All: If you could bring in new blood, who would it be?

• Members

It's been said many times that the soap industry needs new blood instead of recycling writers who have helmed other soaps. Well in your opinion who would you bring into the soap world? Anyone from the world of primetime?

Also it seems to be that some soaps don't go the route of recycling HWs, instead they promote from within when a script or breakdown writer is promoted to the position of Head Writer<cough>David Kreizman<cough>. Telling from past experience has this proven to a failed quick fix in the industry of soaps or is it a successful one???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, look how well Lynn Marie Latham turned out, who is primarily a primetime writer........NOT

To be honest, just because you write primetime, that doesn't automatically make you suitable for a soap, us Y&R fans have had to learn that the hard way for the past year.

Anyway, I've always thought Winnie Holzman, creator/writer of My So Called Life, Once and Again, and thirtysomething would be great in the soap world. She always manages to write shows that are multi-generational, realistic, funny, entertaining, and dramatic. It's a shame she isn't doing anything on television at the moment.

• Members

Totally agree. The Thirtysomething/Relativity/O&A crew would be great for AMC. They could turn it into a multi-generational, zeigtesty topical show where characters have meaningful conversations and social relevancy is key. Imagine that.

• Members

It would be great if a writer WHO KNEW AND LOVED the soaps took the gig.

Am I correct in thinking that the work load,the money offered,the 'prestige factor' and the restrictions placed on storytelling would be off putting for most prime time writers?

Unlike actors,many of whom go on to primetime,there doesn't seem to be any daytime writers who go onto nightime gigs.

I also think that it might be interesting if authors could be attracted to be part of a writing team -maybe some who write in the 'romantic suspense 'genre and could weave a plot using characters on the canvas and maybe a few short term additions.

I say this because some of the mystery plots on soaps start strong but don't build suspense and come to climaxes that have some ongoing repercussions.

Henry Slesar ,who wrote Edge of Night was a mystery author and Michael Malone (OLTL)also found success on soaps.

• Members

It's funny but I remember that I always thought Lynn Marie Latham would do well for daytime too,LOL.

I agree with you Michael about Peter Dunne. There was another writer at KL by the name of Joel J Feigenbaum (I think I have it right).I always liked his work.

On The Waltons,many of the big stories and those special two hour shows were written by John McGreevey. I always thought he'd be good for ATWT. Joanna Lee was a good writer for The Waltons who went to produce Search for Tomorrow and was not well liked.

• Members

LML made me dubious of primetimers hitting daytime, to say the least.

I'm all for playwrights to write for daytime again. Weren't some of past headwriters from theatre - especially on AW?

You need someone like Jon Robin Baitz, Greg Berlanti or basically ANYONE from Once& Again who also loves the program their writing for though. The latter is often reason why in-house-promotion is often the best choice. But with that I don't mean headwriter recycling like Megan McTavish writing for basically every soap on the air etc. but real grooming of a next generation of writers with show ties but also new ideas for stories...

Archived