October 8-12, 2007

Toups

• Members

RE: ATWT

This is great news for Luke/Noah's story. Honestly, the two stories that are causing the ratings to rise are the Luke/Noah and Carly/Jack/Katie stories. If they continue to showcase these two stories heavily, the ratings could rise even more. Tuesday would have been lower, but I think viewers tuned in to see if Luke/Noah were on and tuned out when they realized they weren't airing. Plus, the CarJack/Jatie story was on so the drop wasn't that drastic.

The Paul/Rosanna/Craig/Meg story isn't working. TPTB need to accept this and drop it. They were featured heavily before and the ratings didn't boost the way it did last week. Just look at the turnout when they were hardly featured. Plus, the buzz on the boards are mostly about Luke/Noah and Carly/Jack/Katie. There's hardly any for the quad story.

If TPTB play it smart, they should feature these two stories more to dig themselves out of the gutter. It also seems they put more time into writing these two stories than the rest of the show. It's very interesting.

The bad thing about this is with ratings this high, there's lesser chance JP will be replaced.

RE: Days

I agree with the poster who stated lost viewers aren't tuning back into Days. Yeah. I think once a viewer hands in the towel, it's going to take an arm and a leg to get him/her back. The sad thing is I think ATWT & OLTL are stealing the viewers from Days. At this point, I don't know what will save Days. I think it had a better chance at the 1 pm time slot. Well, all I can do is hope for the best for this soap. It has a good HW and Co-EP in charge.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to explain it clearly enough because it's quite convoluted! You've encouraged me now, so:

HH means households. If a household has six people watching a show it counts as six total viewers and one household. The household number is considered "best" in that it is considered more accurate (see my previous post above which explains why total viewers is much more of a guesstimate).

The numbers are rounded when presented daily but not rounded when figuring out the weekly rating. For example ATWT could have gotten Monday through Friday a 2.45, 2.25, 2.35, 2.35 and 2.15 all which round up (2.5, 2.3, 2.4, 2.4 and 2.2). But if you add them up for the weekly rating you get 2.31 which rounds to 2.3. Again see my explanation above about how HH and total viewer ratings don't really relate. You gave an example comparing ATWT and OLTL being tied in HH but ATWT had more viewers which has to do with the numbers of viewers watching (supposedly :::snicker::: ) in each household. An even crazier example is if you look at the dailies for ATWT on Thursday and Friday - there was a .2 rating difference (based on household) but the difference in viewers was only 25,000 people!

• Members

I just have to add I love the fact that ATWT is rising while show casing a gay couple, while ABCD is remaining rather stagnant even though it has none on the canvas currently and has'nt for awhile. I guess its my bitterness over BARF still showing through. Congrats to ATWT for at least apparently (since I am not watching) having the guts not to run from a still contraversal issue. From what I've read and watched though its hard not to want a sweetheart like Luke to have a lifelove. Its illustrates how if the audience cares for a character they are willing to accept alot.

• Members

Agreed. Look at the long and painful death that Another World experienced.

BTW...many of us remember 2:00 pm as DOOL's original start time. As a matter of fact, NBC for years had the latest schedule for its soaps (2:00 Days of our Lives; 2:30 The Doctors; 3:00 Another World; 3:30 game show; 4:00 Somerset).

• Members

Well, it's complicated. In my local market, it remains at 1 pm ET, where it was. So, I think this is affiliate choice.

Why would the affiliates choose this? Timeslot consolidation, I think.

Most have local news at 12 pm. This lets them hang on to that audience till 2 pm. I'd like to know what they are screening here. I assume that many have extended the local news...which is a low cost "re-purposing" that usually brings okay ratings and pure local advertising revenuie.

Then, from 3-8 pm (ET) they own the time again...pure local advertising revenue.

You can see why the network would go along with this. Right now, anything they program loses money. And their affiliates are actually HAPPIER to program that time themselves.

• Members

Very nice. It puts the recent tick-up in perspective. Nice (and a very different trend from what we see for DOOL in your next post), but it still shows that Nuke has only slightly put a dent in the massive attrition of the last two years. ANY dent is a good thing--so I'm not knocking this. I'm delighted ATWT is making hay, especially with this story. But the hay is small :-).

Moreover, given near-universal revulsion about the REST of the show, it seems that the viewers drawn by Nuke may not be able to hold their noses and sit through the rest of it. That's the kiss of death.

As for your next picture...poor DOOL. The only word that describes the trajectory is hemhorage. It looks even worse if you look at the full 40+year history of that show's ratings. It's just AWFUL.

It seems certain that Days is our next casualty, and that NBC will finally be soap-free...something that will make many of their stakeholders happy.

Sylph, I love these 3-d, one-soap-at-a-time pictures. Don't suppose you could put them up for all the shows, eh?

Archived