October 8-12, 2007

Toups

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From ABC's press release:

Daytime Rank: Total Viewers Women 18-49 (Rtg/000s)

No. 1 CBS 4.04 million No. 1 ABC 1.4/947,000

No. 2 ABC 3.11 million No. 2 CBS 1.3/835,000

No. 3 NBC 2.39 million No. 3 NBC 1.1/746,000

Top 5 Daytime Programs in Women 18-49 (rank based on rating) – Week of October 8-12, 2007

The Young & the Restless CBS 1.8/1.16 million

General Hospital ABC 1.6/1.07 million

One Life to Live ABC 1.5/965,000

The View ABC 1.4/905,000

Bold & The Beautiful CBS 1.3/865,000

All My Children ABC 1.3/854,000

(Looks like no change, except The View is up 0.1...and since NBC averaged a 1.1, and they only have one show now, DAYS had a 1.1 again)

• Members

Watching the weekly lament of the falling ratings reminds me of the similar situation that befell the American comic book industry. To show a comparison, back in its heyday something like Superman during WW2 sold a million copies a month and today is happy to sell 80,000. And that happened across the board and the reasons were similar to the soap situation: they continued selling their product even though the audience was no longer able to be found where they used to be.

But the comic book people eventually in the last 10 years made a change and packaged their products as "graphic novels" and put them in Borders, Amazon, B&N, and so on and sales in those venues have exploded in recent years.

Soaps I think have a parallel dilemma. It won't matter what DOOL or any of the other soaps put on their program, there is only basically 2-3 million people and falling available per soap except for Y&R which has 5 million--as long as soaps run in the daytime while no one is home to watch them.

Until the networks, sony and P&G, Corday and all the other players realize their business model no longer makes sense the ratings and soaps will continue to decline. I wish we could get a look at Passion's ratings and it would be wonderful to know about iTunes download and NBC streaming data, but that doesn't seem to be available for analysis. Soaps won't go away because there will eventually be someone who can figure out how to package them successfully. But the tunnel vision folks at the networks and P&G are obviously not the people who will ride in like the cavalry and show how to make it all work.

• Members

I just averaged the four CBS shows Total Viewers of last week by 4. The numbers were lower for last weeks ratings. I did the same for ABC but divided the total viewers by 3. And I believe it was higher. I dont have the sheet with me.

• Members

While Hogan/Kelly alienated Days' core audience for the entire year, I think the timeslot changes were the final nail in Days' coffin, ratings-wise. Days has yet to recover from the changes that took place over a month ago, it probably never will.

I'm surprised to see ATWT at #3, well not really, but still. I do expect GH to own #3 for November sweeps though, since they're pulling another elaborate stunt.

OLTL should be higher, I'm glad to see GL at a 2.0 in HH, even if the show leaves a lot to be desired.

Days gained 51,000 viewers from a week ago, can it build on that? The realist in me says not likely, but any rise in viewers is good at this point.

Archived