Daytime Emmy Nominations: Discussion

Josh

• Members

I resent the implication that DAYS and PASSIONS aren't just as much worthy of awards as the other soaps. Just because they might be a bit campier than the others, that shouldn't mean the actors who would be getting all these nominations on another network don't deserve them here on NBC.

And yes, ever since AW and BEACH left the air (over SEVEN YEARS ago, no less), NBC HAS gotten the shaft. DAYS and PASSIONS are the only two soaps that I'm aware of on NBC, so that would seem to imply to me that yes, NBC IS being shut out of the Emmys, time and time again.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry that you resent it.........and I wasn't implying anything BTW. I believe I came out & said it.

My point was that, if NBCD had a running lineup right now of Another World and Santa Barbara, or even say GH & OLTL, they'd be in there getting nominations with everyone else.

This is an AWARDS ceremony, for pete's sake! Those of you that think the quality of writing/production isn't a factor when judging actors are seriously delusional....

Using that logic, I think the cast of ALF was SERIOUSLY overlooked in the 80s........ I mean, Max Wright had to play off a damn puppet week in & week out.......You wanna talk about rising above the material.......

• Members

But it DOES. Have you seen an Academy Award ceremony where the 5 nominees are a bunch of actors from grade C movies who rose above their material? No, you don't - the acting nominations tend to come from the cream of the crop, the most highly-regarded films of the year.

Same thing with the PrimeTime Emmys- don't expect 'One Tree Hill' or 'The OC' sneak in there and steal some acting noms. Won't happen.

So why should the Daytime Emmys be any different?

• Members

I understand your own personal favorites not getting nominated, it sucks! But...

- Don't boycott the Daytime Emmy's! That is not going to prove anything...it is just going to show those higher ups in primetime, "no one watches this stuff" and they'll push it further and further back or completely off the air! That is not what we want to see!! Support the entire daytime community!

- Plus it only takes that ONE tape! ONE tape...is that to say that KA (Hope) didn't deliver or that NGL didn't have an Emmy worthy storyline...NO!!!! It is just to say that according to those people who judge someone else had a better tape...ONE TAPE is all it takes...

• Members

I don't know why anyone is shocked or cares anymore. But whatevs. The Emmy's are awful.

Honestly, yesterday came and went for me. I had no idea about the nods nor did I care. If this was in DTS I would noticed, but since it's not, I didn't pick up on yesterday being the day.

I will be rooting for GL at the Emmy's per usual.

• Members

I think you're using a massive amount of spin.

It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with numbers. I believe Days received nominations in 1999 (including Best Drama, if I'm not mistaken) and it was absolutely HORRENDOUS in 1998. We had Vivian's mood-altering tooth chip. The introduction of the Walker family. Hope's brain chip, turning her back into Princess Gina. Totally bizarre, idiotic, out there bullsh!t. And it still managed to get recognized. Why? Because AW and SuBe were still around. It has everything to do with numbers... nothing to do with quality. Everyone knows this.

• Members

I agree. The same people would be mad if there shows got shutout.

No one can tell me that NBC doesn't have actors since AW and SB went off that deserve it. These awards are supposed to be reflection of all the soaps and daytime. The best in daytime should be represented. When I look at the nomination list and see that a fair amount of the performers nominated should not be there, that to me says alot about this system. It's not even about NBC anymore...some good ABCer's got snubbed too. Every awards show has snubs but the daytime emmy's have had more snubs then any other award show I have ever seen. It's one thing to have snubs but when you have a list a mile long of those that should be in there is a problem.

There is no way to spin it. They suck and the system sucks. Period. For those saying Days and Passions are campy and different and that is why, what do you make of "Desperate HouseWives?" They are campy and get nods. Yes, I know it's primetime but it's camp and it gets recognized. B&B is campy all the time but they get nods. That is BS if you ask me. Days lost alot of it's camp last year and it didn't matter. Days in 2002 submitted solid material and still didn't get in. 1999 with Sami's execution was solid material and they still didn't get in. Days can be the best soap on the air and still get nothing because they don't have as many shows. That is ludicrous and shouldn't make a difference.

Here is a suggestion--make a panel of voters full of soap writers and have them decide all this. At least they watch the shows and aren't biased completely towards one network.

Also, those that say don't boycott the emmy's, NEWSFLASH!!! Whether or not we watch or not, the ratings are going to take because you may as well call the emmy's the CBS DAYTIME AWARDS this year. When you excluse one network and snub alot of the deserving performers from another, don't expect people to watch.

