Days:CDN TV Guide spoilers for wk of 6/18

• Members

LOL. I did actually bit my tongue. Im just worried that Deidre Halls salary demands may be the reason to why we will not see her being featured very much in future. I do like the character of Marlena Evans, and I would like for her to be on frontburner for several more years. I dont think she is the absolutely greatest actress ever, but you do have a point that she hasnt been given much good material either throughout some the years. And I have to agree that she indeed did wonders for DAYS during 1992-1997,2003-2004. I just hope Deidre would consider taking a paycut so that Corday can afford to use her more.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK. I admit it. Marlena was actually one of the reasons to why I began following DAYS in the first place. And if she has taken a paycut and still isnt being used enough, then it proves Hogan Sheffer simply doesnt like to write for her. Sheffer wants Samantha Brady to take over and lead the show.

• Members

Exactly.

Sorry Marlena fans. But Deidre Hall is 60. SIXTY. Which means she can't have babies in real life and is grandma age. Her most recent pregnancy/Alex North storyline was absolutely craptastic. I am fine with her being backburnered and letting Bope and EJami take the lead on the Brady-Dimera feud storyline. I don't want her gone, mind you. I like her complimenting things and interacting with Stefano every once in a while like the spoilers seem to indicate she will. But she does not deserve a huge, meaty storyline at the forefront of everything IMO.

• Members

I agree with those that don't have a problem with Hogan writing a lot for Belle and Sami. They are the future of this show, and yes, it's nice to have the vets, you need to start setting up your new generation of characters. Think about it. Bo and Hope became popular in the 80s, which would mean that Peter and Kristian were in their 20s/30s. Lucas, Belle, Sami, Shawn, Philip, etc. are at that age and need to start being looked at as prominent characters like John, Marlena, Bo and Hope.

• Members

Deidre Hall is 59, she's talented, healthy, happy, undeniably beautiful and wants to work. She can't have kids and never could, and could you be more offensive? No need to go into as personal an attack as this.

If anyone has DESERVED a meaty, huge, frontburner storyline after being dissed and cast aside only to be brought in when they need ratings desperately then thrown away when they go up because of it - it's her. Deidre, Drake, Peter and Kristian have EARNED their place on the show, and until they prefer not to be frontburner and until they do not want their place on the show, they need to be shown respect for working their asses off for 20-30 years, only gaining popularity through that time and IMO, being the reason the show is on the air still.

• Members

The problem is that the younger generation was never ushered in appropriately. Since the 90's, the just took over. But, the vets had major stories then, too, so no one really noticed or cared. Now that the vets aren't in stories, it's striking. It doens't matter if they are familiar from being born on-screen, this is the first time they're a viable character and they need to be introduced slowly, as any new character should be.

In the 80's, when Bo and Hope became popular the only ones who suffered were Doug and Julie, who never should have been backburnered. If they hadn't, they would have stayed on and had their own stories. Bo's parents were never frontburner (not talking Victor here). The only time they were was during Bo's patewrnity storyline! Victor is another story, because he was brought on as a villain, not as someone's parents. Same goes for Jo with Steve. She was frontburner in the 80's, because the show was allowed to tell multi-generational stories.

The likes of Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, etc. should never become completely backburnered. They are the face of the show. And yes, younger generations, for the show's longevity (for argument's sake) need to be brought in, but they shouldn't take over. The problem is the show became too dependent on certain characters and failed to write for the show's good as a whole. That's why this predicament currently exists.

Until this decade, no soap even attempted to not have multi-generational storylines. This is the problem. Soap execs are trying to create smaller casts and viewers are rebelling.

• Members

And while I agree with you that Dee, Drake, Peter and Kristian have earned their place on the show, that is not necessarily a good thing. We were just talking about this the other night. For the last 25 years, the show has been nothing but John/Roman, Marlena, Bo and Hope. Writers after writers focused everything on those four characters. They never took the time to truly put the show on any other characters. And because of this, the show hurts when the focus is not on the four of them. We see this happen every single years. It's like the fans are "trained" to watch the Fab 4 and when they're not on, no one watches.

