Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I watched the match and am so happy with this result. Donald Young is just about the only Donald I can root for these days.

Not only that but he beat a Trumpist, so that's the cherry on top of the sundae.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Me too.

Donald Young had to face Reilly Opelka earlier in the week, so in a way, I think that sort of prepared DY to face Isner, since Opelka is almost 7ft and has a similar game (although slightly better mover) to Isner. DY was prepared for that ball trajectory coming off Isner's serve because he got plenty of practice from the match with Opelka. 

DY seemed especially determined in that first, then 3rd set. He seemed to have lost a little focus in the 2nd set but doubled down on the intensity in the third.

I believe DY got over that barrier with Isner and has chipped away at any intimidation factor Isner once had (at least I hope). He's now developed his own personal blueprint for beating Isner.

Someone mentioned that DY looks bigger, like he's built more arm strength- this may have well have made the difference.

• Members

Did you also catch Stevie Johnson get bageled by Kukushin, of all people? Love seeing these entitled, overgrown  frat boys go down. 

DY has put up with so much bullish!t from American tennis that I can't help but root for him. I recall Jim Courier trying to "son" Donald on air, and I realized how much condescension and disdain Donald must endure.

With DY winning, Goffin beating Dimitrov in Rotterdam, and Tsonga eclipsing Cilic, it was a good day for the sport.

• Members

@Faulkner I did not catch Johnson's match but I heard that he had gotten into some nasty exchanges on social media with the gamblers who were angry with him for losing.

I also heard people complaining that they think he lost too much weight? I haven't really watched him in awhile so I'll have to be on the lookout for that.

The dust-up between DY and the USTA illustrated some of the things DY went through in American tennis. Most people thought it was just Young but were soon forced to look at his situation differently after they had little to no success for several years and had other 'fallings out' with other American players. I'm convinced that this was one of the reasons why they ended up having to totally revamp their entire system.

Is Courier still the U.S. Davis Cup Captain?  It will be interesting in DY begins to ascend again in his play and ranking and Courier is forced to seriously consider Young for a main singles spot on the team (even doubles since the Bryan Brothers have essentially retired from Davis Cup these days).

Even though Grigor's been playing well lately, Goffin's results do not surprise me since he's been consistently playing well for almost a year now and seems pretty confident these days. 

Yes, I was glad that Tsonga FINALLY got a win over Cilic. Most of the times I've seen them play, something always went terribly wrong for Tsonga (usually losing a relatively close first set and then a 2nd set collapse), so Tsonga winning that first set was so good for his confidence and fortunately he was mostly able to keep the focus going in that second set.

Some promising results on the ATP side yesterday.

On the women's side, I didn't even try to follow since I read there were a bunch of rain delays and the schedule was a mess. Funny to get that much rain in the desert of Doha.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Tennis Observations for the past week....

1. Dimitrov > Goffin....so many haters....

2. So is Tsonga trying to swat a fly or hit a forehand. Yeah, I have never cared for his game. Him winning last week.....eh...moving on

3. Donald Young...knew he wouldn't win the tournament.

4. Stevie Johnson....LMAO....the guy is one horrible tennis player and it showed this weekend. The twitter war with tennis fans was priceless.

Tennis viewer twit: absolutely awful today...you should really be ashamed!!

Stevie Johnson response: Haha at least I don't hurl insults behind a keyboard from my mom's basement. Get a life

Tennis viewer 2 : I think you should be a duck master, bed warmer or a paint drying watcher.

Stevie Johnson response: All good options. I think "paint drying watcher" is my true calling.

5. The bozo that is Justin Gimelstob saying that tennis fans don't deserve an opinion about a tennis player's game. Really? Without tennis fans the sport wouldn't exist bozo! Justin is full of sh!t!

6. Boo to Tennis Channel for calling tennis fans trolls.

7. Paul Annacone for telling it like it is. Stevie Johnson should not have gotten on twitter media after loss.

8. Ryan Harrison won....it's not a biggie folks. Relax....this is a tournament that is played by American rejects and this year it was even easier to win with Kei not in the draw. I am sure Kei losing in the finals in another tournament wishes he had played Memphis again.

9. Brett Haber pimping American male tennis players in Memphis again(how so many were in the top 100) to which Jimmy Arias replied some shade......it's not looking good for the future of American tennis....

10. Dogoplov actually won again?? I thought he had disappeared....LOL

11. Berdych disappointing again in the semis but I am so over him and glad he has now dropped to a new low #14.  I am sure he doesn't give a damn since he is too busy going on skiing trips with his wife and giving Roger the tour of his home town.

12. Glad Dimitrov decided to take a week off. He realized he was burned out. Too much tennis.

13. Goffin in his runner-up speech thanked his many girlfriends which he quickly changed to girlfriend...yikes.....LOL. I am sure with his adorable looks he has more than one but now its out of the bag....LOL

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/a/34453061/tennis-star-david-goffin-thanks-girlfriends-in-awkward-interview-gaffe/#page1  

I think I covered it all for this past week. There was a lot....LOL