October 8-12, 2007

Toups

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand where you're coming from JP, but maybe with better writing and production, fans would return to the genre. Right now, the people writing are perfectly content with writing half-assed, agenda based lack luster writing. For the sake of the genre improving, we need changes to happen. And for that to happen, things have to get bad...worse even before they improve.

• Members

Really curious about what you mean re "agenda-based" writing. Could you clarify that for me?

Also, at this point on the history of soaps, it seems like the answers to dropping ratings are routinely LARGE budget cuts, rather than seeking out new perspectives and talent. New talent isn't always given a chance to flourish, due to budgetary constraints. Writers get fired and not replaced, to save money.

• Members

I agree with Ryan. If these recycle writers & the people who hire them don't care about the genre surviving because they are writing the same bull over and over why should I wish they survive. I been soap free ever since May.

Changes needs to be made to improve the genre.

• Members

I get what you are saying there Ryan, but look at DAYS they lost tons of viewers, and they got there new head writer, but the viewers have not returned infact more even left, look at AMC fans got rid of McT and the ratings are even lower now then they were then. I guess my point is that just making a change is not going to bring the viewers back, once they are gone they are gone, at least going by these examples.

I will say GH is different because they have a fanbase that comes and goes with what is being seen it can go from 2.4-3.2 depending on what is on, so what you are saying might work for GH, but these other shows it seems once the viewers leave they don't return. That's why I don't hope bad ratings on any soap, I hate JP with a passion on ATWT, but I still want the ratings higher so the show can stay on the air, I just hope at some point the fans that are watching will make there point known to CBS that they want her gone, and someday she will be, but I don't want to see low ratings for it to happen.

• Members

"Agenda based" writing is pretty self-explanatory. It means you write with an agenda. Meaning, instead of writing a story from various points of view, you write a story one way because you want to tell the audience who to root for and who to not root for. Meaning, you write to purposely upset and infuriate viewers because you want them to see things from your point and view only.

Meaning, even though Sonny & Jason are mobsters and shouldn't be rooted for, they're mobsters with a "heart of gold" and mob for the "betterment of society" and they're the sole ones who can clean up "crime" in Port Charles.

Meaning instead of people turning to those who have sworn to protect and serve, you have them turn to the mobsters. Meaning you have all the youngsters walking around with hero worship for a contract killer.

Meaning when you write people having an affair, you don't just do it have them feel bad afterwards. You have the wife, who has cancer, walk in and see her daughter and her husband going at it on the floor. You have the ex-boyfriend watch from the window outside. Then you have another wife walk in not once, but twice to see her husband and his whore at the time having sex/getting ready to in their own home. Why would you do that? Because you want two people to be together, and felt the need to destroy three couple in order to do it.

Meaning you write a story where the a husband sleeps with his kidnapper to protect his bitch of a wife and her evil children so they won't die, and instead of the wife worrying about her husband and feeling bad for what he had to go through, she accuses him of having an affair, and tells her cousin and best friend, who laughs at the idea of a male rape and blasts the man for having an affair.

.....examples of agenda based writing

<_<

• Members

After seeing the ups and downs of soaps for 20 some years now, I feel the downs are harder to recover from. Cable, spoilers, etc...have given options to bad writing. If soaps disappear, they have not the fans, but themselves to blame.

• Members

I think it's disgusting. Those actors that are only used as backdrops and glorified extras deserve so much better. Maybe if the writers balanced out the top 20 with those veterans who are rarely seen, things would be a little different.

They miss out on so many excellent story opportunities because of their inability to write for and showcase the actors who have proven a long time ago they can handle the material. Does Bobbie even know Jerry is back in town? Does Monica know Michael is sad because his nanny aka his real mommy is dead? There is so many missed stories and little by little, vets disappear from the canvas. Soon, we won't even be able to claim vets aren't being used, because the longtime vets, pre-mob era will be gone!

The show is called "General Hospital" for a reason. Maybe if they showcased the hospital and hospital characters the way they're supposed to be showcased, people wouldn't flip out when they're on.

A few weeks ago, I remember fans on one board went into a tizzy because none of the mob story was on, it was all Hospital characters and NS characters. Damn near threw a fit.

Hell, if they don't wanna show Bobbie or Monica on the regular GH, why not have them anchor the second Season of Night Shift as the Senior Staff? Instead of characters who in the long-term will be forgotten in 3 or 4 years.

And no problem buttoneer.

Archived