Hogan has proved that he isn't like the writers of DAYS past. He likes to write for other characters rather than just the most popular ones. That's the way he writes and that is why many DAYS fans can't get into his writing. They're not used to the spotlight not being on Bo, Hope, John and Marlena for a long period of time.

• Members

Building for the future is important but it can only be accomplished from a position of strength. That's something Hogan did not have. He took over a show with an uncertain short-term status and which needed an immediate shot in the arm. A prudent strategy would have been to revolve his first 12-18 months around the core vets, inch the ratings up to 3.0 territory and THEN gradually phase them out. Instead, he gave 3 months of half-assed material to the big 4 and then abrubtly marginalised them in favor of the younger set. This happened while the show was perched preciously in the middle of the pack and in the mediocre 2.4-2.5 range. It was far too risky a strategy for a show in DAYS' position.

Before anyone brings up Corday's interference, I'm not just talking about airtime. Hogan's content has also fueled the perception that Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Victor, Kate etc. are merely props for the next generation. And he made this transition so quickly and dramatically that it was bound to alienate long-term fans and turn them against the "replacements". No soap should ever get the point where regular viewers are asking "is this DAYS?" and "who the hell are these people?"

Hogan got the timing and manner of his torch passing horribly wrong. Hopefully, it's not too late to clean up the mess.

• Members

It was not a personal attack. I know nothing of Deidre's real-life childbearing issues, but was just pointing out Marlena is about the same age as Deidre, isn't she? And almost no 59-year-olds can have kids, even ones with all the children the fictional character of Marlena Evans has, especially not without fertility drugs. I have really disliked the ridiculous pregnancies that the show gave Marlena and Hope the last couple years just to keep up these stupid triangles for their older couples. Marlena's for the idea that she was pregnant at all and Hope's was also somewhat suspect especially for how long it was and how she never showed until they were ready for her to give birth.

And more than that I HATED HATED HATED the Alex North storyline and Days trying to treat Marlena like she is still some ingenue damsel in distress when on the show she has a teenage grandson. If that ridiculous miscarriage-induced amnesia storyline is the best they can come up with for Marlena to have a storyline then I would rather her be backburnered and just hang on to my memories of better Marlena storylines. I don't want to see her kidnapped again by Stefano either, which is about the only thing I could see happening to get her more involved in the Brady-Dimera feud unless they meet to discuss Sami and EJ, which some people seem to firmly against, too, because they can't stand this storyline being centered on Sami.

Now mind you... I do not feel the same way about Bo and Hope. I am very glad they are frontburnered with this Brady-Dimera feud storyline.

That is my opinion. If it offends you that is your problem.

• Members

Drew, I disagree with you. Marlena has been backburnered for the most part of the last 10 years. John, Bo and Hope have been frontburner with the Princess Gina story and whatnot, but Marlena (and to a degree, Bo) was barely there during that storyline. She was either propping someone or she was with the kids offscreen, or at work, offscreen. Sami has been frontburner since the day she appeared, and IMO, she still can't carry this show. Maybe it's because she's a villianess, maybe it's something else, but IMO, she can't CARRY it like Marlena can, and like Hope can to a degree.

Marlena is in her early 50s, she was late 40s when she lost the baby.

Marlena has never been some random damsel in distress. She's saved herself and others many times, and I just don't see it as so black and white. Marlena doesn't have to be kidnapped by Stefano for this story to be intriguing. I'd love to see Marlena propositioned by Stefano that if she marries him, he will end the feud, he will let her family live in piece and have her ACCEPT. Eventually she can't stay away from John, and the cat & mouse game begins. It would be in character (Stefano worships Marlena, Marlena would do anything to protect her family), it would be new and it would be adventurous as Stefano finds out about J&M and the reign of terror begins again.

Doesn't offend me, I just don't get why the personal attack came about.

Archived