Days: Is Anyone Sick of the Sheffer bashing?

• Members

My point Rick is that peopel were complaining under JER too and that when news of JER's ouster broke there was more celebration and praise then I had ever seen for a Days writing change. All you could see in the mags and on message boards was people longing for a return to realism and character-driven stories. That does not mean Days can't do camp or something that is off the wall but it has to be grounded and it can't be something where the fan feels like they are watching an acid trip.

I am not saying anyone is a hypocrite. All I am saying is fans tend to jump ship from Days quicker then any soap. That is all. It wasn't directed towards anyone on SON really. It was a general observation based on the past ten or so years. I am not saying peopel can't be critical. All I am saying is it sometimes borders on bashing for the sake of bashing and alot of the negative Hogan posts don't seek to acknowedge the fact that if this isn't what Hogan wanted to do, how could it be any good? Seriously, put yourself in his shoes. If you had all these plans and all of a sudden you were forced to abandon them...would you be able to write the forced stories as well? No. Why? Because if your heart isn't in it, there is no passion. You can't get excited over stuff you don't want to write. You just force yourself to write it and do your best to make it well-written but the special things...the enthusiasm and energy a HW has that carries over from his or her pen to what is onscreen...is gone. The execution is poor because it's just being written with no enjoyment at all since the HW is hardly enjoying himself. That is why he isn't speaking. He probably has alot to say but doesn't want to say something he regrets. It's the same thing Corday did to JER. He messed with the SSK and many of the other stories and everything became so watered down because it wasn't what he wanted. JER did not have the same excitement and energy present in his writing because he too was asked to change gears and write things he didn't plan or really have his heart in. It all boils down to Corday, who even shot himself in the foot in the same interview when he said IT WAS A CONSCIOUS DECISION TO HAND STORY OVER TO STEVE/KAYLA FOR 6 MONTHS. He also said that sometimes you had to look in the mirror for who is to blame. He basically admitted responsibility right there and tried to save face, as usual, by deflecting more blame on Hogan and Steve/Kayla and even Passions. He just can't accept that he messed up.

We will never really know the truth and these endless debates are getting tiresome. I guess the question that should be asked to those who aren't crazy about Hogan is...who are you more inclined to beleive? Hogan, who has no track record at Days and has a reputation on the line or Corday, who has done this before many times that it's become a yearly tradition. That is what should be asked. I just wanted to make it clear I wasn't calling anyone out or anything. It's just that I think I noticed some people's line of thinking and understand where they are coming from now. That is all.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm optimistic enough to believe that a lot of fans will be giving DAYS a chance to turn itself around this summer. But Corday and Hogan had better deliver, because it may be the final opportunity for a lot of the viewers. I'm hoping we get family, romance, adventure, mystery, drama, and the vets. I know, that's a tall order, but to get the ratings up and keep the fans happy that's what needs to happen. Keep the younger people around but let them be involved in the vets stories, instead of the other way around. We do have a talented group of teens and young adults, but we need to have them added to the canvas slowly, not front burner all the time. Hogan's a talented guy, he should be able to strike a balance that will give all the fans something to enjoy...well, except for those who want cannibals, killer clowns, funhouses, etc. :P I think that may be the over the top kind of thing that would drive fans away! But REALISTIC mystery and adventure, combined with a lot of drama and romance--I would enjoy that.

• Members

OMG....that would be awesome. Especially if they brought back Kristen Storms and Jason Cook for that storyline. Then image if Belle was scarified, and only Shawn and Claire made it back to Salem? Then in a few years, we would learn that Belle survived, and was made Queen of the Cannibals.

• Members

Totally....it would be interesting watching her trying to suppress her new craving for human flesh when she returns. This would lead to a mystery where people are being murdered and eaten. No one only suspect Belle Black as the cannibal....until she attacks Caroline Brady and turns her into Chowder!

Yeah…Think “Serial Mom”…with cannibalism

• Members

But we do have to distinguish between being critical and being fickle ... it is possible to find problems without being just a spoiled fickle Days fan, right?

Per an earlier comment, I don't think a "compromise" between Hogan and JER is exactly the solution ... it's not like the Days audience is split into two neat Hogan and JER camps. The situation is more multivariable than the differences between these two writers. The current Days audience includes fans from many eras, and they have to look at what worked the best for the most people, whether that ends up being more Hoganesque, JEResque (though I'm personally dead sick of that element), like both, or like neither.

I think the best approach is to just ask yourself what you would need from the story to be more into it, and if it happens to be more like this or that writer, so be it. A lot of what needs fixing are just basic storytelling issues, which all writers worth their salt should know regardless of style.

• Members

Ahem...

Poison lipstick

Tarot cards

Mind control

Willow Stark

Elvis the super-villain

Whoever said Hogan's DAYS isn't campy must have very high standards of camp. :P

The difference between Hogan and JER is that Hogan's camp is grounded in more character-driven stories. That is not a bad thing nor do I think it's a reason for the ratings decline. If DAYS viewers were so turned off by realism, they would have tuned out back in October instead of 3 months ago. Like Billyjill says, it's basic storytelling issues that need fixing. Hogan must sort out the balance and improve the mechanics of his stories (ie. better pacing, building of momentum, more dramatic events etc). Returning to the acid trip that JER gave us is definitely NOT a solution.

• Members

These are all the same things repeated over and over again. It is very annoying.

This is my first post on the thread and haven't bothered reading much of it. I am still a Hogan supporter but feel the show lacks vision.

• Members

You keep repeating the same like 4 posts and it's very annoying. If you want to get your post count up, there is a place for that. Copying and pasting the same post over and over is considered spamming......

Archived