do think Hogan takes the majority of the blame for things that have happened during his time on DAYS. For starters, the majority of things DAYS fans complain about, he did at ATWT. Was Corday pulling double duty? I think all the talk about firing those actors due to budget cuts was a load of bollocks so fans wouldn't be upset. The overload of teens (played by models) and lack of vets: As the World Turns (2000-2005). He went on and on about how he loved Tom and Margo and he showed his love by never featuring the supercouple.

I don't understand how DAYS fans can so such loyalty to these writers. When JER was writing DAYS you could hardly say a bad thing about the show without being called a hater. Then when he was gone the DAYS fans suddenly echoed the naysayers comments. Soaps have gotten so bad because fans will accept just about anything before speaking up. I'm over that. I don't want a mediocre show (ATWT, DAYS), or one that's just plain bad (AMC, GH, Y&R, GL), I want consistant quality which only OLTL and B&B seem to be giving.

So say Hogan decides to leave and his co-head Dena Higley takes over...will DAYS still not have time for another transition? I don't think any soap should have to settle for less. When soaps were high rated and had time, they'd fire a headwriter as soon as they saw it wasn't working. This was a successful move for most soaps, which eventually found the right writer. Now that we have no time is not the time to give these crap writers endless chances. That sentiment is why Jean Passanante will get ATWT cancelled like she did it's spin-off AW and tried to do with AMC!

It's not settling for less. It's a fact. A transition can take months and Days' contract is up in March of 2009. Same would go for Higley. We would get a transition and the show took alot of flak for the last one which featured months of not much going on. Yes, Hogan gets blame for the bad pacing at times and his difficulty as far as applying history to stories, along other things, but the balance and firings was all Corday. Screwing Bo and Hope and John and Marlena fans was all Corday. The man has a history of this stuff.

As for Hogan's ATWT, the man burnt out at the end but his run was a success and many deserving stars got stories. Colleen Zenk Pinter finally was more then wall paper. I would not call Hogan's version of Days mediocre. Inconsistent would be a better word. OLTL is better but it's not exciting enough to get ratings. It's a ways a way yet. I don't see the fuss about B&B. It's alright but that is what it always is like to me....just alright.

I should also say I bashed alot of what JER did once Melaswen hit and I have even found myself criticizing his first run as the more I re-watch that stuff the worse some of it gets (not all but some). I'm not saying Hogan is blameless but the majority of the blame falls on Corday, along with NBC as well.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

• Members

I personally think wasting John, then only wheeling him out to kill him (for ratings) was more offensive than breaking the couple up. I personally would've done neither, I just hate when these crap writers use the vets when it's down to the wire and they need a ratings fix. This is what GH constantly does for their sweeps stunts, off an important vet. They know viewers want to see them, but they don't want to write for them so this is the solution.

Archived