Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's too bad, if true. Boris has a chance to take on a young German prospect with a lot of talent and room for growth and make an impact. I would've thought that Sascha would be just the type of pupil that Boris would love to take on- young, lean and hungry (okay, maybe the hunger is still a ??) but how much $$$$ does he need? 

I wonder if the request were coming from the German Tennis Federation (with the possibility of additional support, perks, etc), would Boris accept?

I realize that having coached the #1 player in the world, perhaps he's used to a certain rate and probably doesn't want to come down from that rate but this is a chance for Boris to give back to his country (even though I realize he's had a complicated relationship with Germany) and be seen in maybe a more positive light at home?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Sounds like Boris may still be sore about Sascha's Davis Cup performance last weekend. He was there watching as Belgium nearly swept Germany 4-1.

I know a lot of Germans were stunned by that and even though Belgium were former finalists for the Cup, David Goffin wasn't even there so many tipped Germany to win that tie. I guess Steve Darcis and company had other ideas. Darcis has always been an inconsistent talent but I was shocked to see Philipp Kohlschreiber go down like that in the first singles rubber and then Mischa and Sacha lost in doubles to two guys I'd never heard of before. It was a mess. Then in the reverse singles, I think Sascha's youth and inexperience worked against him as he seemed unable to get over the nerves.

I think Sascha at 19 could be forgiven for kind of buckling under the weight of the pressure of being expected to carry the team at such a young age. Boris was on the team that won West Germany's first ever Davis Cup and then they won again the next year. Boris who won Wimbledon at 17. Even by now Boris should realize that there are no more teen phenoms in tennis.

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/253212.aspx

• Members

Phillip Kohlschreiber's game has sure gone downhill. I've never cared for the Davis Cup though and even moreso now. The top players play it only when they give a damn to play it. I wonder why they haven't just squashed the Davis Cup. The USA vs Swiss was a joke. Still John looked completely lost against a no name player and could have lost....LOL. If Roger and Stan had played the USA team wouldn't have won or had a chance. I just had to LOL at how TC was pimping how great the USA team was.....please...rejects from Isner to Sock to Querrery to Johnson....a mess child as Florence would say....LOL

So Sasha losing doesn't bother me. He usually doesn't get up for the no name players.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

Davis Cup hasn't been scrapped for the simple fact that despite the fact that the schedule is a complete mess (why can't they just alternate each year with Fed Cup one year, Davis Cup the next??), the jubilant excitement that happened as the Argentine Davis Cup get its first title was something that you couldn't bottle and it was the main argument that people use to keep Davis Cup. Then the year before, all of Great Britain was exuberant when GB won after not winning since the 1960s (I think) and the year before that when the Swiss won the Cup there was a wellspring of exuberance for Federer fans seeing Roger and Stan win. If France wins this year...guess what? There will be a same explosion of exuberance, LOL.

With all that enthusiasm, it's highly unlikely that anyone will ever get rid of Davis Cup for the foreseeable future.

What they need to do is eliminate the annual competition and make it a biennal competition and just alternate with Fed Cup, that way the holders of the Cup get a full year to celebrate and hold onto the Cup instead of everyone forgetting who won the year before, as Marat Safin once joked.

Please register in order to view this content