Pushing Daisies: Discussion Thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pushing Daisies did great last night! :)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797331...yid=14&cs=1

'Daisies' pushes ABC to top

'Money,' 'Practice' help with ratings victory

By RICK KISSELL ABC's critically adored drama "Pushing Daisies" opened well Wednesday night, winning its hour in key demos and teaming with "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" to lift the net to victory. Wednesday also saw a rather steep 30% second-week decline for NBC's "Bionic Woman," and a roughly 25% dropoff for the same net's "Life."

According to preliminary Nielsen national estimates that include live viewing plus same-day DVR playback, "Pushing Daisies" averaged a 4.2 rating/12 share in adults 18-49 and 12.8 million viewers overall -- the strongest bow for any show premiering in the 8 o'clock hour this fall and the third best overall, behind just "Bionic Woman" and "Private Practice." It seemed to have an affect on other shows in the hour, as Fox's "Back to You" (2.4/7 in 18-49, 6.6 million viewers overall) and CBS' "Kid Nation" (2.4/7 in 18-49, 7.5 million viewers overall) slid further in their third weeks, while NBC's "Deal or No Deal" (2.8/8 in 18-49, 11.1 million viewers overall) was up a tick week to week.

In the crowded 9 o'clock hour, ABC's "Private Practice" (4.5/12 in 18-49, 12.3 million viewers overall) prevailed in key demos despite losing about 13% of its premiere week audience. That dropoff was nothing compared to NBC's "Bionic Woman" (4.0/10 in 18-49, 10.9 million viewers overall), which shed 30% of its opening-night demo ratings. Moving up a couple of ticks among young adults was CBS' "Criminal Minds" (3.7/9 in 18-49, 14.4 million viewers overall), which was the night's most-watched program overall.

And with all those big dramas going at it, Fox's "Kitchen Nightmares" emerged with week-to-week gains (2.9/7, 6.3 million viewers overall), while CW's young-skewing "Gossip Girl" (1.3/3 in 18-49, 2.8 million viewers overall) also was on the rise.

The 10 o'clock drama showdown went to CBS vet "CSI: NY" (3.9/10 in 18-49, 12.7 million viewers overall), reclaiming the hour in 18-49 one week after NBC's "Life" opened surprisingly strong. In its second try, "Life" slid to third place (3.0/8 in 18-49, 8.8 million viewers overall), while ABC's similarly new "Dirty Sexy Money" (3.6/10 in 18-49, 9.7 million viewers overall) held steady and moved up to second.

Despite NBC's drama declines from 9 to 11, it was the only network to show year-to-year increases for the night, rising 22% in adults 18-49 vs. a year ago when it aired "Biggest Loser" and drama "Kidnapped."

Preliminary 18-49 averages for the night: ABC, 4.1/11; CBS, 3.4/9; NBC, 3.3/9; Fox, 2.7/7; CW and Univision, 1.7/5.

In total viewers: ABC, 11.6 million; CBS, 11.6 million; NBC, 10.3 million; Fox, 6.3 million; Univision, 4.0 million; CW, 3.7 million.

• Members

I'm so enjoying this show! I don't expect it to last long, though, in spite of the praise and promising numbers. I've seen to many critically worshiped shows I love get canceled, and quirk and whimsey don't appeal to everyone.

My God I sound bitter, don't I? I guess there's no reason to be pessimistic yet. Anyway, episode two had some great moments. Olive hanging out of her apartment to spy on Ned through a compact comes to mind. I wasn't all that interested in the dandylion story, but I so love the tone of the show that I really don't care all that much what happens week to week.

• Members

I like the premise of this show. I watched it and enjoyed it, except I thought it was too schmaltzy between Pie Man and Chuck. Hopefully, they'll get off the romance part because I like the idea of waking them up, asking them the questions, then killing them again. I think the fact that they can't have a physical relationship is going to get old quickly.

• Members

It may, therefore I hope they do dream sequences where they do touch. I am loving the Ned and Chuck relationship...I loved the kiss and the hand holding.

I loved when Chuck and Emerson locked each other out of the car to talk to Ned

Also liked when Olive sung 'Hopelessly Devoted to You'

I am really loving this show

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I understand what you mean, but its just refreshing to see something original for once, rather than a CSI or Law and Order clone. It doesn't hurt either that the actors are top notch, the writing is sharp and visually, its absolutely beautiful. :)

• Members

Yah I can see both points. I'd actually have more interest in the show if I knew it was a show set to last one year where we'd get some sort of conclusion at the end of season one. I guess the writers will hopefully try to shake things up each year (if it lasts) but I think I'd go crazy thinking of seeing thesepeople stuck in the same or similar stages in their lives solving quirky crimes 40 eps from now...

(I wish the idea of a limited series wasn't seen as such a bad one by *AMerican* networks--and to be fair audiences. there are many great series concepts out there that really only need 22, 44 or maybe 13 eps to tell their story)

Archived