• Members

Hmmmm

let's see:

GUIDING LIGHT Writers: D+

ALL MY CHILDREN: D+

ROBERT GUZA JR.: C-

JEAN PASSANANTE: C+

DAYS OF OUR LIVES: C+

THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS (even with how it is, much better than others IMO): B-

THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL: A+ (corrected it)

ONE LIFE TO LIVE: A+ (Honestly, it's in such a good state)

• Members

Of the Shows I watch

Lynn Marie Latham- F, killing off day players is not drama, Lynnie.

Brad Bell...er Kay Alden - C, Katie Logan has been a nice addition but serioulsy keep Donna away from Eric, and the reveal of Stephanie being involved in Brooke's rape was pathetic

B&E -D, the show is boring and revolves around 3 characters, Zach, Kendall, and Greenlee. They seem to have forgotten that Erica/Susan Lucci is the real star of the show, also can we have more than 2 stories, puhleezee.

Ron Cavalarti - B+, he has used Catherine Hickland, which is a huge positive and has woven many different characters into one very good storyline, the Tommy storyline.

Guza-D-, seriously Leticia is the big murder victim we've all been waiting for, someone we barely ever saw or cared about and not to mention that she was mourned more than Alan. And this whole stupid mob war is superfolous and such a retread. And now Nik has lost it, come on!

• Members

AMC: C-

They were off to a wonderful start! What happend?

ATWT: D+

The only thing going for this show is Noah/Luke/Maddie triangle! :D

B&B: A-

Excellent job! I am loving this show latley and its all because of the writing! :D

DAYS: D-

Yes, DAYS has been good for this past week but what will happen the next week?

GH: D+

Horrible!

GL: C-

Its just ok. <_<

OLTL: B

Excellent job! I am loving this show! This Tommy thingk is gripping

Y&R: D

• Members

Lynn Marie Latham D-. I can't give her an F because I think that's Ellen Weston level.... and she's not THAT bad. Still, she's completely turned this venerable show upside down, and it didn't need to be turned upside down.

Jean Passanante B-. I love how there are always multiple plots and sub-plots going on, and she generally keeps me entertained. However, she does repeat herself too much. Pick up the pace a little bit and drop the cliff and this could be an A.

Bradley Bell A+. The only writer on soaps that stays true to history and his show's core family.

• Members

AMC: D. The show has been a lot more balanced in September - 4 stories (Annie's past which includes Ryannie, Graidan and Bichie); J/A/J triangle; T/K/A-S triangle; and the baby drama ending onto the revenge stories Z/K wise) but B&E also do a bad job with balance. Clearly. I only gave them a grade as high as a D because they managed to pull 4 stories into the burner after 5-6 weeks of just doing one story, basically.

The shows I don't watch full-time:

OLTL: B-. It's improving but it still has a way to go.

GH: C. Some parts are kind of good. Some parts are pretty bad. So middle of the pack.

• Members

ATWT: C-I am enjoying the Carly and Luke storylines while everything else is snooze worthy

B&B: B- I am enjoying parts of the show more than others

GH: B-The Tracy and Alan scenes alone make the show enjoyable

GL: F-I cannot find one storyline that I like. The writing is predictable and stupid which is why I am hardly watching the trainwreck. :angry:

• Members

DAYS (Hogan Sheffer): Gah I don't know what to give the guy. Some days he's a strong B+ then other days he's a C- or D. I'll give him a B+ at the moment. His stories overall have great a premise, but they are executed badly. I don't where the problem lies, is it the team of writers? Does the show have a continuity writer? Pacing is bad also.

B+

GL (David Kreizman and Donna M. Swajeski):A big fat F is what I give Mr. Kreizman, an F! He destroys characters and at times his stories seem so darn contrived, but I digress. I'm going to do something different here and start with one thng that I do like, and then get into what I dislike mostly about DK. Here it is: I like Billy and Lizzie. Someone must have wrote this in while DK wasn't looking because ever since DK took over he has been dead set on characterizing each and every Spaulding as the scum of the earth, while his precious Coopers are the moral center for the whole entire show. It's this and a laundry list of more that has made me quit the show for good.

F-

OLTL (Ron Carvilati): It might seem a little premature but Ron is currently the best writer in charge of a soap these days. All the other seven HW's are a bunch of hacks with hefty paychecks. He's hitting all the right beats with all the stories, the show is running so smoothly these days.

A-

• Members

No, but the real story was the fallout and Stephanie getting her just desserts for it. In Susan Flannery's absence, Bell could have come up with much better than Eric bedding the woman who almost married his son not even a month earlier(when Eric and Donna never even shared the time of day prior to that). Plus, Brooke reverted to her inner cougar to chase Ridge, just after a rape! I give him a D.

• Members

I was watching "Dancing with the Stars" earlier, and thinking that the judges start the season grading everyone too high... which leaves no room to progress. The same goes here, to me, at least, where everyone seems way too harsh.