• Members

Yeah Kenny you are right that AW & SuBe were still on but that was under the old system. Under that system Days and Passions both could still get nominations today because it wasn't based on network. Under that system even Bold & Beautiful couldn't get nominations because they didn't have a large enough cast.

That was the year that after many of them like Brad Bell began to rally for a change. That was the year that the magazines put out the articles about the block voting began to surface naming Y&R, Days, AMC & ATWT as the chief users of it. Any show back then with a large enough cast could pull in nominations. Many of them I know specifically that William J. Bell was stated as doing this would pay for the membership to the academy for every contract player so that they would vote for Y&R people.

So even today with their cast Days could still stand a chance at getting the nominations. The old system favored larger casted shows while this system favors networks.

If the old system was still in tact since so many shows have had big cast cuts you would see the system favor shows like GH, Y&R & ATWT right now who probably have the largest casts out there.

The year that GL got so many nominations - I think they got like 9 acting nominations - Jill Farren Phelps even admitted a few years later they block voted. She was at AW then and used the technique while there and got them a lot of nominations. She said she learned it when she was at Guiding Light.

I looked up something to clarify a statement I made earlier in this regard. I said day players and recurring players were not allowed to vote. I checked other sources and they say they were. The shows were sited for doing this too - paying for membership for their recurring and day players so they could vote too.

I looked at About.com and even found another post about it on Clint Ritchie's website.

• Members

Yeah but should CBS have done this when for the first almost 10 years of the show they were overlooked while NBC followed by ABC got the majority of the votes.

It was almost 10 years into the awards before CBS got any great amount of love. Their shows were still good but NBC dominated daytime at the time and they dominated the awards. I love AW but look at 1978 when Laurie Heineman won? She wasn't even on that much that year. She had enough episodes though. In 1979 Irene Dailey who I love won for AW, but she wasn't lead that year either, but in the tapes she had she was good.

There have been many times that actors & actresses have gotten in under the old system and under the new that shouldn't have been. Can you honestly tell me that Peggy McKay or Frances Reid deserved to be in the Lead category the years they were. They were clearly supporting those years, but no one complained like they are doing to poor Jeanne Cooper this year who has basically done the same thing they did.

When you look at the history of the awards ABC is the only network that has been consistent with getting love from the Emmys. Only until the last 2 years did their love start to wane. I remember one year that AMC was pretty bad but when the awards noms came out AMC was up there with many nominations because of the old system.

During the mid 80's there were categories where ABC was the only show to get nominations.

Not once have I ever read that CBS in all the years it was ignored or overlooked gotten mad at the other networks. I respect them for that.

It took years for daytime to even get these awards. They can be easily taken away and when they are it will only contribute to soaps being gone - so I agree with Josh and others we shouldn't be boycotting the awards. Should CBS or any of the other shows boycotted the Soap Opera Digest awards all those years ago when even though they got nominations from the magazine they had no chance of winning because Days won all of them? No they shouldn't and they didn't.

I would personally have no problem with any show boycotting the magazines when they are not covered. I would love to see AMC, OLTL, Passions, GL, ATWT & B&B say we are not going to give out any more news to the magazines because you guys don't care about us. It might not hurt them much but it would hurt and hopefully the mags would either go away and then they would learn a lesson for ignorning the other shows and their fans for the likes of Days, GH, and Y&R all the time.

Sure the Emmys are unfair but so are so many other things in daytime. In the end it all just balances out.

• Members

Judging is subjective. You and many others may not like her, but someone else could look at her and say "WOW! She's the greatest thing since GARBO!"

Oh, and she had believable dialogue. That usually helps. :)

If you're using Natalia Livingston to prove a point about DAYS/PSNS actors deserving noms......... well, you're just proving mine. Because MY point is that if Natalia were on DAYS/PSNS, she wouldn't have scored a nom or a win- because the writing & production wouldn't have been there. On GH, however, she's golden.

Honestly, if Lindsay Hartley were playing Sam McCall, don't ya think she'd have an Emmy nomination under her belt?!?

Steve Frame explained the old system so well that I don't really need to. I see why there are conspiracy theories out there, but I could also see where the performers that were nominated could have easily had the better tapes.

She either learned it at SB or she worked on GL before SB (which I think she may have) because I know for a fact that they bloc-voted when she was the executive producer.

Archived