Outstanding Drama Series & Outstanding Writing/Directing Team

Toups

• Members
Is it that weird to imagine going crazy growing up in the Spaulding household? To me that is character-based writing, not lack of originality.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I'm sorry, but I see many three-dimensional gray characters on GL. Alan may seem like a cartoon to you, but he does what he does out of support for his family, and what he does is never going to be predictably bad. For instance, when he sent away Alan-Michael to save A-M from himself, and stood by to support Buzz at the almost-wedding to Olivia, that was far from cartoonish. Rick Bauer is not a "good guy", he is a well-intentioned but weak man like his father Ed before him -- for instance, he has also had problems with addiction. His connection to Ross's death was an accident and was out of wanting to help his friend Phillip -- is that so wrong? Isn't that gray? I thought you wanted gray characters, but now you seem to be saying Rick should just be a one-dimensional "good guy." This is not unprecedented behavior for Rick to go out of his way to help those close to him, even when it's not ethical, as a look at the "Crimes Committted" section in his Soap Opera Central profile shows (although I wasn't watching then). Dinah, I am enjoying quite a lot thank you -- her devotion to Mallet and unorthodox means to try to protect him as for instance in her confrontation with Blake, as well as her concern for her mother and for Matt, are not the "bottom of the barrel" to me. I agree that Beth is really different now and this was not sufficently explained. Other gray characters have included Natalia, Rafe, Cyrus, Olivia, Cassie, Lizzie (how's she more cartoonish now than under the previous regime exactly?), and Jonathan.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence just because I don't feel insulted by David Kreizman's writing, and because I feel DK and the entire GL writing team (since the award is not just for headwritiing, it's for all the writers) deserved the award.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

DK certainly is no great head writer.... but compared to the rest of daytime, I think GL's writing is one of the better teams. Just my personal opinion.

I just think GL needed this.... maybe it will give the show a few more extra years. It just should not have been tainted by Y&R tying them. B&B and OLTL IMO considering on what episodes they submitted, deserved the award alot more than Y&R.

What Y&R submitted should not have even secured them a friggin nomination. The system is so junked up.

• Members

^I think the only reason Y&R got a tie was because many believed they were snubbed last year. People in the industry, like Michael Bruno, threw a fit over GH winning last year, and Y&R losing, which caused some backlash against the blue ribbon panel (who votes on whom is to win). Still, GL deserved that award by itself. IMO, whoever wins Best Writing, should automatically win Best Drama, but that's just me.

DK may have his flaws, but I'd take him over people like Latham, McTavish, Higley, Guza, and JER any day.

As I've said before, GL submitted two incredibly solid reels for its Writing and Series consideration, which is why I'm glad the show was tops in both categories.

• Members

jfung I think what Michael means or at least what I think he means and certainly how I feel is that when the cancer storyline began it was good...Kim Zimmer rocked, she rocked that whole storyline with the crap she was headed. And yes it is logical to keep it from your family at first, however when it goes as far as six months and Reva not telling her husband, which the story would have been so much better had Josh and Reva pulled together and fought this together instead DK took the usual route...split them up like all the other writers in the past have done! Furthermore Reva fought the cancer and was told she was going to die...over and over and over and over again and then all of sudden, just in time for November sweeps...Reva closes her eyes...sees the light and is healed! Saved! That is disrespectful to all cancer survivors around the world. I wish I could close my eyes...see a light and be healed of everything! That is what is so bad about DK's writing!

Kriezman and Wheeler have had so many opportunties to rebuild GL and I will give you that EW is a good producer and that DK has some good ideas he just does not know how to follow through with them!

• Members

Yes the show was rightfully robbed last year. LOL ABC really got it stuck to them this year. They had their lowest nomination total ever and only won one of the major categories. Um hint hint Anne Sweeny?

At least the writing regimes are changing. September Fronsie's contract is supposedly up. One can hope he'll be tossed too. Doubtful though.

• Members

I know I hated GL for that storyline. Even to this day the only reason I might ever go back to GL is because of Jonathan and Tammy. And if Edmund returns and redeems himself. I don't even know if hes dead or alive but I don't care. I want him to come back and marry Cassie and then all will be right in the world. During the process he can eliminate all the Spauldings and finally heal the wound/rift between himself and Jonathan by protecting lil Sarah.

That being said though if there had to be a tie it should have been between OLTL and Y&R. IF I had to pick only one I'd pick OLTL over Y&R.

• Members

I don't understand why GL didn't deserve the award for submitting two very well-written and well-acted episodes. Now, if we were to base GL on the entire year, then I would probably think twice before saying they deserved it. And while this year is going pretty crappy, I think GL might have another great shot at winning the Emmy with the episodes surrounding Tammy's death.

Y&R does NOT deserve the award for the Carmen crap. I'll say it again: if GL wasn't going to tie with either OLTL or B&B, it should have been the only soap allowed to bask under the spotlight.

• Members

You know what?

That's a very good point SpiritualJunkie. While I myself found this year to be one of the worst, the show did have a few good episodes, esp. surrounding Tammy's death.

I think it just angers me that a man who has squandered the potential of GL, not noticing what a utter gold mine he's sitting on when it comes to being the Head Writer of the oldest soap opera when you have the Bauer, Spaulding, Marler, and Cooper families. Instead choosing to have such a narrow and unbalanced focus of storytelling one mostly featuring the Coopers, that awarding him the Emmy for best writing is sad when you look at it for the whole industry. All those nominees are just as worse as him. It's like all those times that Guza won for writing GH, when you know the show was bad the entire year, w/the exception of a few episodes.

• Members

This is probably never going to happen but I hope DK winning the Emmy for the two shows he submitted for best writing now gives him more motivation to write more episodes like that. I mean, he was able to come up with many good consecutive episodes earlier this year.

GL right now is spiralling into a wasteland in terms of which characters they are writing for. They have too many newbies but I gotta admit the writing for them is not too bad. Nevertheless, if a person who only started watching the show a couple of years ago now finds themselves going WTF at the huge cast turnover, there's a problem.

Archived