Any HW is juggling a bunch of stories at one time. Some stories start slow, then really pick up and become popular. Other stories start strong, and then fade. So what is this grade based upon?

I was thinking of basing the grade on the number of actors people keep mentioning should be Emmy worthy later this year. It's not perfect, but at least it's a concrete step. A lot of people have slammed GL in this page, but KZ, CC, GT and BE all are continually mentioned as possibilities for best actress (or supporting). Yeah, they are all pheonomal actresses... but aren't people noticing them because they have good material? KZ went years without a nomination. I believe it's not because her talent was off those years, but because she didn't have good enough writing to propel her forward.

There are so many factors to go into with this... so I'll just base it on who is making me want to tune in again:

OLTL: Wow. The episodes around Asa's death were to me, the entire reasons I watch soaps. It was like a death in the family. An actor I'd watched for 2 decades was gone. Other actors I'd also watched that long got to mourn him. Some actors from the passed came back to pay their respects. But the absolute best to me, was that they used this story to propel new story. I've known for many years that Erika Slezak takes off a month for vacation. But watching her get on that airplane to destinations unknown made me shake with excitement about what she'll be doing when she comes back. And I can't remember the last time I said that about a soap. (Also love the umbrella Tommy storyline.)

A.

DAYS - I was a big Hogan Sheffer fan during his first couple of ATWT years... and I have to say, it pains me to see his work belly flop so badly now. I'm blaming it on two things: 1) The budget limitations that severely hamstrung his first six months. 2) Betting the entire show on the payoff of the Brady-Dimera feud, which nobody seems to be interested in. I get the story, I understand why he thought it would be great... and still... yeah, not doing anything for me. Sorry, Hogan.

C-

Y&R - I've liked the cast on this show for so many years that it's hard to suddenly turn on them.... but my biggest complaint now is... who am I rooting for? Nick? Jack? Victor? Nikki? Victoria? Phyllis? Michael?

I don't find myself rooting for any of them. The only character that I still am gung ho about is Neil and he's... oh, right... he's not doing much of anything.

D.

GH - I find myself liking the unexpected things - like Lucky and Sam. Not a normal rooting for couple, but maybe that's why I find them interesting. And I agree with everyone else that it's hard to watch mobsters Sonny and Jason be held up like the moral centers of town. At least Luke has always known he'd never be that... so when he does something immoral or illegal, it can just be entertaining -- not uncomfortable, like when Mac is continually the bad guy... when he goes after the criminals.... (W-h-a-t?)

C.

GL - I find the budget crunch soaps are facing hurts this show the most. And no, not with the sets, which I know many hate. But when there is a wedding, or trial, and half the people who should be there... aren't... To me, that hurts the overall story. I watch soaps for the extended family. When a big event happens, I want to see the entire town present. I get why they are trying new couples... but I've lost sight of who I"m rooting for. The only two couples that seem to have heat are Reva and Jeffrey and Coop and Ashlee. I don't mind when couples are apart - like Reva and Josh --- but am I supposed to be rooting for a Josh and Reva reunion... or accept the new Josh and Cassie, and Reva and Jeffrey pariings.

B-.

B&B. Oy. The dialogue on this show has always been painful. Sometimes, there has been some superior acting that makes it rise above the occassion... but mostly, I find it awful. I know many are mesmerized by KKL's rape story. I haven't watched every day, but tuned in about 3 weeks after it happened and Brooke was smiling, like nothing every happened. That's my biggest complaint with this show. It is one big vacuum. Things happen, but rarely have any long term impact on a character. (This is a bad example currently -- but for many years, Erica Kane was shaped largely by her father deserting her.)

D.

AMC - I hate to kick something when it's down, but.... Let's just say I don't know that the new regime is making this show better. Less offensive, yes, but not entertaining. If I could give any note to any of the shows, it would be to this team. Study how OLTL is using history and involving multi-generational characters. And if they let you, bring Brooke back, and at least let us know Dixie isn't dead.

D

ATWT - So much potential... And so not being used. The Luke/Noah story seems to be resonating with people... but why does the dialogue sound like a preachy after school movie? Refer to the early days of Bianca on AMC. People didn't love her because they thought they should... they did it because of the actress and the stories. Also, don't rush certain things. Jack and Katie have a certain charm. They don't have to rush into marriage. Let us actually enjoy them enough so that by the time a REAL Carly threat comes into the picture... we're torn. (Refer to Sonny/Brenda/Jax on GH.) Carly, dying? Really? And the doctor told her after one appointment? Really? I know not everyone loved Reva getting cancer on GL, but at least that played out over time.

C

• Members

Hi all. New poster here, but not new to GL. I've been watching since the Roger/Holly rape story in the 70s. That's what got me hooked to it and have been watching ever since.

ICAM with these grades. EW/DK have run GL into the ground. I still watch, but it's painful. :angry:

Archived