Y&R: Kay and Jill

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

>> I agree though, Kay and Jill's mother/daughter BS needs to be undone and fast! I don't even really care how its done, really anything would be fine as long as they get back to hating each other again!

First of all, Y&R has to establish once and for all whether Cane is really Jill's son; because, to tell you the truth, I still have my doubts. I don't think anyone can undo the fact that Kay tried to switch the babies, BUT...does she know for certain that her efforts were successful? Who's to say someone who was close to the situation didn't realize what Kay was doing and switched them back?

(Where's Brock when you really need him?)

Undoing Jill-is-Kay's-daughter is virtually impossible, since I doubt Liz would've lied to Jill about that (nor would she have any reason to). So, I'm afraid to say, we're stuck with the two being related to each other. BUT, if we could 1) establish that Cane ISN'T Jill's son, 2) reveal that Cane has known this all along, and has used a phonied-up DNA test to worm his way into the Chancellor fortune, and 3) let Kay uncover all this before Jill can, then, this begs the question, what will Cane do about it? More importantly, how will he use that information to turn Kay and Jill against each other once more?

Two words: competency hearing.

• Members

>> That whole sperm storyline really damaged Alden's reputation, to this day, I think it's the one storyline her solo tenure as HW is most identified with.

But, you know, I've never blamed Kay Alden for that particular storyline. At the time, something about that whole, sordid tale screamed "network/Bradley Bell interference" to me.

• Members

>> Actually, it's VERY easy to undo. Liz just got A baby so she wouldn't have to be retconned into a liar.

So, Kay's long-lost daughter is still out there? For some reason, I'm not keen on that idea. I think it's because I'm scared it'll turn out to be Nikki, which is just...ugh, I couldn't even begin to digest that.

>> She had a tremendous EB/Victor crush, much like LML's with DD/Brad.

Wait, isn't Brad the one going around town, telling everyone's business? Man. If that's a crush, I'd hate to see what happens when LML hates someone.

Oops, nevermind. I just remembered what happened to Dru. ;)

• Members

If TPTB ever choose to undo the retcon, then yeah.

THAT is the precisely idea TPTB should've utilized to begin with if they felt they absolutely had to do the idea at all. It would've been an perfectly acceptable retcon.

Examples: Douglas, Sherwood, Davidson, Rowell, Leon, Steinberg, Shackelford & Walton.

• Members

Thanks, Y&RWorldTurner, for the clarification, lol.

I wish to God LML would send the Paul/Maggie lust-thing to cheesy primetime cop shows where it belongs. You may have adored Tammy Lauren on your old show, "Homefront," Ms. Latham, but trust me, she wasn't the be-all and end-all.

• Members

I don't really know if LML actually hates Jess Walton or if she's just a lazy, unimaginative hack who doesn't realize how talented Walton is? I distinctly remember the last time Jess signed a new contract she was planning to quit because of how backburned she'd become in the last couple of years but it was LML who begged her to stay...that could just be all rumor BS that some blogger cooked up or it could be fact. I don't know at this point but I will agree that LML's treatment of Ms Walton has been pathetic.

Back to undoing the Kay/Jill mother/daughter bond I actually think its easy: Liz Foster did adopt a baby, the baby was Jill...Kay's daughter remains a mystery (although if I wrote it she'd have died as a child) and Charlotte cooked up the Kay/Jill relationship to get back at Kay (remember when Charlotte was in town she and Kay did not have kind words for each other).

• Members

Jess Walton said in an interview before the Phillip story began she was definitely leaving. All last year LML kept promising her a story, but nothing happened (plus all the Jack Smith stuff) so she was going. Then LML begged her to stay so she did, with the promise of this Phillip story. We all see how it worked out...

I think she probably felt forced to write for Walton. Firing her would definitely piss off Jeanne Cooper (and end any chance for screentime), Peter Bergman and probably all the other long term cast members. Not to mention the soap press. I see with a lot of actors LML will throw them a bone, but isn't interested in giving them a real storyline.

As for the Kay/Jill thing, I could handle the mother/daughter twist if the fallout were better. They can STILL dislike each other. There are people who've grown up with their parents and have a worse relationship. After all the history changing LML has done, I'd leave it alone. I'll settle for the characters being written true to form in storylines deserving of their talents.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Sep 7 2007, 11:26 AM)
Jess Walton said in an interview before the Phillip story began she was definitely leaving. All last year LML kept promising her a story, but nothing happened (plus all the Jack Smith stuff) so she was going. Then LML begged her to stay so she did, with the promise of this Phillip story. We all see how it worked out...

I think she probably felt forced to write for Walton. Firing her would definitely piss off Jeanne Cooper (and end any chance for screentime), Peter Bergman and probably all the other long term cast members. Not to mention the soap press. I see with a lot of actors LML will throw them a bone, but isn't interested in giving them a real storyline.

As for the Kay/Jill thing, I could handle the mother/daughter twist if the fallout were better. They can STILL dislike each other. There are people who've grown up with their parents and have a worse relationship. After all the history changing LML has done, I'd leave it alone. I'll settle for the characters being written true to form in storylines deserving of their talents.

Smith really dealt a blow to one of daytime best characters, Jill Abbott. I think LML (not the only HW who's forced into writing a story or two) came up with a SL for Walton in July 2006, a few months after she was planning on quitting. There are some that feel that Cane is not Jill biological son. I'm on the fence b/c LML is known for changing the course of SL (making it up as she goes)/dropping SL. If you don't want Jill mother to be Katherine, then who should it be? Elizabeth? BTW: Was Elizabeth cured of her caner/tumor?

LML may or may not be a lot of things, but I really doubt that she would fire Walton. Plus, I doubt she cares about the opinions of the soap press. She already has SONY signing her paycheck. Expect to see a lot of Jill & Katherine in the coming months. Long time coming, huh?

Remember, LML is a "clever" woman. She has her own reasoning for doing things. She killed off John to send a "message" that a new sheriff's in town. LML MUST research Y&R's history regularly b/c she IS a very capable writer. Case in point: Knots Landing, Homefront & first year on Y&R. She's become lazy (resting on her laurels)/tired.

There were some reports at this year's Daytime Emmys that she lost a significant amount of weight. Is that true? If so, is LML ill? We must pray to Yahweh to help out LML. Case in point: Knots Landing, Homefront & first year on Y&R.

• Members

That's the thing, I don't think LML can handle the scheduling and grueling pace a of a daytime drama. She comes from the world of primetime, where you only produce up to 24 episodes a season, that's a huge departure. I would have no problem if LML were a consulting producer on Y&R or a storyline consultant, but they've given her too much power and being both the show's head writer and executive producer has got to take a toll on her health, stress level, and personal life. She's truly burnt out, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if she left Y&R on her own accord in a year or so from now. She's known for leaving shows a year or two into her tenure also.

Archived