Days: Is Anyone Sick of the Sheffer bashing?

• Members

You must remember though Days is taking the most hits, all soaps are suffering from ratings disasters.

I agree with Phoenix pretty much, though some might miss over the top stuff I don't really and could certainly do without it. Character driven stories are what I pretty much prefer.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also agree with Phoenix. There is a time and a place for camp on Days. Days has always had a bit of the camp factor, and because it is different, it inspires a different kind of fan and a different kind of loyalty than other soaps. JMO.

To me there is no other reason for the continued focus on the third-tier characters and lack of balance than Corday and NBC. Why look any further than that? Hogan was writing an entirely different sort of show in November and December, and suddenly it reverted back to the same bad ideas that we've suffered through since Kirsten Storms flounced down the stairs and into my nightmares. How many writers has this been now? And why would they all make the EXACT same mistake? The reason is Corday. He's the only constant here. Well, him and NBC. Seems pretty cut and dried to me.

• Members

Oh yes, but I said I prefer those stories. ;) But it doesn't mean I hate the action stories! I still LOVE Jan and Kristen no matter what and they are some of my favorite characters ever! :D:)

However, I did want to see Jan developed a little more....

• Members

IA Rick.

I don't want JER back btw. I've never said that. And there is no reason to call people who are "bashing" Hogan hypocrites, if and when the show gets better and people like it, that doesn't make them hypocrites it means they are telling it like it is. Just because people are NOT blinded by inconsistencies doesn't mean they are hypocrites. Fans on this board and many others dissect shows to the tee, whether they are good are bad, and that is no different for DAYS. You will never find 100% acceptance, but there are many times when a majority of people can agree on what is right and wrong on a soap, and that too is no different for DAYS.

• Members

That would be disgusting. I thought you didn't like stories like that.

I agree, and I admit that I'd really love having JER back, but that's not the only thing that would make me tune back into DAYS. JER's not the only talented writer in the world and other writers could make DAYS what it was. But Hogan isn't one of them.

• Members

Thanks Ridge

DAYS seems to have always been the soap in which half the viewers want traditional and half want plot driven, and if the writer doesn't do both, it will alienate one side ot the other. That's what's happening now IMO

I believe that once May sweeps start, most of the fanbases will be happy. *crosses fingers*

• Members

Also there is no doubt Corday has his hands in some of the things wrong with DAYS right now, but a lot of the writing just is not DAYS and is inconsistent. Is Corday telling Hogan to write:

- Kayla gets into an accident and none of her family members but the one that is during that episode (Bo) go to see her? What was the point of her accident? NO DRAMA, just a plot device. The lack of drama and the ignoring of factors that can bring emotion and drama to the show is all JER's style, it should not be Hogan's.

-Marlena is on rarely, but when she is on she is frequently involved in this dull as door nails storyline with Steve and Kayla. Is Corday telling Hogan not to write a scene (JUST ONE) with Marlena and Sami discussing her trials and tribulations... or the mere fact that she is pregnant? Instead of throwing Marlena around in this stupid storyline how about bringing the FAMILY factor back. That FAMILY factor is what people watch DAYS for.

-Make Bo hate Chelsea for one episode and then forget all about it. When Bo makes up with Chelsea make sure Nick is there. What was the point of the big fight Bo had with Chelsea (JSF, don't you think you can change your siggy now?). Their little reconcilation was plain, boring and why did Nick have to be there?

-Make sure no one reacts to the fact that Shawn and Belle are supposed to be believed to be dead right now. Bo knows but Hope hasn't even reacted to it. Marlena doesn't really care about Belle right now, her main priority is making sure Kayla is OK (and calling Sami to tell her that Kayla is in an accident) and that Steve get counseling... And Celeste has said repeatedly she believes Lexie is dead, not once has she or Abe lamented over it. Instead she must convince Sami to sedue EJ. It's been nice to see Celeste but she is being used a plot device too.

Forgetting about balance Hogan has been writing out of convenience for some time now and is missing plot beats a lot. Even with his current nuDAYS cast and stories, there is a lot to be desired from his writing. And NONE of it has to do with campy story telling. DAYS is missing drama and realism that goes with it, big time.

• Members

JSF, I love Frances Reid and just wanted to point it out.

Anyways. I have always loved Days. I loved Hogan on ATWT. I am not liking it right now. It needs to be more balanced. We need more of the vets with the new faces. Then, I will start watching it again.

I do not believe Hogan is to blame for this. He doesn't hold the purse strings

• Members

IDA.

Even though Phoenix made a good point that Hogan's heart is just not into the show because Corday is interferring. He should resign from his post because at this point, they're both at fault. Corday is meddling and Hogan isn't the annointed messiah for Days because his current writing leaves a lot to be desired.

Archived