April 23-27, 2007

Toups

• Members

Someone finally speaks the truth! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. :blink:

Yeah, Days is in trouble but supposedly, so is GL. I'm amazed that no one is panicking over the fact that GL has surpassed Days two weeks in a row.

I also noticed how much ATWT has tanked in the ratings. Before it was around #4 and now, it's not that far ahead of GL.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, personally I haven't said anything about GL's "rise" to 7th place because they didn't rise at all. DAYS just fell more & more. It's sad to see GL hit a new all-time low. According to SOD's tallies in their latest issue, GL was at 1.9 and DAYS was at 1.8.

I sure wish GL could pull a large wad of money out of their hat the way DAYS has seemed to have done to bring back all these people this summer.

• Members

To those complaining that this always turns into a Days thread...

We're not stopping you from discussing your shows. It's not our fault that fans of other shows don't want to chime in about the ratings, and you can't expect us to make a comment on the ratings of OLTL or GL or any other show if we dont watch them enough to form an educated opinion or statement. If fans of the other shows want to discuss the ratings of their soaps, there's nobody stopping them from doing so. Are we Days fans supposed to stay silent just because everyone else does? The last time I checked, there was no limit on how many times you're allowed to mention any particular soap in the ratings thread.

• Members

What day was it on GL that Josh & Reva hit the sack? Last Friday or Monday this week? I can't stand Jeva, by any means, but I'm amazed that the ratings didn't soar considering how many have been whining about the Cassie/Josh pairing.

Nah..I'm not trying to attack any Days fans here. It's simply a glaring observation. There also just happens to be a disproportionate (sp?) number of Days fans on SON in general. There seems to be a lot of ATWT fans as well but they are soo quiet in regards to the topic of ratings. Why is that??? :blink: I've tried to bring up some GL discussion on these rating threads but unfortunately, few people around here seem to even watch the show.

• Members

I agree. I watch both DAYS and I have always watched GL since I was little with my mom so it is sad to see all of the soaps lose so much every week. It use to seem like GH got all of the attention but I guess DAYS has that honor. There's nothing wrong with talking about DAYS in the ratings threads, but there are 8 other shows stuggling to hold on to their viewers too and people sometimes forget that. I really do hope all the soaps rise, esp. GL because their sets are so cheap and horrible and they could use the extra money to make them look better. Whenever a day goes by and they don't use Main Street, I scream for joy! Despite the bad ratings, DAYS seems to still have some pretty good sets, like that nice bathroom at Tuscany!

• Members

I think it can be explained this way.

Given the following factors:

1.The cancellation of Passions and resultant speculation on Days' long-term future

2.The fact that Days' ratings have fallen suddenly, in substantial number in such a short time in contrast to the gradually falling numbers of other soaps

It's inevitable that what happens at Days is going to attract a lot of attention, even from those who don't watch the show regularly.

Furthermore, many are trying to come up with a definite explanation as to why Days' ratings took this sudden dive. ATWT fans on the other hand are well aware of the shortcomings present on their show at the moment, but also know the exact reason why- and in any case, the overall condition of ATWT is better than that of Days and is eminently recoverable provided a new writer replaces Passanante ASAP.

• Members

I guess everyone missed my point. I just do not understand why DOOL fans seem to call ALL OUT WAR on each other and get so nasty to each other ABOUT the ratings....thus turning this into a DOOL thread instead of a chat about daytime ratings in general.

Hope that clears up what I meant.

• Members

Well, in *that* case, I can say that it gets old when a fellow DOOL fan will bring up the Jeff Zucker (is that his name?) comment every week about how DAYS may not be renewed in 2009, and attributing *that* quote to DAYS' ratings decline, and not because of the quality of the show and the emphasis on the new characters. Thankfully, that idea hasn't been mentioned this week... yet :)

I guess it all depends on what group of fans congregate on any given message board. It's pretty clear that DAYS is a heavy hitter here on SON. Remember back during the Salem Serial Killer days? Oh, my. War after war, discussion after discussion, thread after thread. Not only is DAYS watched by many SONers, but DAYS fans like to DISH IT & DISCUSS. We don't sit back passively!

On other sites, I'm sure it's different. I don't really go to other sites, but I know that at the World of Soap Themes, CBS soaps are the most talked about shows, especially ATWT & GL. So it all depends on which message board you visit.

• Members

Well, I haven't once said anything bad about DAYS this week in the ratings thread.

I see where you are coming from Kwing, but DAYS has a very vocal fanbase here, as everyone knows. I mean, it's even surprising to me, as a former fan, how large the drop in viewers has been over the course of a few months.

It could happen to ANY show and we would all notice. A few months ago, a lot of the buzz in this thread was GL overtaking AMC in those small victories(I think it was even during a sweeps month).

I mean, when a show experiences that much of a drop in viewers, it's hard NOT to notice.

• Members
I don't mind all the Day's people talking about Days...I'm a fan of Days as well but 1st and foremost I'm an ATWT FAN! And I don't think they deserve the rating they're getting at all. I highly doubt if Craig were on 24/7 for 3 weeks straight that the show would magically climb in the ratings ladder. People were complaining about Meek (who played Craig btw) being on almost everyday. But now they all of sudden going to get excited to see more of Craig? Why because its Scott Bryce and hes as remnant of the so called "glory days"? I don't think hs fanbase is any bigger or stronger than JL's that its going to bring in more viewers and propel ATWT to ratings stardom.

