DAYS: Why Nick & Chelsea should be backburnered

• Members

You know, it has occurred to me that one of the problems with DAYS is it's incessant need to put characters on screen that many could care less about. While we are used to people like Sami, Lucas, Steve, Kayla, Belle (and she's a stretch since Martha's been on since 04), there are many characters who we could have gotten used to, but were in stories that we really didn't care about.

I keep reading that people want Nick & Chelsea to be frontburner, I see no reason for them to be frontburner. Let's face it, most DAYS fans don't like Chelsea. Why? Because she has very little redeeming qualities. Whenever they do progress Chelsea some, they end up making her be selfish whenever she's wronged (i.e. woe is me). Nick on the other hand is still a newbie and shouldn't have anymore than like....6 minutes of total airtime...even that's a bit too much.

Gone are the days when teens would interact with their family in a supporting role. Now they must have "their own story" and blah blah blah. I wouldn't mind if Chelsea spent the entire summer working on her relationship with Bo & Hope. Why? Because they still have issues that need to be worked on.

Teens should be seen (in the background) and not heard from (unless spoken to first).

The two of them having a frontburner storyline (as they do now) does not serve any purpose for the show in the long run.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As much as I love Nick & Chelsea, the airtime they've been getting is ridiculous. All it does is turn people who might otherwise be fans against them. They should be cut down to 1 or 2 eps a week at the most. Having them interact with established relatives instead of in this lame triangle with Willow would also be beneficial to the characters.

• Members

I'm a big Nick and Chelsea fan, who thinks they have incredible chemistry..and they are one of the bright spots of the past few months...While i don't think they should be totally backburned, i think they should slow down their airtime a bit and give the others like John, Marlena, Bo, and Hope a chance to get some storylines..

As the banners are saying i just want the show to be more balanced....I remember the old days...when there would be stories that aired on Monday/wednesday/friday, and supporting stories that aired on tuesdays/thursdays...Maybe Days should try that...

• Members

Exactly! I didn't mind Nick & Chelsea when they had a slow burning romance and Chelsea was trying to change her life around. Hell, I even began to like Chelsea, and everyone knows that last year I couldn't say her name in a sentence without having profanity somewhere in that sentence.

However the more they are on, the more I begin to dislike them both. Why? Because they're on too damn much.

Give me Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, Maggie, Alice, anyone but these two.

• Members

GREAT post Ryan! :)

I completely agree and I even like Nick and Chelsea!

Their storyline, however, is becoming rince-wash-repeat.

Nick does something wrong. Chelsea gets mad and lashes out. Nick does something for Chelsea. Chelsea forgives him. And then the cycle just starts over.

It's bad enough that they're on practically every day, but their storyline isn't even going anywhere anymore, and all the character progression Chelsea has been making the last few months has started to be reversed, which is definitely NOT a good thing.

• Members

Honestly, many teens prefer to see veterans as opposed to teens with trumped up drama. Many of these teen characters are characters that real teens cannot relate to.

During my teenage years, I know I preferred vets over teens. Why? Because the teen drama didn't interest me...and because I had my own drama to deal with.

The crop of people that are on now, should have a serious decrease in airtime when the Big 4 return and claim their stake on the show that made them household names.

If the teens were in more stories that teens could relate to, then maybe more would be interested. Every year the networks bring out the teens hoping to capture that "elusive" younger audience, well it doesn't really work the way they hope.

And besides, Nick & Chelsea are already on, they don't need more damn airtime in the summer. Why not rotate this group and put Abby & Max on in stories with their family, and give their relationship a slow build. It's all about pacing and the amount of airtime they get.

• Members

I don't buy teens wanting to see teens on all the time either. Look at Y&R, whether or not you like the storylines, it has great multi-generational balance. Because of this fact, it scores very well across the board in all the demos.

I'm sure if you ask most teens which characters they want to see, they'll mostly say the vets who they've grown up with and know better, rather than relatively newbie teens.

• Members

WORD!

hells to the yes indeed!

soaps are an escapism, and when I was in high school, I did not want teens burning up my screens all the time. I Had enough of As NaVell's World Turns at school dealing w/ their B.S., who wants to come home and watch that on TV? I was in it for vets, vets, vets, aw/ a little teen interaction. It makes for better drama.

• Members

Also, is it so [!@#$%^&*] hard to give Maggie a damn storyline? I'm sure Suzanne's contract isn't as much as the big 4.

Days fans and NBC can bitch about being snubbed by the Emmy's, yet the only Emmy winning star of their cast (Suzanne Rogers) NEVER GETS A DAMN STORYLINE. She's been too loyal to the show for too long to be treated like this.

• Members

Retire in there 50's umm, that does not make any sense at all, most of ATWT's vets are in there 70's and 80's and still doing a great job of acting, also the one's that are in there 50's are still great and doing fantastic and I don't see them stopping anytime soon. No, soap can run on just teens, viewers just tune that out, soaps are about multi generations of characters not just teens running the show. The teens should just be wallpaper to the adult storylines not the other way around. Sure it is fine to have a teen storyline once or twice a year about them, but not the whole year.

Archived