Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

None of this, none of this needed to happen.

Everyone who participated in this debacle should be isolating for two weeks, I don't care whether the test originally said negative.  There is some confusion as to whether Thiem had an actual COVID-19 test or an antibodies test, he needed to be self-isolating too.

Again, none of these folks were treating COVID-19 patients. None are essential workers. This was totally avoidable.

• Members

First off is Novak for real? His statement is full of sh!t. This guy still doesn't get it. This tour was all about him and his ego and nothing more.

Second, I heard Thiem was tested a third and tested negative. I still think he should isolate too. He is still in France where he suppose to play this weekend in the UTS showdown.

• Members

From the beginning, I've always made an effort to judge people, including public figures on their actions.  I said in the beginning that I wasn't a fan of Novak's because of some things that he did earlier in his career, namely mind games and gamesmanship tricks that he played with certain opponents (*coughs* Monfils) that stretch back to a long time (which he has admitted to).  I've also said that he earned a kind of respect from me because of his work ethic and willingness to 'plug' weaknesses in his game, even if it included great sacrifice. There seems to be a deficiency of character that he has yet to shore up.  That's just how I see it.

If this were an accident or a mistake, I would definitely think differently of Djokovic and everyone involved.  This was not a mistake, this was willful, reckless action taken, throwing caution to the wind, without a thought to who might get hurt.

Honestly, I wish these players well but I really am not going to waste time worrying about them.  They have money and resources.  My concern is the ball kids who may be at risk, who may live with a family member who is especially vulnerable and may not have the resources that these players have.  Serbia is one of the poorest countries in Europe.  While Croatia has a stronger economy, it is far from the wealthiest country in Europe. What if one of the the ballkids live in multi-generational homes?  What would become of grandmother and grandfather? Or a parent with underlying health problems?  Did anyone think of this when they decided to throw a big Kid's Day?

Since the beginning of this pandemic, I've said that COVID-19 is a virus that is generally spread from rich to poor.  I just hope this doesn't pan out to be the case here, because it could be the beginnings of a disaster.  I just don't think many tennis fans and pundits think about it this way but I haven't been able to stop thinking about this.  This, and the fact that this whole mess was avoidable, is what makes me angriest.

I will say this...someone who has experienced a family member, friend or loved one struggle with this, or someone who personally knows someone who has died from COVID-19 likely sees this in a totally different light.  In that case, it really becomes as stark as life or death. 

Edited by DramatistDreamer