• Members

I don't think anyone said that Scott Byrce needed to be on everyday, if you were referring to my comment, I meant that since he has been back he has been on once a week if that, and that is not right either he should be on 3 days a week just like the rest of the cast, which does not happen either, The only characters that get 3-5 days of airtime a week and has been for the last 3 months is Gwen and Will, and if you notice last year the ratings were swinging up towards 3.0 again until Gwen and Will were featured every single day for ages, my thing about characters being on everyday goes for any character, hell I would bitch if Luke was on five days a week and I love him, but it does not mean I want to see him everyday, and I don't think most ATWT fans want to see Gwen/Cleo every single day of the week, and not to mention that they are one during every scene pretty much. In the last two weeks Gwen and Cleo have been on Monday-Thursday with only Friday missing, yet Luke has not been seen during either week along with about 20 other cast members that is what is wrong with the show, no balance, and I don't understand how anyone can call 30 minutes or more of a show being Gwen and Cleo balanced, if I had a stopwatch and was using it trust me they would be 30 of the 44 minutes of any show they are on, I could handle Gwen and Cleo if they had the same airtime as everyone else but they don't and it never has been, even during the Adam crap Gwen and Will were on everyday, and we even had two shows that were all about Gwen, with no other characters but Maddie showing up, what other character ever gets that kind of treatment on this show. I am sorry but ratings will only continue to fall if this show only wants to feature on actress JL, other shows have done the same thing and there ratings also tanked, atleast those shows learned there lesson and stopped doing it, unlike ATWT which makes a new storyline for Gwen as soon as one ends, there is a thing called cycling in soaps and that means characters get backburnered for a while so other characters get airtime, since the day JL showed up she has never been backburnered. Luke has not had a story in 10 months I mean what balance is that. Heck half the cast has not had a story in 10 months and when they do they are wall paper to anything Will and Gwen, Jade can't even get a story without it being about Gwen, there was one day that Gwen was even in Emily's storyline, there is just way to much Gwen and fans that have been watching for 50 years don't care to see Gwen everyday, they want to see some of the characters they grew up with, I have only been watching for like 15 years and even I would rather watch Babs, Lucinda, Kim, Bob, Nancy, Susan, Margo, Tom than watch Gwen everyday doing the same stuff and having no storyline movement. ATWT is about Family Drama and lately there has been none, we barly even see family interaction, in the past during something like Casey's going to jail, his WHOLE family would have been there, that is something ATWT has ALWAYS done, ATWT of the past would have never had Casey's friends and just Margo and Tom there, they would have had the whole family there because it was a family drama storyline, which ATWT was always about, ATWT is not about what we see today, with no history ever being mentioned or history being forgotten daily. Heck we can't even see the character's houses anymore they all live at Emma's, which at one time Emma's kitchen meant something, now it is just a meeting place for everyone in Oakdale to talk about nothing, in the past year, I have seen more people in that kitchen that don't belong there than the people that do. Sorry but watching Gwen, Will, Brad, Katie, Jack is not what ATWT is about ATWT was not boring years ago now it is.

And to agree with the other poster above that said something about why are these ratings thread always about DAYS I agree it is very annoying, its bad enough that most every thread on SON is about DAYS but the whole ratings thread every week is to, I understand that DAYS is not doing that well, but either are the other soaps, and yet all we talk about is DAYS, I know I always start discussion on some of the other soaps, but normally no one else cares to comment about that soap it is right back to days. If you look in the spoiler section of SON other than a few threads I have started about ATWT and one that someone started about OLTL, it is all DAYS threads most of which could be all merged into one, instead of making it look like SON is all about DAYS and nothing else, I have said all of this before but if we make it look less DAYS centric around here maybe we would have more posters joining in, because some people don't watch DAYS, I would love to post to all kinds of topics on SON, I love this place but most of the time it is even hard for me because I don't watch DAYS and that is about the only show that most SON members what to discuss, there are some that join in the talks about the other shows, but for the most part it is all about DAYS, when someone like me or someone else starts a thread about ATWT or something like that you might get 5 replies yet every DAYS thread has 100's most of the time, so yes I can see that posters point.

And to prove my point about the spoiler section, I have my thread per page at 40 so this might not make sense to people that only have it set on 20 but anyway 19 out of 40 threads on the front page are DAYS, and in just looking at it most of them could have gone into about 5 threads instead of 19. I will say one good thing as of late though the DTS forum has gotten alot better in regards to being more than just DAYS, but there are still some days(no pun intended)that most are even all DAYS threads in there also.

And yes I am craky today, so I am sorry if this post offends anyone

• Members

Ah, okay.

That's not what you said at first. You mentioned nothing about "Why does this always turn into an all out war?" You simply stated that the thread was Days-heavy, hence mine and others replies. Thanks for the explanation, though! :)

• Members

It's not the fault of Days fans that your soap is less popular. If you want lots of ATWT dicussion, join an ATWT board. 'Til then, this board has no limit on the number of topics allowed per show each day.

• Members

We all know that NBC threatens to cancel Days in 2009, that does not mean that this show should be talked about in every thread. This in mainly why I don't come here as often as I used to. Even when the thread is not about Days, somehow Days fans turn it around to become ANOTHER Days thread.

I'm bummed cause I used to love it here but those threads don't interest me cause I don't watch that show.

I'll just have to start again new threads in the hope that they are still fans out there beside Days

Archived