10 things to fix GH

• Members

I have been a loyal GH viewer since 1981. However, I haven't watched the in the last 3 months and I really miss my old show.

Here are my 10 things to fix GH right now, are you listening JFP?

1) Bring back Lucy Coe

2) Have the PC police arrest all the mob players and throw away the key

3) I want a love triangle between Tracy, Monica and a new doc

4) Besides the mob players, get rid of Emily

5) I want romance back

6) Bring back Scorpio, Anna,Tiffany and Laura

7) I want more social issue, paging Lucas

8) Stop the violence, this is not a soap opera

9) Have Bobbie return to prostituting

10) I want more bare chesting hunks (Lucky, Jason, Ric)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

>> I was with you until #9.

And I was with them until #1.

Here are perhaps five things I might do, if I were to fix GH:

1) Stop the violence. People watch soaps to see extraordinary characters caught in ordinary circumstances, not to watch mobsters blow each other away. It's repetitive, and it's antithetical to what these shows should be about. (And when was the last time any of these sociopaths actually paid for their misdeeds, anyway?) Get GH back to the kind of emotional, heart-tugging, kitchen-sink drama that Claire Labine and Wendy Riche perfected in the early- and mid-'90s.

2) Bring back Genie Francis. I don't want to hear about how or why it can't be done. Where there's a will, there's a way. GF's an icon, about the only person who can make Tony Geary's Luke tolerable, and exactly the sort of "mother-confessor" daytime lacks today.

3) Rebuild the Quartermaine family. Once upon a time, the Quartermaines were one of GH's, and daytime's, most thriving families. Today, it has dwindled down to Edward, who could go at any moment; Monica, who apparently has taken up permanent residence in storyline Siberia; and Tracy, who is absolutely wasted in her marriage to Luke. (I'm not including Jason, since it's obvious he doesn't want to be included anyway.) Short of bringing Stuart Damon's Alan back from the dead (and by the way, as cute as it is to see ghost-Alan as a representative of Tracy's conscience, that is a short-term idea which has worn out its' welcome), it's time for GH to reinvest in this fading dynasty. Dillon needs to come home (if not w/ Scott Clifton, then with someone else); and Ned, Jimmy Lee and Celia all need to be taken off the shelf, pronto. (Heck, I'll even take a back-from-the-dead A.J.!)

4) Enough with the newbies! I'm all for sowing the seeds for future generations of characters and families, but not if they come at the expense of older characters whom audiences clearly want to see more often, but can't. Of course, Monica and Jaclyn Zeman's Bobbie Spencer spring to mind, but what about Lesley Webber, or Gail and Lee Baldwin? People tune into TV shows, in general, because they want to see what's familiar. In many cases, viewers have fostered a sort of relationship with these made-up folks, and they want to know that no matter how crazy their real world has become, their make-believe worlds are still very much intact. Instead of coming up with more out-of-nowhere crazies for Sonny, Jason and Carly to come up against, how about taking some characters who aren't used very often, and having them interact with some who are?

5) Remember the hospital. It is called GENERAL HOSPITAL. Don't you think at least 90 percent of the show should revolve around it? (And no, sending the latest casualties from Port Charles' never-ending mob wars there doesn't cut it.) If I wanted to watch "The Godfather," or even reruns of "The Sopranos," I would. But, when I tune in everyday to watch GH, that's what I want to see. Period.

• Members

Less Mob, more Hospital.

If there must be Mob, show it as it really is, none of this "honourable mobster" garbage.

And LESS Steve Burton

Less Spinelli

I gave up on GH ages ago so that's all I can come up with.

• Members

No, Steve Burton is not a great actor, nor is Jason Morgan the shows greatest character. If you want evidence of that go back and look at GH in the 80s and early 90s when it was good.

GH is totally unwatchable.

I have to say that I like the OP's top 10...even #9 because knowing Jackie Zeman she'd make it work. In fact, if a new writer wanted to stick it to Frons, Bobbie could say something like this to Luke upon being exposed as a hooker: "A woman likes to feel appreciated, underneath all these years is someone with ideas and feelings. I wanted to feel somthing, I wanted to DO something. Just because I've got a few years on me doesn't make me extinct dammit!"

Archived